BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to buy BMW E39 wiper blade refills

127K views 271 replies 98 participants last post by  haolibird 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you use when you need to replace your E39 wiper blade rubber inserts?

Went to the AutoZone near me but they didn't carry the 25" drivers side nor the 22" passenger side Trico or Anco wiper blades for my E39.

Looked 'em up on realoem to find the E39 wiper set of to be
- SET OF WIPER BLADES 61619070579 $50.78

But confusingly, the drivers side replacement part numbers are listed as
- WIPER BLADE RIGHT 61618209746 $30.13 +core
- WIPER BLADES 61618217711 $13.95

With the passenger side wiper part numbers just as confusingly listed as
- WIPER BLADE LEFT 61618209745 $30.13
- WIPER BLADES 61618217711 $13.95

Looking at the realoem picture below, I can't tell what the difference is between the various part numbers.

Can you edify me as to the answer to these questions?
1. What rubber refills (part number?) do YOU buy for your E39?
2. What is the difference between WIPER BLADE LEFT ($30) & WIPER BLADES ($14)?
3. Why does only the right side require a core charge and not the left side?

PS: It should be but I don't know why the title isn't "How to buy E39 25" driver side & 22" passenger side wiper refills"

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Your best bet is to call the dealer. I've seen many posts in which members here pay less than $12 for both sides. They're called re-fill blade inserts, or something like that. Heck, I think they even install them for you free of charge.

#4 ·
Maybe the E39 blades are 22" and 26" instead of 22" & 25"?

Looking up more details, I see Euro Parts Direct says they are 26" and 22" respectively (instead of 25" and 22" as this bimmerfest thread says they are).

Wierdly, that bimmerfest thread says two odd things:
1. The dealer is cheaper (they say) than buying elsewhere
2. They trim a 26" Anco/Trico blade to 25 and 22 inches respectively

Can someone clarify the confusing information presented here?

Attachments

#6 ·
Which part number is just the rubber wiper refill?

Ooops. We all posted at the same time. This is wierd information.

Which of those part numbers is just the rubber wiper refill anyway?

Seems that this bimmerfest wiper blade myth thread says the dealer is cheaper (for just the rubber part of the wipers). Wierd.

This bimmerfest thread discusses mixed results, some spending little and others a lot at the dealership (who is said in that thread to dremel the blades down to size for free). Even wierder.

And this thread suggests buying the wrong part and then cutting it down to size with metal clippers.

I really hate to go to my local dealer (stevens creek bmw) because of their known fraud ..... but it seems like the dealer is really the first place to go (or are they)? I can't bring myself to trust them after all they've done to my friends.

#8 ·
How long is the driver's side rubber insert anyway?

> How long are the BMW E39 wiper blade refills anyway

Wow, a quick search in http://www.mileoneparts.com for the part number 61618217711 shows TWO DIFFERENT lengths for the same part number

600mm (24") and 639mm (25") but not 660mm (26") as implied here.

I'm so confused!

Attachments

#117 · (Edited)
Called my local dealer now and they said $3.63 each BUT they won't install them for free. He said the same thing about them having the metal tabs that you break off. Has anyone installed these? Just want to make sure its as easy as pulling the old ones off, cut off the tabs for the new ones and slide them on. Any tools besides pliers?

Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
+++Dealer. I would almost never suggest going to the dealer for ANYTHING. But wiper blades, definitely yes. And don't worry about the size--you will need to cut them at the perforation notches to fit. First blade may take you about 8 minutes to install. The second one in about 2 minutes, once you get the idea.

#61 ·
and as we found out in the last thread i started the fender liners are cheap at the dealer too

Just bought those 2 parts myself. They are cheap enough from the dealer; about $20.00 each, that it does not make sense to order them from Pelican...unless that's more convenient for you. For a year 2000 528i, they are part numbers 51-71-8-159-425 and 51-71-8-159-426. Your numbers for your later model 5 series might be different. They are called Fender liners; lower left and lower right.... Pelican does list them; about $15 each.

