BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Considering an M6

13K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  AVB-AMG 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

In the fall I am deciding between either a 2013 650i xDrive, or the M6. Living in the NE, and given the tremendous torque these cars have, I am leaning towards AWD. But this car won't be a daily driver, and likely see <5000 miles per year, so I think a RWD car would still be doable assuming I have the right tires per season. On the other hand, I don't feel like driving my wife's car every time the weather gets hairy.

Can anyone with M6 experience living in the Northeast chime in? How does it work in the snow, assuming just a few inches and some good snow shoes? How about regular driving in the rain, or sandy/salty roads? Is traction control continually making its presence known? Can you rip out of a parking lot without breaking the arse-end out? The one good thing about the 2013 xDrive is that the HP bump is considerable, and all of it usable given the power delivery. Both cars are tremendously fast, but only one is an M.

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it! :thumbup:

#2 ·
I live in NJ which gets a considerable amount of snow in the winter. However, it is a crap shoot. This year, we didn't see any snow. The year before, we got tremendous amounts. Anyway, it is so new that no one will probably have any feedback until winter comes along. I have two other cars that I can use in the snow so it wasn't really a consideration when I bought the M6. I have driven it in the rain and saw no problems with traction at all in low and high speed driving. Maybe get a fwd or awd second car that you can use in bad weather?

#3 ·
Thanks Jettie,

My wife's SUV is always available in a pinch - so I'd be covered if needed. But it's a big let down driving that thing. My previous 5-series saw 3 days of snow this season, and about 100 days of sand, salt and related debris - which I see as just as important. That car was severely hampered by the summer performance tires (duh) - something I won't repeat for this coming season. I've used Blizzak's on a RWD car before and was very impressed. But I wonder, if I am putting winter tires on my M6 for 6 months at a time, with the resulting reduced driving dynamics, is there a point in getting an M over the vanilla xDrive?

#4 ·
I'm never put winter tires on my rwd cars. With that said, I also don't use them when it's snowy or icy outside. Even in the winter time, it's only a handful of days that I really can't use a rwd car. Where are you located? It would be hard to imagine that you're snowbound all winter long where you are.

#5 ·
In New England (RI to be exact). I didn't mean to give the impression we were frequently snowbound, but the winters from season to season can change pretty dramatically (you know this of course). And after the first few snow falls the roads are rather suspect with all the sand, salt and melt/mud that stays behind - usually for months at a time. And of course it's always rather cold regardless. It's nothing that a lack of stupidity can't take care of, but it may still skew me toward the xDrive.

#7 ·
Want a coupe!!!

#8 · (Edited)
Well, just as an update - looks like I will be moving forward with the 2013 M6 instead of the 2013 xDrive. Build details are below:

Singapore Grey Metallic
Canyon Brown Full Merino Leather. (was Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather, including the alcantara headliner)
Piano Finish Black Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Executive Package
B&O Sound System

Looks like I will be taking delivery in the fall, so I will have them swap the summer tires for a proper set of Pirelli Sotozero winters. Looking forward to it!

#9 ·
Well, just as an update - looks like I will be moving forward with the 2013 M6 instead of the 2013 xDrive. Build details are below:

Singapore Grey Metallic
Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather, including the alcantara headliner
Piano Finish Black Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Executive Package
B&O Sound System

Looks like I will be taking delivery in the fall, so I will have them swap the summer tires for a proper set of Pirelli Sotozero winters. Looking forward to it!
What happened to my precious Citrin?!?!?! :mad: :)

#10 ·
Google the color and lots of pics will show up. It's teh sex!

#13 ·
Thank folks. jettie - the story in a nutshell is that I ordered a 2012 xDrive several months ago, before delivery and upon hearing about the 2013 HP bump, I wanted to refuse delivery of the 2012, and put in an order for a 2013 instead. I was slightly miffed given how new the 650 is, and it was something I basically predicted a while back, but was told by the dealer not to expect it. So I gave them 3 options 1) I refuse delivery of the 2012, eat the deposit, and order a 2013. 2) Eat the deposit and go elsewhere with my business entirely. 3) Take delivery of the 2012 and trade for a 2013 assuming they make me a good deal on the trade in.

I chose 3 because they are basically giving me full value for my 2012, with minimal depreciation upon trade. For the M6, the transaction is a bit less advantageous for me given that it is more sought after, but worth it IMO.

#14 ·
Just a tweak to the order. Going with the full canyon brown interior, not amaro. I don't get the lighter headliner, but I like the color better overall.

#17 ·
Thanks for reminding me! Had to cancel my xDrive "regular." Getting 2 6ers - now that would've been AWKWAAAARD!

