BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car care (Best Tips and Tricks)

Tags
clean wash wax
5K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  MattieB 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I didn't see a post like this so I thought I give it a shot.

So, what is the best way to clean your car?

Washing the outside?
- Tire Shine
- Wheel cleaner
- Wax Job
- Do it yourself or get it done

How often to do it?

Cleaning the inside
- Leather care
- Dashboard care

Cleaning the engine to make it looks fresh and clean.

Share what you think is the best way to clean.

#2 ·
My boyfriend uses Speed Shine on my car after he washes it. Its sort of like a faux wax and it smells like bubble gum :) Griot's Garage has a whole slew of things for your car. There are tons of things you can do to keep your car shiny and looking nice.

#4 ·
That is a cool site. Thank you.

#8 ·
There is a great forum on this site (see links above). But sometimes they are a bit too advance for the average Joe. I recently purchased Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax. I've used all sorts of spray polishes and this is my favorite to day - by far. Wash your car, then spray is on as you dry it with a microfiber towel. That's all there is too it! And it actually makes drying the car easier than if you used nothing at all. I used a clay bar on my car a couple months ago. Since then I haven't done anything except this simple spray wax technique. My is the smoothest/slipperyist/glossiest I've ever seen it. Sure, it doesn't even compare to the stuff you'll find in the detailing forums. But if you don't have hours to spend using a buffer and three different kinds of polish, you should give spray wax (I'm sure there are other good brands too) a shot.

#11 ·
autogeek.net, a sponsor of bimmerfest.

I tend to use PS-21 products and Poor Boy for the wheels.

#17 ·
Now where the hell did THAT come from?

Nah. I'm a newb too when it comes to the detailing stuff. Soon now, I'll be able to spend a couple of days removing these swirlies that bug the hell out of me. I'm not sure how they got there (dealer prep?), but they've got to go.

(Of course, I'm the only one who sees them.)

#13 ·
I used to mock the hardcore Zaino guys, but I tried it myself and was impressed with the results - and I only used the AIO polish.

After using various polishes over the years, I can't go back to organic wax. While a good wax may produce a wetter look (more suitable for showing the car, I suppose), it doesn't hold up to the abuse of daily driving. Properly applied polishes will survive numerous rains, and can be applied in direct sunlight. The only real downside is that they're a bit harder to work with (e.g. they can streak if you use too much).

#19 ·
Zaino, Zaino, Zaino and then more Zaino.

#21 ·
Thank you all for your advice. Very helpful and great sites. This should really keep my new car looking fresh and new.

I think I might stay away from waxing and just go with the spray on for now. And after a few months, get a professional detail to really have it stand out.

Thanks again.

#24 ·
BTW I just bought:
  • Micro-fiber washing mit
  • Micro-fiber towels
  • Soft (medium) bristled brush for the rims
  • Turtle wax (it's been around for years)
  • Coral blue liquid soap
  • Magic Tire black (squeeze spray bottle, not aerosol, though the stuff you rub on with a towel is awesome too)
All this stuff cost me abotu $30-40 and will last forever.

In terms of windows:
Windex + Newspaper = best window clean you will EVER get

I estimate wash/wax should take me about 1-1.5 hours.

#25 ·
#27 ·
And I won't delegate this task to any family members. I don't want you guys calling "child services" on me.
Why the hell did you have kids for if not as slave laborors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.