#12 ·
Bluebee...it's really quite simple...just step back a bit and clear your head. :)

In the diagram below...item #1 is the WHOLE wiper blade mechanism which INCLUDES the metal part + the rubber blade (note how there's a braket for #1 that is connected to #2). The part nbr index below the diagram also indicates that there is a separate part nbr for #1 & #2.

Item #2 is the rubber "refill" that is made specifically for the different lengths for the left or right whole blade assembly.

Then BMW also sells a "generic" rubber refill (BMW part # 61 61 0 154 441) which is NOT listed in the online part database...and is the refill that several posters above are referring to. They cost (usually) around $3 each but they are the same length (right or left). The metal reinforcment piece that runs down the center of the rubber refill has pre-indented cuts that allow you to snap off the metal to the size that you need...then you just cut the rubber with a pair of scissors to match. (I HIGHLY recommend these refills). Check out how much they cost at the BMW websites you're familiar with like "mileoneparts.com" (BMW part # 61 61 0 154 441).

#13 · (Edited)
The BMW parts list and diagram is just plain wrong

#1 is the WHOLE wiper blade mechanism which INCLUDES the metal part + the rubber blade. #2 is the rubber "refill" that is made specifically for the different lengths for the left or right whole blade assembly.
Aha! I think we can all agree that the realoem diagram is extremely confusing, to say the least! And so is the parts list, which calls everything a blade even when it's not a blade.

If #2 is the rubber of 26" and 22" lengths and #1 is both the metal of the same length and the rubber of the different lengths, then what that tells me is the diagram is just plain wrong.

The diagram shows the rubber on the wiper arm side, when, in reality, the rubber has to be on the opposite side of the wiper blade. Right?

And, I would wonder if even the parts numbers are wrong because the #1 part number is different for the left and right side but the #2 part number is the same (how can that possibly be if #2 includes the different-sized rubber refills for each side??????)

Luckily, your third part number should work out because of what you said about adjusting the size of the refills by snipping off at 26" and 22" respectively.

Why is something so simple so confusing when you look at the diagram and parts list?
I think both the diagram and the parts lists are just plain wrong. Hence the confusion.

Attachments

#15 ·
I think you are making this out to be more difficult than it needs to be (though I agree the diagrams are confusing). Just go to the BMW dealer parts dept. and tell them you have an e39 and would like replacement wiper blade inserts and the parts dept. guy will know what to hand over to you.

#16 ·
I agree that most dealers are reasonable when it comes to wiper blade inserts. However, there is the occasional stealer that never passes on an opportunity to maximize their profit (much like Wall St). Mine fits the latter category and it is painful to patronize a vendor with bad attitude.
I suggest you call their Parts Dept and get a quote. If it is reasonable, buy them. If not, go online (as I do) and get them there. Get your filters too and you'll probably get free shipping (& no tax).

#17 ·
I agree with Fudman...some dealers won't miss an opportunity to gouge...so the BEST thing to do is ask for the SPECIFIC part nbr...in this case 61 61 0 154 441. If you go in and tell them you want refills for an e39...depending on the knowledge of the parts counter clerk...they may go into the database and pull up the part nbr from the diagram (61 61 8 217 711) which costs more money.

If you already know the BMW part nbr you want...ASK specifically for that number. Why? Because you already have knowledge of what it should cost on average, and that it fits your car etc. And it helps the clerk by not having to go in raw and look up the part nbr...which makes for a happy clerk. :D

#104 ·
That's the whole point. Makes for a longer more confusing thread. How did we manage to buy wiper blades (all of us) before this thread?! Why would one ask how long the wiper blade should be? Go out and measure. The inserts come long. You cut to fit. 5 pages and three years later... If you are paying more that $5 a set wherever you buy them, you are paying too much. KISS

#19 ·
FWIW I bought my replacement inserts from BavAuto. But I paid like $20, I do think dealer is cheaper. But I understand where you're coming from re not wanting to give them business if you've been treated badly.