#18 ·
That awkward moment when you have to pick between two hot twins...

What's wrong with getting both? Then you'd have one that stays composed in all situations and the other is all kinds of fun by being a freak in the sheets... I mean on the streets.

I want to clarify that I'm talking about the cars in case that wasn't clear ;)

#19 ·
Now in production! Status 155 as of yesterday!

#20 ·
On the boat!

PS. In case anyone is actually following this.

#21 ·
Woohoo! Hard part's over - at least that's how it was for me. It hit the boat, took 14 days to get to the port, and it was at my dealership within 48 hours. Can't wait to see it.

#22 ·
Let's pray for 2 weeks. It'll be the longest 2 weeks in a long time!

#23 ·
#24 ·
LOL don't think that didn't cross my mind! :eeps:

#25 ·
Winter tires have landed!

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Deciding between a 2014 M6 and 650 xDrive Coupe

Hello everyone.

I am a relatively new member of Bimmerfest. Like a number of the previous posters in this forum thread, like xDrive McGee and jettie1767, I also live in northern NJ and have been trying to decide between selecting either a 2014 M6 Coupe or a 2014 650 xDrive Coupe to serve as my next daily driver. The practical and cost saving choice is clearly the 650 xDrive Coupe, but once you test drive the M6 like I did, it really does put you in a different dimension and state of mind, as well as a silly grin on my face.

I spend about 2 ½ hours a day, M-F in my car commuting so I want to have a nice car and interior environment to enjoy during this time on the road. Either vehicle would fulfill that requirement, but I do prefer the subtle body modifications of the M6, especially the rear end treatment, compared to the 650 Coupe with the M Sport Package. The black diffuser on the lower bumper area around the exhaust pipes, (on models with the M-Package), is not attractive or appealing to me aesthetic tastes and I understand why some owners, (ShakeDaddy) has gone to the effort to have his 650 Coupe's rear diffuser painted to match the body color, (which is a major improvement). Both vehicles have excellent performance and are very quick in 0-60 mph with the M6 just a tad faster. Ultimately, the powerful engine in the M6 and its glorious exhaust burble sound is music to my ears.

Luckily, I have a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG that has served wonderfully as our weekend and long road trip / vacation vehicle. It has all-wheel drive and I put winter snow tires (Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 295/40R 20 XL's ) on in early Dec. and have them swapped with my summer performance tires at the end of March. Therefore, I can use this vehicle when snow is forecasted or on the roads, leaving the BMW at home. For extra "insurance" I will most likely also purchase a set of 4 Winter/Snow tires for the M6 for the same 4-month winter season as on the ML63.

So today, I pulled the trigger and placed an order for a 2014 BMW M6 Coupe with the following specs and options:

***8226; Alpine White Paint
***8226; Sakhir Orange Full Merino Leather
***8226; Executive Package
***8226; Driver Assistance Package
***8226; Bang & Olufsen Sound System
***8226; 20" M light alloy wheels

The only differences between the 2013 and 2014 models, is a slight base price increase to the 2014's and adding ventilated seats to the Executive Package and reducing its total price. Also, the 2014's will have the upgraded iDrive and possibly an enhanced internet connection through BMW Assist; (this last one is not really clear to me yet....)

I will be leasing this vehicle for 36 months at 15,000 miles per year through BMW Financial Services. The only BMWUSA provided financial incentives available for this vehicle is the $750 BMW Owner's Loyalty Cash. Like a number of posters in this forum, over the past 5 months I did my research. I visited multiple BMW Dealers in our region, test drove both vehicles, checked out M6's and 650's with various paint/leather color schemes and have read many interesting posts on various threads on Bimmerfest. I was able to get a good and fair, (win/win) deal with a local BMW Dealer agreeing to an approx. $1,000 over the invoice cost of the vehicle. All in all, it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience for an auto enthusiast like me***8230;........

As most NJ drivers are aware, the conditions of our highways are improving but still not in as good condition as those in southern climates that are not exposed to de-icing road salts spread by most municipal DPW's trucks. Our secondary roads are fair at best with horrific pot holes and ruts appearing about this time of year that can be bone jarring and wheel denting experiences. With this in mind, I will also purchase a Wheel and Tire Protection Program (insurance) for this vehicle for peace of mind when a road hazard causes damage.

Finally, from my reading about the experiences of others in this forum, I have signed up to take a one-day BMW Performance Driving School down in Spartanburg, SC and will then take delivery of my new M6 at the BMW Performance Delivery Center the following day. I figure I will certainly enjoy learning firsthand about this vehicles capacities on a track after having some knowledgeable instruction, using someone else's M6 , tires and gas. This will be followed by a leisurely (yeah right***8230;....... ), drive back to NJ through the Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia and PA, avoiding the monotony of I-95.

