BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rhine West BMW San Antonio? update

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Got the news yesterday that my tranny was in fact fried. Wow, never in a million years did I ever think something like this would ever happen to my car but it has .
RW called me back with the sickening details regarding the damage to my tranny. They quoted me $5721.00, :eek::yikes: I really need some help here guys, Ive no idea what I should be paying for something like this. I feel its a bit pricey. dunno?

The claim with Penske has been filed, all I have to do is send them the quote from Rhine West and start praying they pay. I feel our case is strong. The craziest thing is even yesterday after talking to Penske's risk management the guy at the San Antonio store had called me back, I threw a couple of questions his way to see if I could get a read regarding his opinion regarding the claim. I ask him why the penske rep in Phx would suggest a car dolly for towing an AWD vehicle to Texas when I looked on their own website it clearly states that a car carrier/flatbed should be used for AWD vehicles? His response was the same as it was the last time, which was good for us in my opinion. He said " when we input that vehicles information into our system, which as he put it, is set up to pull all specs on all vehicles telling them how to tow that specific vehicle, that their system says that the tow dolly will work for a BMW X3 2.5! He ask me two different times about the car, "Is your car a ........ ? Thats the car you have now? Weird?

So, thats where Im at right now. Well, Im actually sitting in a travel trailer up N on the 281 while my hubby plays in the dirt... lol. expanding the road actually.. Anyway if anyone has an opinon about the quote number please do tell. Im headed down to the shop sometime today to talk face the music and make a decision so, any comments would be helpful.

Where are the San Antonio BMW folks at here?

Thanks so much

Much love........ :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Tischer BMW lists a factory rebuild (as good or better than new) for $3,354.00. So if the price is for a rebuilt unit it sounds about right. If it's for a junkyard tranny I'm not so sure.

If you are considering keeping the car, and can swing the extra cost (or get Penske to pay all or most of it), I would go for the rebuilt unit. I know this has hit at a bad time (been there myself) but it will work out one way or another. Just try to hang in there.

Does Rhine West have any source of financing if Penske balks?

#3 ·
... Where are the San Antonio BMW folks at here?
Mentioned this in your initial thread: BMW of San Antonio is located immediately south of the San Antonio International Airport on US-281. They're the only show in town; the next nearest BMW dealers are in Austin.

Although you can see the dealership from US-281, it's not intuitively obvious how to get over there from the highway. Coming from either direction, it's probably going to be best to get off at the airport exit (S Terminal Dr.) and take that to the intersection with Airport Blvd. Turn right onto Airport Blvd. (heading away from the airport terminal) to Hallmark Dr. Turn left onto Hallmark, which should allow you access to the dealership parking lot.

I think if I were you I'd start gathering some evidence together in case Penske balks. If you can pry it from the Penske folks there in San Antonio, get them to print out a copy of the towing recommendations from their system. That failing, you might also print out a copy of the trailering recommendations from their web site. Save all your rental paperwork, particularly if it has any of this type of information on there. Patience, thoroughness, and due diligence on your part is going to be the best approach to this. I know you want it fixed yesterday, but these things just take time... Hopefully Penske will own up and admit they goofed in their trailering recommendation so the repair process can begin sooner than later.

Can't really comment on the repair quote Rhine West has provided; about the only thing I can speculate is that a BMW dealer is almost certainly not going to be cheaper...

#7 · (Edited)
I think if I were you I'd start gathering some evidence together in case Penske balks. If you can pry it from the Penske folks there in San Antonio, get them to print out a copy of the towing recommendations from their system. That failing, you might also print out a copy of the trailering recommendations from their web site. Save all your rental paperwork, particularly if it has any of this type of information on there. Patience, thoroughness, and due diligence on your part is going to be the best approach to this. I know you want it fixed yesterday, but these things just take time... Hopefully Penske will own up and admit they goofed in their trailering recommendation so the repair process can begin sooner than later.
+1

I may be overly suspicious, but I would print out from the Penske website NOW before they have a chance to change it.

Communicate with Penske in writing, either email or US Post. If you have an "informal" conversation with a Penske rep, summarize it and send the summary to Penske. All that adds to the paper trail. If Penske is not cooperative you'll end up in small claims court unless you want to hire a lawyer. The paper trail will help. Also get written estimates from the dealer, and maybe an indie too.

This is a terribly frustrating situation and I wish you the best! At the end, you shouldn't have to pay a dime to fix their mistake.

#4 ·
Im sure the dealership will be much higher. I think RW is quoting me for a brand new tranny not a rebuilt one and Im also sure that they have zoned in on the (Penske) claim I filed not pinching on ANTHING. I think if penske werent involved the pricing might be a bit lower. I think so, who knows lol.

Im saving all the paperwork and stopping by penske and get a copy of the towing recommendation on my way down to RW. What Im concerned about is if I decide to go with RW to fix the car how Im gonna be able to pay them up front. Im pretty sure they arent gonna be doing any work on the car until they have been paid. How do these situations work, you know? I cant come up with 5700.00 out of pocket and wait for that claim to settle. Well we could but it would be 2-3 pay checks... All of each. Any suggestions?

#5 · (Edited)
... What Im concerned about is if I decide to go with RW to fix the car how Im gonna be able to pay them up front. Im pretty sure they arent gonna be doing any work on the car until they have been paid. How do these situations work, you know? I cant come up with 5700.00 out of pocket and wait for that claim to settle. Well we could but it would be 2-3 pay checks... All of each. Any suggestions?
Typically no automotive repair shops -- even the dealerships -- charge you up front. Generally speaking, you will not get your vehicle back until the repair bill is paid...

Like "usaret" suggested, ask Rhine West if they offer financing options for high-dollar repairs. If you've got the credit limit, you can almost certainly put it on your credit card, but the finance rates on carry-over balances are not favorable these days...

#6 ·
My Experience with the "Stealership" in San Antonio is that they Suck Eggs!!! I have had my X3 in the for service 7 times for a 4x4 light coming on with each drive cycle, I picked it up last week and the light has not come back on since,
I guess the Shotgun technique works most of the time...I live in A.H. so getting to the Dealership is very easy....get on 281 from Basse road and go North, and it is on your right hand side...DO NOT take your car there!!!! wish i would have known about Rhine West before hand.

#8 ·
Penske's paying the claim!

Im so freaking happy, Penske has decided to pay for my transmission. wowowowhoooo. I dropped my girl off at Rhine West and they quoted me $5721.00 for a new tranny, submitted it to Penske with current registration and about 3 days later they called and said they were honoring the claim.

I am soooo lucky, my husband is lucky rather.... he's still breathing... He wont be towing anything of mine ever again, or driving my car for that matter.... whew.......

yippppppppppppie........Should have my car back in about 10 days...... yesssssssssss.

I wanted to thank all you fellas here that took the time to help me with this, I couldnt have done it without ya.

As always.

much love..

lee:thumbup::D

#10 ·
... Penske has decided to pay for my transmission...
Well, that's certainly good news! Glad to hear it all worked itself out smoothly! :thumbup:

... I wanted to thank all you fellas here that took the time to help me with this, I couldnt have done it without ya...
No worries! That's what we're here for!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.