BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear swaybar swap for E39

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  vexed 
#1 ·
Just ordered an M5 rear swaybar for my 2001 530i. It's supposed to be a very easy install, but when I look under the car isn't doesn't appear quite so simple. Has anyone done it themselves? Do I need to raise the car? What tools do I need?

Thanks,

#2 · (Edited)
It is easy with the right tools. The trick is there is a nut that is encased in a rubber boot on the opposite side of the bolt that you can see for the sway bar links You can't really see that nut but you can feel it. You need to get a open wrench to hold the "hidden" nut and then a wrench to turn the one you can see. I think they are 16mm but it's been a while. The bushing brackets are easy, the new bushings fit right in. I jacked my car up some have claimed there is no need to but IMO if you jack it up the swap is easier. Good luck!

Edit: I did use the swap as an excuse to buy a combo rachet wrench which really made it easier. :DWith the right tools it is a 25 minute job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.