Another point though -- if they offer to put in, say Yes. I found threading through the metal tabs a little difficult and time consuming.

#20 ·
Who would have thought there would be this long a thread on wipers? :)

FWIW, I replaced my blades at autohausaz.com. I replaced both the metal and rubber parts which came as one set for both sides as part # 3397001539 for $30.18.

The rubber blades are also available there as part # 61618217711 for $5.54/blade. These come as the 639mm (~25 inches) that you're supposed to trim down and this is the part that comes up if you enter 61 61 0 154 441 in their search box.

#45 · (Edited)
Threads get long when the answers continue to be wrong

Who would have thought there would be this long a thread on wipers?
I think partly it's long because I'm looking for the right answer and we got lots and lots of (what turned out to be) wrong answers (at least for my three local dealerships).

We finally found the right answer, but, not after more than eight (8) suggestions saying the local dealer (is, should be, might be) cheaper when they were all wrong (as it turns out in the SF Bay area anyway). Very wrong.

Another reason is that the BMW parts diagram is (now so obviously) wrong.

Add to that the fact the BMW part number on realoem also turns out to be mostly wrong (given the recommendations that came out of this thread)...

So, until you know the answer, we finally get to the right answer (at least given my three local dealerships).
And, once you already know the right answer, (which is different for different locales as it turns out), then it's trivially simple.

I'm not blaming anyone ... I'm just explaining three reasons why something as simple as a wiper would have a more lengthy thread than one would otherwise expect.

#21 ·
Wipers are only simple if you don't question the data

Looking back on the answer to these questions?

1. What rubber refills (part number?) do YOU buy for your E39?
It looks like most of you buy from the local BMW dealer a quantity of two (2) BMW part number 61-61-0-154-441 (which is just the rubber wiper inserts), and then you cut the rubber down to 26" and 22" respectively.

2. What is the difference between WIPER BLADE LEFT ($30) & WIPER BLADES ($14)?
It looks like "WIPER BLADE LEFT" is both the metal and the rubber insert; while "WIPER BLADES" are just the rubber inserts. The different sized WIPER BLADE LEFT and WIPER BLADE RIGHT metal and rubber combination has different part numbers while the different sized WIPER BLADES for the left and right side have the same part number. Go figure.

3. Why does only the right side require a core charge and not the left side?
Nobody seems to know why but nobody mentions a core charge, so, yet again, the parts diagram and table must just be plain wrong (three times on one table gets a bit confusing).

4. Why is this thread long (some seem to have wondered).
If you don't try to make sense out of the data in the parts tables and diagrams, there's no need for this thread. However, if you're trying to make sense out of something that doesn't at first make sense, then, well, that inevitably takes some effort.

Attachments

#23 ·
Just paid $4.40 cents each for three inserts for my 540it at the dealer. Easy enough to install. Now I can see who I just left behind in my rear glass.

#24 ·
Just curious...did they sell you a different wiper refill for the rear wiper? My dealer sold me 61 61 0 154 440 for the rear...and 61 61 0 154 441 for the front.

#25 ·
The local dealership won't even answer their telephone

Will try to stop by the local dealership (they guys that defrauded my friends) because the dealership parts department doesn't even answer the phone (888-648-3446).

I've called them four times this morning ... and all I can do is leave a message.

So, not only did they defraud my friends, but this local dealership (Stevens Creek BMW) doesnt' even answer their phone.

Wow. They couldn't make this harder.

BTW, I measured the wipers on my 2002 525i E39 to be roughly 25" and 22" (not 26" and 22").

#26 ·
Will try to stop by the local dealership (they guys that defrauded my friends) because the dealership parts department doesn't even answer the phone (888-648-3446).

I've called them four times this morning ... and all I can do is leave a message.

So, not only did they defraud my friends, but this local dealership (Stevens Creek BMW) doesnt' even answer their phone.

Wow. They couldn't make this harder.

BTW, I measured the wipers on my 2002 525i E39 to be roughly 25" and 22" (not 26" and 22").
Isn't there any other dealer in your area "Bluebee"? Aren't you in the Bay Area?