Once I have the vehicle I will post some photos here. Until then, I also want to say that I appreciate reading all of your posts on various questions, traits and nuances regarding the M6 and 650 Coupe. They have been most informative as well as entertaining***8230;....... I hope to add my "voice" to your ongoing conversations.

#27 ·
Congratulations! Great choice and very nicely optioned. Your color choice is absolutely stunning in person. I'm typically not a fan of bold colors, but there's a sophistication about Shakir Orange that most similar colors lack. I spent a good bit of time in a very similarly equipped M6 when I did the 2-day M School back in January, and it was simply amazing. My car was only missing the extended Merino, and it really bothered me as I've become accustomed to my Nappa-wrapped cocoon. I love my 650xi, but the M6 is truly a monstrous machine. Throwing that car into a corner with minimal traction control and sliding it around is unbelievable fun.

Check out my posts from the M School (see my blog - link in the signature). PM me if you've got any questions.

Btw, my diffuser is still factory but it's (somewhat) hidden by the blackish paint. We've had a few threads in the 640i/650i forum about the questionable looks if the diffuser, and the general consensus seems to be that it's more attractive on the cars where it disappears (Carbon Black and Space Gray to some extent). I think the diffuser was more of a marketing decision than anything else. The true "quad exhaust" had to be saved for the big ticket M6, but the rear needed something more than repositioned reflectors.

#28 ·
Congrats! AW/Sahkir is a hot combo. :thumbup:

I test drove both cars also, but the M car lost out to the 650xi's comfort, traction, and its ridiculously low 36m/15k total lease cost - less than $40k (including $5.9k in taxes/fees) for a $106k 6er. :D

Now if there was an M6x, I would have ignored the other two disadvantages. ;)

#29 ·
That will be an awesome ride. Since you already have a heavy duty snow schlepper I think you made the right decision. When I was considering the xDrive versus M6, the price differential was not huge ($10 I think, maybe a bit more) once I loaded both cars up with the options I wanted. Looks like it'll be a great ride and you can't really go wrong with either...

#30 · (Edited)
thank you for your comments

Thank you southern6er22 for your comments.
I certainly realize that exterior paint colors and interior upholstery color combinations for automobiles are a very personal and subjective issue, based on one's taste and preferences.

For most of the 2012-Present BMW F12/F13 models in both 650 and M6 variations, I have seen one of the offered dark colors, especially the blacks, as the most frequent body paint color and black leather for the interior. The 2014 BMW M6 exterior body paint color selection does not offer the traditional BMW silver and I was not sure I wanted to go with the blue/green tinted silver called Silverstone Metallic and the Space Gray Metallic is too dark for my taste. IMHO and subjective taste, I consider the M6 to be one of the best looking vehicles that BMW has produced in a number of years and appreciate its more "attractive" appearance, compared to the previous Bangle approach. My general preference is to go with a lighter color on a vehicle like this which then allows its body shape and designed contours and detailing to be highlighted by the natural (or artificial) light, creating subtle shadows, accentuating the sculptural aspect of the body.

On my 2007 M-B ML63 AMG, as well as for my former 2004 M-B E55 AMG and earlier M-B's, I have always selected a very traditional metallic silver for the body paint color and black leather, as a practical choice since it does not show dirt as easily as a lighter color. For this vehicle, after searching and seeing first hand the Alpine White on a M6 convertible and the Sahkir Orange Full Merino Leather on a different M6 Coupe, I was able to envision the Alpine White Body / Sahkir Orange Interior as a much more pronounced color combination than what I had selected for my previous vehicles. If I had gone with the 650 xDrive Coupe it would have had the Titanium Silver body color and Red Leather interior, which I would love to have for the M6, if it were available. I have a 1961 M-B 190SL roadster that I had professionally restored in the late 1980's, where I elected to keep the original M-B Graphite Gray exterior paint color and red leather interior color. I still enjoy that combination and recognize it as a very typical Germanic, M-B color combination of that era, (see My Garage).

I agree with you that the black rear diffuser on the darker colored 650's is not as much of a disjointed appearance as I find it to be on the lighter colored cars. Having seen the difference of the partial vs. the full leather in these vehicles I elected to pay the premium cost for the full leather. I have black Nappa leather on the full dash of my ML63 and wanted the same on the M6.

