BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 Z3M Road - Good DIY books?

Z3 Roadster (E36/7) 
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Randy Forbes 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! :)

I have a '00 Z3M Roadster and I'm looking for some books for service, parts, projects, DIY etc... I already have the Bentley Service Manual. Are there others that I should pickup?

Thanks in advance!

TC

#5 · (Edited)
I check the 2 forums, use Google and also pelican parts DIY section, and I do have the Bentley manual a good source of info but definitely not the end all source. Then we have mz3.net, Unofficial BMW.com, waycoolinc.com or Esmeraldas fixit page. I try to bookmark everything of value when browse the various forums. The members here are invaluable for help and future projects!

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I figure I'm following in many of your footsteps. No doubt, this forum helps a ton. Thank you again!

I was checking eBay for the TIS CD/DVDs. I found a few that covered a range of years supporting all BMW models. Are these worth picking up? Any better than using the RealOEM site?

Thanks again,

TC

BTW, I will post some pics of my ride after I sort a few more things out...it's coming along. I've seen some of your Zs, dang I got some work ahead of me! :D

#7 ·
Sorry, but as for me I have never used TIS. I have used All Data but was not impressed for foreign cars, and to be fair that was a long, long time ago.

I was checking eBay for the TIS CD/DVDs. I found a few that covered a range of years supporting all BMW models. Are these worth picking up? Any better than using the RealOEM site?
:D

#8 ·
The TIS is what the dealerships use; it far and away surpasses the Bentley manual for completeness on any given model.

The ETK (parts catalog) is useful, but virtually the same as realoem.com. I prefer the Penske site, as I can search for parts (and up to date pricing) more easily.

The ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual) is invaluable if you need to trace a single wire. Consider that the ETM of my 01 comprises over 400 pages, nearly what the Bentley devotes to the entire car, so how complete is Bentley's wiring diagrams?

The KSD (flat-rate manual) is useful for quoting how long a given job should take, if it's something you haven't done before. It's "unit" of measure is seven (7) minutes; take the number of units per task and multiply by 7 for total time.

Those are the most useful CDs of the routinely available sets found on Ebay, and practically any issue date with have the complete data for these "old" cars (the first 1.9s now being seventeen__17!__years old...). Given that whole sets are available for $15-20 (and they're far-far more complete) it amazes me that Bentley can sell their books, but yes, I have one too...

#10 ·
For a Z3 owner, anything post-03 will do. Personally, I like to have updated versions now and then, but not sure about the last release date; at some point, they put it online for the dealership guys__something about the CDs always being bootlegged...
:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.