BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

what you think?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  TheOnlyE36 
#1 ·
what do you think peeps too much like starsky and hutch?
got this of ebay and have done all the work myself over the last year,buying mainly of ebay,including the car 316i £170

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
so far

so far,lower springs,new shocks,new discs,pads,drums,shoes,angel eye lights,lexus rear lights,m3 mirrors electric,m3 style front and rear bumpers,side skirts(still to go on)and m3 contour alloys(getting refurbished)so this is how it looks to date.
nearly finished (thank f**k)

Attachments

#8 ·
To be honest, I'm not huge on the color scheme, and I strongly dislike the Altezza's (I think the Euro (white n red) lights would work better with your color scheme too).

That said, I do think it is very impressive you did all that work on your own, and it looks like you put some serious detail and care and quality work into it, and I say great work for that!

#10 ·
I admire the amount of time you put into the car. Looks like you've put a lot of time into it to make it look as good as it does.

I must say, though, that as a matter of opinion, the Altezza lights are hideous. The colour scheme is a bit naff, but it's original and different. The only thing actually irritating about the paint job is the wing seems out of place. I would've brought the red line up to the wing, or had the wing painted white. The Power badge also has the /// (Motorsport) lines at the beginning, so unless there's an ///M engine in it, I'd take the badge off and replace it with the original 316 badges. ///M badges would be okay though, on any ///M parts (steering wheel, interior enhancements, mouldings, etc), but using the ///Power badge isn't right. An ///M3 badge wouldn't be, either.

Basically, if I somehow came into posession of your car, the lights would be the first to go. Clear tails are just gross, then I'd probably use some other colour rather than white, then either paint the wing that colour, or bring the red up to the wing. Then I'd rebadge back to how it should be. The roundel would also be brought back to white and blue. BMW is no other colour - it's blue and white (of the two badging issues, that's the one I tend to be more specific about).

That's just my rant on the subject.

#12 ·
its impressive you did the job yourself, really.

If i didnt know about contours, i'd recommed you the following:

black or white OZ superturismo style rims with getting normal lights. This would pull off the racing look better (or rallying rather)

chrome rims (even contours) - would tie in nicely the whole chrome theme you got, but I'd recomend getting rid of the white or red, thus keeping car in one color.

Oh, and please lose the Mpower badges.

Its just an opinion, since you asked for it mate. But in any case, it's very impressive you did the job yourself, and your next E36 will surely benefit from all the knowledge. I think that you will sell yours after you realize that 1.6 motor is not what you want in a car that is so heavy.
Good luck!

#14 ·
thanks for all the comments guys,a little constructive critisim never hurt anyone.a few points.only keeping for a short while as have my eye on an 98 m5,this was just a learning curve for my self,giving it to my boy when he passes his test hence the 1.6 and boy racer styling,tried to see how much it would all cost,buying of ebay and breakers yard,trying my first spray job etc,in total including purchase of car just under £900.anyway im gonna keep it like it is and funny enough the contours are going chrome,will post the finishing pics shortly with the alloys and skirts on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.