Also, I agree that there is something very special about the quad exhaust pipes on the M6 vs. the larger single pipe dual exhausts on the 650. I admit to being OCD when it comes to keeping my vehicles clean and my wife always rolls her eyes when I am filling up the tank at a gas station I also tend to check and if necessary, wipe the oily black carbon soot from the chrome lips of the exhaust pipes. (I know, I know, it is really obsessive***8230;....)

Dunderhi: Now that M-B AMG's are becoming more available with all-wheel drive for the 2014 model year, it is probably just a matter of time before BMW follows suit with a number of their M6 vehicles, in addition to the X5M and X6M. If the M6 was available with all-wheel drive now I would have taken it. I wonder if the M6 Grand Coupe may be one of the first BMW performance sedans to have that feature?
The comparison of the lease payments of the M6 and 650 xDrive Coupe is significant, with the M6's payments around $400 more per month. I am pretty good at rationalizing the "value" of the automobiles that I elect to lease and this was the biggest hurdle. Other that the all-wheel drive capability in the 650 xDrive Coupe, the only other feature that I may miss is the sunroof that can be tilted up for some quick and relatively quiet natural ventilation of the cabin. Yet, the black carbon fiber roof on the M6 makes sense and looks really cool to me. Ultimately, I decided that I would enjoy the M6 more for the next 3 years and that was worth the additional cost.

BTW ***8211; I average about 16.5 mpg for mostly highway driving on my ML63 AMG, which looks to be around what you get as your average mpg on your X5M.

xDrive McGee: Thank you as well***8230;..
You are right to say that one cannot go wrong with either. Since I have the ML63 with summer and winter sets of tires, I have more flexibility than someone who is looking for one car for 12 months of driving in the northeast US. If I was truly a practical driver and purchaser of automobiles, I would probably have selected a VW, but alas I prefer automobiles where their styling appeals to my senses and are quality products produced in an ever increasing cost-cutting, volume-driven, commoditizing industry.

#31 ·
Dunderhi: Now that M-B AMG's are becoming more available with all-wheel drive for the 2014 model year, it is probably just a matter of time before BMW follows suit with a number of their M6 vehicles, in addition to the X5M and X6M. If the M6 was available with all-wheel drive now I would have taken it. I wonder if the M6 Grand Coupe may be one of the first BMW performance sedans to have that feature?
The comparison of the lease payments of the M6 and 650 xDrive Coupe is significant, with the M6's payments around $400 more per month. I am pretty good at rationalizing the "value" of the automobiles that I elect to lease and this was the biggest hurdle. Other that the all-wheel drive capability in the 650 xDrive Coupe, the only other feature that I may miss is the sunroof that can be tilted up for some quick and relatively quiet natural ventilation of the cabin. Yet, the black carbon fiber roof on the M6 makes sense and looks really cool to me. Ultimately, I decided that I would enjoy the M6 more for the next 3 years and that was worth the additional cost.

BTW - I average about 16.5 mpg for mostly highway driving on my ML63 AMG, which looks to be around what you get as your average mpg on your X5M.
Agree, the carbon roof looks really sharp. The M6 I test drove was Sakhir Orange with a black & carbon interior and CF roof looked really good with that combination. I will have admit I made the CA very nervous during the test drive. ;)

I was tempted by the E63 4matic when the news broke, but I was, as one of the F10 guys put it, pregnant with the car buying bug, so there was no going back once I started. :rofl:

At nearly 17mpgs with the X5M, I really surpirsed with the X5M. I was hoping to get 15.

#33 · (Edited)
AMG Exhaust Sounds & ML63 traits

southern6er22:
I have to agree with you on the wonderful sounds of the naturally aspirated AMG engines. It is one of the highlights of driving these vehicles. I enjoyed my '04 M-B E55 AMG with its supercharged engine and its special sound and subsequently continued the special sonic experience with my '07 M-B ML63 AMG with its 504 hp naturally aspirated engine.

For kicks and giggles, here is a YouTube video of a ML63 similar to mine that allows you to hear the sound of its engine and exhaust:

I was very impressed with the sound of the 2013 M6 Coupe that I test drove, both with the windows up (it was only 34 degs F. outside) and with them down for a very short period. I used the paddle shifters to purposefully keep the transmission in a lower gear during accelerating and decelerating just to be able to hear the engine and exhaust sounds at higher revs.

dunderhi:
You and I have a similar "garage" with your X5M and your 650 xDrive Coupe.
I considered getting a 2008 X5M when my 3-year lease ended on my ML63, but realized that essentially, other than updated electronics, my car was not all that different of a driving and hauling vehicle compared to the X5M. I had a very well maintained vehicle with 36,000 miles that I was able to purchase from M-B Financial for $1,800 below my original lease's residual value, which made the decision much easier. Today it has almost 70,000 miles and has been a wonderful vehicle serving in its role.

