BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Valentine One (V1) install on e93 (convertible)?

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  srward 
#1 ·
Hey people. I have an e93 M3 and I am aware of all the great DYIs available to install the V1, but none deal with the e93 overhead dome/map/center light (whatever it's called). How do I get this thing open? Does the same green and white wire exist in the e93? Does the hex nut ground exist in the e93?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
run a tap from the fusebox behind the glovebox.
easy and safer than the overhead.
lots of threads on this.
if i can do it so can you.

#3 ·
+1

That is a much better way to go.

CA

#4 ·
i concur

#5 ·
Piece of cake

I just did it last night on the same vehicle. The fuse box is the way to go. I mounted mine on the passenger side sun visor using the Vallentine sunvisor mount. This way cops can't see it from the driver's side as they shoot you. The only awkward part was getting the flat phone cord from the A pillar down to the underside of the glove box - my fingers are too big to pull the rubber gasket out and slide the wire under it. Eventually, it all came together.

#6 · (Edited)
OH CRAP! I just noticed you have a convertible, so my comments may not help at all! Sorry, it may help someone with a coupe or sedan.

Do a search on V1 installation here and on E90 Forum and you'll see some great close-up photos of how to pop out the dome light assembly. Here is my recollection of the process. Using the screwdriver from the tool kit in your trunk, pop off the translucent white lens for the dome light. I tried to remove the dome light assembly WITHOUT doing this first and I about crapped my pants when the lens popped off anyways - so just remove it. Then, you'll slide the blade of the screwdriver between the front of the dome light assembly and the headliner. The exact location can be seen in some of the photos on this and other sites...but basically since there's two clips, they are pretty much where you'd expect them to be. When you feel the clip release, then you'll have to grab it and hold it or jam a different screwdriver up in there to keep it from snapping back into place. Then of course release the other clip. The whole assembly can then be eased out and will just hang by the super giant sized wire bundles. I think you're right about a green wire with a white stripe, but there are two of them up there in that mess and they're wrapped in some SUPER STICKY electrical tape stuff. I couldn't remember which of the wires it was, so I stuck each of them with my super sharp tipped electrical tester until I was certain I found the proper switched wire. Using the supplied V1 wiring I snapped that cool quick-splicer into that hot lead and loosened a ground screw that was on the LEFT side of the opening screwed into the roof. Tested it a few times turning the car on and off and working the sunroof before stuffing all the wires up there and passing the power cord through the front of the headliner so it pops out by the rearview mirror. IMPORTANT: If you have any intermittant problems with the V1 using this method, then CHECK YOUR GROUND - some people drill a new pilot hole and screw in a fresh ground screw. I hear all the people talking about running a wire from by the glove box or the fuse box, but I'm like you...I've always used the provided V1 hard wiring and I'm too old to change! Good luck...it should take you 30-35 minute if you totally take your time.

#7 ·
Just to weigh in on this,

I did the dome light V1 hardwire and I'm not happy. It seems the draw on the wiring up there is insufficient and every time I open or close the sunroof it sucks the power away from the V1 and it reboots. Its REALLY annoying! The wires up there are really thin! I plan on doing the fusebox tap this spring. My advice is NOT to do the dome wiring.

#8 ·
Power cuts off with Sunroof

To dlpuette: I think I know why you're having the power cut off. I had the same problem. I put the ground wire on the wrong bolt. Look at the following link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120107&highlight=valentine+diy

The bolt you need to use is a little difficult to reach (i.e. you can't get a socket on it straight because the headliner is in the way). There's another bolt/screw that's much easier to reach that you might be tempted to use, but it will result in power being cut off every time you move the sunroof (and at random times also).

I moved the ground wire to the proper bolt, and have had zero problems since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.