BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335I Engine Malfunction

16K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Tony Clements 
#1 ·
One of the reasons I joined this forum is to see if anyone else has experiended a similar problem I'm having with my 335I Coupe. I'm currently living in Germany and purchased my American spec 335I Coupe in Nov and have approx 4100 miles on it. While crusing at approx 80 MPH in 6 gear my car started to run rough, acting as if a spark plug was misfiring or water was in the gas tank. Eventually an engine fault indication appeared on my display and the words power reduced service engine also appeared. I took it to my local dealer and was informed there was a recall and I needed new software. The software was loaded and the probelm remained. I took it to a different dealer and they hooked it up to their computer and found nothing wrong. I will take it for a thrid time because I'm still having the problem. When driving agressively and shifting throught the gears at high RPMs I don't experience the problem only at crusing speed and lower RPMs. Has anyone else had this problem?

#4 ·
My 335i Sedan was manufactured in December and delivered in early Februrary. I had the fuel pump replaced after 2000 miles when the car started taking extra long to crank over because the fuel in the line was flowing back while it sat. I also noticed that when I punched it at times the car studdered, as it were. It will take about a week to get the part, but your dealer will likely give you a loaner if you take it to the place you bought it.

Take it in stride. Not a big deal.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

#5 ·
I have a similar problem. My car bucks/hesitates at low RPMs, especially when the engine is cold. I took it to the dealer yesterday morning, and they are working with BMW North America on diagnosing the problem. They said my car already has the most current software, and they think it is actually a fuel pump problem. I'm waiting to hear back from my service advisor for an update on the diagnosis. I hope I don't have to be without my car for long. I've only had it since Feb. 3.

#26 ·
I have a similar problem. My car bucks/hesitates at low RPMs, especially when the engine is cold.
+1

I only have 600 miles on my car. I will wait a few months until fuel pumps are in stock. :thumbup:

#8 ·
I think the fuel pump issues were related to an early build period but cars built recently shouldn't have this problem. I think if you search you can find the specific date range that was affected.

#12 ·
It's not the main fuel pump, it's the secondary high pressure fuel pump. It runs at a very high pressure so it's sort of not a huge shock they are dying. Apparently it's limited to a certain production run though, so once these are all sorted we should stop hearing about them.

It's a pretty easy fix too.

#13 ·
It's not the main fuel pump, it's the secondary high pressure fuel pump. It runs at a very high pressure so it's sort of not a huge shock they are dying. Apparently it's limited to a certain production run though, so once these are all sorted we should stop hearing about them.

It's a pretty easy fix too.
More than 30 psi??

#14 ·
I had the same symptoms (09/06 build) and needed a new HP fuel pump. It took 11 days to get BMWNA to approve the repair and get the part from Germany. As of a few weeks ago, there was a national backorder...

#15 ·
I just heard from my Service Advisor. He said that BMW NA approved the replacement of the high pressure fuel pump in my car. He said the part is on backorder, as expected, and he said I can come pick up my car and hold onto it until the part comes in. That way I don't have to drive the smoke stinking loaner they gave me. By the way, my car was a 12/23/06 build. Attached is the service bulletin I found on the problem. You can see that they now think the problem exists on engines produced between 6/06 and 12/1/06. And that is the ENGINE build date, not the car build date.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
man you guys, this is no ok. fuel pump or not. at 3000 miles? Multiple failures? Give me a break. blind loyalty can only get in the way of improving a product. Look a ford and chevy. Their cars sucks and it had been ok because people still bought them. Now facing share loss they actually starting to make better cars.

So stop defending the cars defects and maybe BMW will start building more reliable cars. Wake up and realize that BMW didn't fully validate this vehicle and are using the first batch of owners to do the most basic of tests. Any sort of decent testing would have uncovered this.

Some of you guys are like the moms that defend their obnoxious kids without reason and point to other kids. It cracks me up every time I see a "Infiniti recalled 1000 times!" thread on the 3series board.

#19 ·
So stop defending the cars defects and maybe BMW will start building more reliable cars. Wake up and realize that BMW didn't fully validate this vehicle and are using the first batch of owners to do the most basic of tests. Any sort of decent testing would have uncovered this.
I have yet to see a single post "defending the cars defects..." Although these cars are thoroughly tested before launch, I know that this is not uncommon for a first year car. I bought my 335i knowing that I would be one of the first owners and that there might be some teething issues. It's the price that we pay for being on the bleeding edge and having the newest toy in the neighborhood!

#27 ·
man you guys, this is no ok. fuel pump or not. at 3000 miles? Multiple failures? Give me a break. blind loyalty can only get in the way of improving a product. Look a ford and chevy. Their cars sucks and it had been ok because people still bought them. Now facing share loss they actually starting to make better cars.

Some of you guys are like the moms that defend their obnoxious kids without reason and point to other kids. It cracks me up every time I see a "Infiniti recalled 1000 times!" thread on the 3series board.
Quite an ignorant position, frankly.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a BMW. Go get a Toyota instead.

When I have fun cars (Porsche and BMW), I expect them to have issues because they are complex machines - and their designers are pushing the envelope.

When I have boring cars (Toyota and Honda), then tend to be a bit (barely) more reliable. Boring engineering breeds reliability.