Also, I just bought some wiper blade inserts from the dealership a couple weeks ago, I was out the door within five minutes and paid a tad over five dollars. The only I had to do was cut them down to size, which is really not a big deal.

#28 ·
Wiper inserts in California are from $23 to $50 out the door

what kind of parts department doesn't answer their phone?
PARTS GUY DOES NOT ANSWER PHONE:
Stevens Creek BMW 800-486-2171 http://www.scbmw.com

PARTS GUY ANSWERS PHONE:
BMW of Fremont 888-208-9746 http://www.bmwoffremont.com

The parts guy at BMW of Fremont was VERY helpful (in utter contrast to the known fraudsters at Stevens Creek BMW).

Here is what he told me about the BMW wiper blade inserts:
61-61-8-217-711 is $23 each + CA tax ~= $50 for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is $10.50 each + CA tax ~= $23 for the pair

These prices are reasonable but still, absolutely not even close in terms of percentages (hundreds of percent off) from the prices you guys have been quoting.

#32 · (Edited)
I guess there is a first time for everything.
Hi Danny,
I'm confused. Are you referring to the fact that the prices quoted here are vastly out of whack with those posted in this thread? Or are you referring to the fact the diagrams quote a part number that everyone here says not to buy? Or are you referring to the fact that the dealership, even after a half dozen phone calls, doesn't pick up the phone? Or the fact that we know more about wiper blades, here on Bimmerfest, than the parts guys at the two dealerships that did answer the phone?

I'm confused.

#31 ·
These prices are reasonable but still, absolutely not even close in terms of percentages (hundreds of percent off) from the prices you guys have been quoting.
I tried another BMW dealership, about 15 or 20 miles away.

PARTS GUY ALSO ANSWERS PHONE:
BMW of Mountain View 877-845-1713 http://www.bmwofmountainview.com

Likewise, this parts guy at BMW of Mountain View was also helpful. Neither of the parts guys knew anything about wipers, as they didn't even understand my basic questions, but, they both quoted the prices once I gave them the part numbers.

Here is what he told me about the BMW wiper blade inserts:
61-61-8-217-711 is $25 each + CA tax ~= $54 for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is $15 each + CA tax ~= $33 for the pair

Based on these three dealers only, I'd say the following:
- The parts guys know next to nothing about the wiper blade inserts
- The price is vastly more than people are saying it is
- The "441" is the way to go and, even at inflated prices, is what I'll do

#39 ·
Bluebee...it would be cheaper to purchase them from a BMW dealer like Tisher PLUS pay the shipping than buy them locally.

Perhaps if you went to the Tishcer site and inserted the 61 61 0 154 441 part nbr in their part search ($3.30 MSRP - $2.64 out the door)...then print out the results...then took that with you to your local BMW dealer's part dept and asked them if they match other BMW dealers prices...maybe you'd get better pricing.

As it stands...$33-$54 dollars for two little wiper inserts is price gouging at its finest!!! :yikes:

Here's a direct link to Tishcer BMWs parts search site....they sell $2.64 ea wiper blade refills: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214672

#40 ·
Too good to be true that you could buy wiper refills at the local BMW dealership

Tishcer BMWs parts search site....they sell $2.64 ea wiper blade refills:
Thanks QSilver7 for the kind advice that others can benefit from also.

I'm gonna go to Tishcer for the wiper refills and also get my windshield cover molding and driver-side door neoprene molding at the same time (given that many E39 owners seem to have this premature rubber-disintegration problem anyway).

Interestingly, I called the fraudsters at Stevens Creek BMW one last time today (800-486-2171), and, guess what. Nobody answered at the retail parts department. Yet again. Sigh.

In summary, it was too counter-intuitive to be true to just go to the local BMW dealership (we tried three of 'em) ... nor was it intuitive to go with the part number in the realoem online database ... but ... with bimmerfest help ... we in the San Francisco Bay Area now know to go with Tishcer or someone out of state (to eliminate the huge California sales tax).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.