BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Pathway Lighting - How do you start it?

21K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Shocktopus 
#1 ·
I have my "Pathway Lighting" set for 60 seconds in my iDrive settings. The manual says to turn off the vehicle, and then pull back on the headlight stalk ("flash to pass") to turn on the Pathway Lighting. Mine doesn't work.

Anyone else having issues with theirs?
Does it work with the headlamps in "Auto" mode?

- Mike

#2 ·
The headlamp switch needs to be in 0 or Auto. The key needs to be completely out.

What happens when you try to activate pathway lighting?

#4 ·
I have mine on auto.. then just pull the stalk as though I was highbeaming.

#5 ·
I've tried it with my light set on 'Auto'; key off iginition and then lightly flash the high beam before I got out of the car (that might have something to do with it to - what if u just got into your car and accidently hit the flash; i don't think it goes off then - the car just knows)

#6 ·
I have my "Pathway Lighting" set for 60 seconds in my iDrive settings. The manual says to turn off the vehicle, and then pull back on the headlight stalk ("flash to pass") to turn on the Pathway Lighting. Mine doesn't work.

Anyone else having issues with theirs?
Does it work with the headlamps in "Auto" mode?

- Mike
the car cant be in radio readiness mode (aka, engine off, radio still on)

hit the stop button twice to completely shut down the car, then pull back on the stalk.

should work. drove me nuts until i realized the car had to be completely shut down for it to work.... it was a DUH moment. damn Comfort Access

dont get me started on the DUH moment i had when i thought my adaptive xenons were broken (they dont swivel to the left unless the car is moving, only to the right when stationary)

#7 ·
That may be the problem! I have CA, and my car is always "powered" (yes, the radio stays on) until I shut the doors and lock it. Let me go try it...

#8 ·
Well, holy sh*t! It worked!

The Owner's Manual should be very clear about CA vehicles needing to be completely powered-off - it is not. This has been driving me nuts for eight months!

Thanks for your help.

#15 ·
Yeah the two-pushes-for-really-off thing is a bit annoying sometimes. My passengers are always telling me I left the radio on when we get out.

#11 ·
Thank you~~!!

Thanks Orient330iNYC - :dunno:I thought I was losing my mind, or worse that my pathway lighting was broken...even after reading the manual cover-to-cover, I somehow missed that you have to hit the start/stop button twice to completely shut down or pathway won't work. Thanks again!

#12 ·
Ignition Taking a long time to start

Please help! Im in a 2009 328i, 6k miles. I am experiencing that my push button ignition is taking up to 3 seconds to turn over when I try to start the car when it has been turned off for a while. Every morning car takes up to 3 seconds to start?

Anyone experience this is the new 09's?

#13 ·
Please help! Im in a 2009 328i, 6k miles. I am experiencing that my push button ignition is taking up to 3 seconds to turn over when I try to start the car when it has been turned off for a while. Every morning car takes up to 3 seconds to start?

Anyone experience this is the new 09's?
Wrong thread buddy. Try searching- MULTIPLE threads on the topic :beerchug:

#19 ·
sorta.... when the car is completely off and you pull back on the turn signal stalk, parking lights, headlights and i think the puddle lights come on for a settable duration, to light the path. most useful if you have a dark driveway to walk down.

#20 ·
the car cant be in radio readiness mode (aka, engine off, radio still on)
hit the stop button twice to completely shut down the car, then pull back on the stalk.
should work. drove me nuts until i realized the car had to be completely shut down for it to work.... it was a DUH moment. damn Comfort Access
That may be the problem! I have CA, and my car is always "powered" (yes, the radio stays on) until I shut the doors and lock it. Let me go try it...
Yeah the two-pushes-for-really-off thing is a bit annoying sometimes. My passengers are always telling me I left the radio on when we get out.
I take it then that I am the only one that holds the start/stop button that extra .5 second to power down the car. It eliminates the need to double tap the button or locking the doors to shut off everything. Just another alternative.

#23 ·
I'm a very busy man, I don't have time to sit around holding buttons.

/actually I didn't know that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.