#17 ·
No one is defending them (at least I don't think?), we're just pointing out the facts behind this issue. It's a secondary high pressure pump, it effects engines built between June '06 and Dec '06, the repair itself is not difficult, nor is diagnosing it (it's a black or white yes or no code), but the part is on backorder so it can take some time. Yes, it sucks; same as the engine oil cooler being left out of auto's with ZSP sucks - but get some perspective, in terms of brand new model launches this one has been surprisingly uneventful.

#21 ·
Hey,

I don't want to jinx my 335i coupe, but I'm at 4000 miles and it's running great. I did have a nail in one of my runflats and had to replace it..........$350- ouch.

#22 ·
knock on wood my friend!

i support the teething theory here honestly...people should know that in technically advanced cars the first MY has issues...i mean look at toyota/lexus! the haulted the launch of several new MY cars last year because there were pre-release issues not caught in initial testing!

fact of the matter is this...direct injection is a new technology for production cars...audi brought it in MY 2005.5 with the 2.0T FSI...and that has initial fuel pump issues fixed for MY 2006+...if you want ot lead the pack in ownership you MUST accept the fact that these things happen. furthermore, FI is new for BMW after decades of hiatus...there will be a few bumps in the road, and at the end of the day that is what a waranty is for.

by MY 2008 all of these little issues will have been resolved and it wil be back to normal for the 335, and time to run into issues with the new m3!

#23 ·
i agree that it's not acceptable for having more than average reliability issues on cars costing a lot more than average. can't german car companies learn from janpanese companies? there really isn't any excuse. and making new car owner wait for parts to fix problems is poor customer care. i'm impressed that most toyotas are built in the usa and are able to maintain their quality.

#24 ·
It's not the origin of the car, the lesson is to never buy a new product in its first year. I can assure you that my E39 (last year of production) has been way more reliable in its first 50k miles than my old 1997 Toyota Camry (first year of that bodystyle's production, and my car was built in Japan not Kentucky)

#30 ·
You know, I am having similar problems with mine. :eeps:

#45 ·
I do agree that Honda, Toyota have better reliability than BMW ( I had an Acura RSX S that could be bounced off the rev-limiter all day as long as you added some oil :) ), but having a BMW under warranty is a very nice experience. Having one out of warranty, I am yet to experience: My 540 6speed has another month left.

#47 ·
Get a warranty for that 540i!

My dad's '02 E39 540i 6-speed (out of warranty) just cost him $1,800 last week!

#46 ·
Personally, I suppose I'll be ok with a few "reliability issues"....if the BMW has to go in the shop due to some malfunction, so be it. As long as it is covered under warranty and they give me a good loaner (comparable BMW to the car I bought).

And years later, I'd still get a BMW because it makes me splooge in the pants each time I drive it. Way better than most other cars that just are sooooo boring to look, drive and whatever else people do with their cars.

Just my 2.125 cents (tax added). :)

#48 ·
Personally, I suppose I'll be ok with a few "reliability issues"....if the BMW has to go in the shop due to some malfunction, so be it. As long as it is covered under warranty and they give me a good loaner (comparable BMW to the car I bought).

And years later, I'd still get a BMW because it makes me splooge in the pants each time I drive it. Way better than most other cars that just are sooooo boring to look, drive and whatever else people do with their cars.

Just my 2.125 cents (tax added). :)
What's the matter, the front wheel drive experience of a Toyota or Honda doesn't make you splooge in your pants? Just think about the great reliability you're getting while you experience torque steer every time you mash the accelerator.

#49 ·
I've had bimmers for the last ten years, some even off of warranty. The wife drives a lexus 470, one, if their most reliable vehicles per Lexus mechanics, and all vehicles have issues. New, old they will break down but I think we can all agree that every car manufacturer has improved their reliability in the last decade. My home computer crashes every once in while as well. I fix it and move on.:rolleyes:

#50 ·
335i 2008 Malfunction Engine lights on

I had my 335i 3 mos. now @ 1850 miles on it, and I'm having a problem of showing mafunction engine (yellow) and after that it shows SES. It losing power and shaking,
and if your turn off engine for few minutes, the power is back to normal when its driven and the SES it still showing and after few minutes of driving is back again losing power and it shakes. Any Idea????????? I will drop off my car on my monday to the dealer in SF or Mtn view. But I'm afraid can't make it in Mtn. View. Thanks for your any ideas. I've read a lot of re: issue. Maybe theres some more any ideas..

By the way, its really awesome to drive this car and I got mine 3 miles on it.

#52 · (Edited)
I had similar problem four times

My problem is similar but not while cruising. But at firing my engine. I have rather a large family of 5, so on weekends I use our family van for transport. All four "reduced power, service engine soon", I did not operate my car over entire weekend. Casually I would come on Monday morning press ignition button, and engine starts to get rough. And few minutes later "reduced power check......."

After three times I was fed up and took to an attorney, and filed for LEMON. Got all my payment since June 2008.

The fourth time "reduced power ck....." came after filling a claim through my attorney.

Maybe you should ask your local attorney if such law exists in Germany. If so you should pursue a legal action against BMW.

I tried to do on my own and go easy on BMW USA, Before getting an attorney. However I was turned down.

#56 ·
They have had the car for three days and they "think" it might be the HPFP. It sounds like they are going to replace it any way. They were waiting for a visit from the roaming bay area BMW engineer/service guru.

The funny thing was that the "service engine soon" light went out the moment my service rep got in the car to check it in for service. It had been on solid for two days and when he cranked it the light was off. Go figure. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.