BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'86 e28 power windows not working

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  catso 
#1 ·
So this is my first post, I'm new to this site

I have a 1986 535i e28 and the windows stopped working, where can I look to solve the problem?

#3 ·
Many times window problems are either the switch or a fuse. If it's just one window, the switch is likely the problem. Confirm it by switching the bad one with another switch. You can buy replacements pretty cheaply or even repair the problem by taking the switch apart and cleaning up the corroded contact points.

#4 ·
msam1911's link is to Wheeler Dealers - S01E03 - Saab 900 Turbo, so not much help there. If the windows all stopped at the same time I'd check the circuit breaker on the right side of the panel below the steering wheel - it might have been inadvertently pressed.

#6 ·
The power window fuse is #6, under the hood. The power window relay is located on the relay panel, under the dash, by the hood release lever. Fuses sometimes appear to be OK, when in fact they are cracked or warped and current does not flow. Try checking with a volt meter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.