BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I love my snow tires

1K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  ProfessorCook 
#1 ·
Hi...
I have a 335iC (sports package) and haven't switch from my snow tires to regular. I love the way it feels the road.... Anyone else not switch off there tires yet? Do I really have to? The regular tires don't feel as smooth. :(
Any thoughts?
thanks!
Polly

#3 ·
What type of snow tires do you have? (Size? Brand? RFT?)

If you leave your snow tires on, you'll find they'll wear down quickly. The rubber compound in snow tires gets too soft on hot pavement. You should probably switch back.

That being said, you should be able to find summer tires that give you a similar ride.

#6 ·
I don't think New England has gotten warm enough yet!

(BTW this is joke...you should be able to get summer tires to match the feel of the winters. Tirerack can probably point you in the right direction)

#5 ·
I still have mine on.

They're 16" Dunlop WS M3 "winter" not "snow" tires, and we're still at the peak of pothole season here in the Garbage State. I plan to switch over by the end of the month, but I'm also not planning on going on any long trips.

#9 ·
jezus. what are you doing dude? If they ARE winter tyres like you say, their operating temperature begins from around +5C and goes down from there. Above that and you are killing them. They will wear quicker.

#14 ·
Not necessarily. My winter set is minus one size (17") compared to the stock summer wheels (18") - that alone makes them ride softer, although they are also RFT. Plus, add the softer compound the winter tires are made of - it gets even softer at higher temperatures.

#15 ·
Hey Polly, you might want to switch to non-runflats for all seasons...I just got a set of F1 all seasons, they are pretty decent on these crap roads here, but if you do buy a set, buy it from Goodyear itself, there is one in Somerville I went to, and get the lifetime warranties on them at Goodyear. I just replaced one the other day for free on the way back post-call and hit a pothole in the dark and rain. Crap roads here.

#16 ·
FYI, goodyear is doing a silent recall on the F1 all season if you have noise issues.

someone posted this on E90... gary from tirerack seems to confirm this. Goodyear makes another similar all season, the eagle GT. i'm using one as an extended use spare.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your call and for placing a new order today.

Under a special accommodation from Goodyear, the Eagle F1 All Season tires you purchased from the Tire Rack in November 2007 are returnable for full credit.

· Purchase eligible replacement tires in the Goodyear Eagle tire line from the Tire Rack
· Tread depth of the original tires must be 2/32***8221; or above
· Please provide the VIN# from the vehicle the tires were installed on.
· They cannot have any damage from mounting or dismounting
· Original tires must be returned at your expense to:

The Tire Rack
RA# xxxxx
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628

I've been instructed to direct all inquiries of tires purchased direct from us to our customer service/ warranty dept at 1-800-428-8355, ext 360. I'm pretty sure that any F1 A/S tires, (regardless purchase date) that have developed unreasonable noise levels are eligible, but I'd suggest checking with them to be sure.

#20 ·
I would change them asap. Many snows have special compounds in the outer part of the tread and once it's worn off they aren't much better than normal all season tires. That spongy outer part is probably what's making the ride smooth, but you'll miss it in the snow next year.

#21 ·
Let's all be nice to Polly, 'k? (She's not a dude, 320.)

Polly, most of what these guys say is spot on. With your RWD vert, you're going to really want a separate set of wheels and switch to true snow tires in the winter unless you have another car to drive. Even all seasons won't protect you as well in the winter and they won't be as much fun in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.