I use the ML63 primarily for my wife's and my weekend excursions and as our long-trip/vacation vehicle. The long highway trips to and from our beach house in NC will average between 7 - 8 hours of primarily highway driving. My wife either flies or drives down to the house in her car a couple of days in advance of me, so effectively, I am the "mule" with the cargo, (which I do not mind at all....). I enjoy the drive, being able to see the countryside along the eastern shore of MD and VA, listening to either Satellite Radio or an audio book on my connected iPhone and am quite content...

I usually have my wife's and my luggage, along with two golf club bags and a case of wine and a case of beer, so therefore, assume an additional approx. 200 - 250 lbs of cargo weight. Also, I always have used the M-B recommended Premium 93 Octane fuel.
I do find that when I pull away from a stop light with a bit of gusto, my MPG will decrease noticeably, but my youthful enjoyment of the g-pressure feel and guttural exhaust sound of the brute power of the naturally aspirated 63 engine is sometimes just too hard to resist. This vehicle is everything I had hoped it would be, understanding that the one real negative was that it would always be an expensive premium gas hog. My rationalization is that I just add the cost of the gasoline to the overall "cost" of the vacation or the expense of consistently putting a smile on my face when I drive my ML63.

I am really looking forward to getting the new M6 as a stable mate to my ML63. Having never had a M-series vehicle I am excited to finally have the chance to experience it first hand over an extended period. I am realistic enough to know that none of these vehicles are problem free. Both AMG's and M-series vehicles suffer from the annoying and embarrassing loud brake squealing noises that come and go, etc... But these high bred luxury performance vehicles are what makes driving fun and not just a necessary functional machine providing transportation of getting from point A to B.

#35 · (Edited)
southern6er22:
I have to agree with you on the wonderful sounds of the naturally aspirated AMG engines. It is one of the highlights of driving these vehicles. I enjoyed the '04 M-B E55 AMG with its supercharged engine and its special sound and subsequently continued the special sonic experience with my '07 M-B ML63 AMG with its 504 hp naturally aspirated engine.

For kicks and giggles, here is a YouTube video of a ML63 similar to mine that allows you to hear the sound of its engine and exhaust:

dunderhi:
You and I have a similar "garage" with your X5M and your 650 xDrive Coupe.
I considered getting a 2008 X5M when my 3-year lease ended on my ML63, but realized that essentially, other than updated electronics, my car was not all that different of a driving and hauling vehicle compared to the X5M. I had a very well maintained vehicle with 36,000 miles that I was able to purchase from M-B Financial for $1,800 below my original lease's residual value, which made the decision much easier. Today it has almost 70,000 miles and has been a wonderful vehicle its role.

I am really looking forward to getting the new M6 as a stable mate to my ML63. Having never had a M-series vehicle I am excited to finally have the chance to experience it first hand over an extended period. I am realistic enough to know that none of these vehicles are problem free. Both AMG's and M-series vehicles suffer from the annoying and embarrassing loud brake squealing noises that come and go, etc... But these high bred luxury performance vehicles are what makes driving fun and not just a necessary functional machine providing transportation of getting from point A to B.
I will have to say AMG does have one of the best exhaust notes in the industry. :thumbup:

We use our SUV pretty the same way - the Mrs' runabout, weekend adventurer, and highway warrior. It's funny, but she drove the requirement for the X5M. After driving the 335d for several years, she because addicted to the instant thrust of the diesel motor. Unfortunately, the 35d motor did not feel the same way in X35d, so she tried the 5.0 V8 and she still wasn't happy. She test drove X5M and wanted to buy that one on the spot, but I had to convince she needed to compromise and let me get one equipped with perforated seats and a leather dash - I have needs too! :rofl:

#38 ·
2014 M6 Coupe Delivery

I am scheduled to take delivery of my new 2014 M6 Coupe at the BMW PC in Spartanburg, SC during the first week of June.

#41 ·
jettie1767:
I think you are right....
I look forward to meeting you and other Bimmerfest forum members and our cars at a local/regional meet sometime in the near future

#42 ·
Vehicle Delivery Update

I learned yesterday from my CA that my new 2014 M6 Coupe is scheduled to arrive at the Port of Charleston (SC) on 5/10. Once it clears US Customs it will be trucked to the BMW Performance Delivery Ctr. outside of Spartanburg, SC where I will take delivery at the end of the first week of June.
The anticipation and excitement is building on my end.....:roundel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.