BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

540 mods and SC build

45K views 316 replies 21 participants last post by  bricas45 
#1 ·
Have these sitting at my house almost ready to install and send DME in for programming! Only a few more parts to go!!! I will photo the install for you all and get dyno numbers.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sort of... I am building it based off Dinan kit. Utilizing Dinan brackets, Dinan tune (DME, and MAF remap with T9/T15 modules), parts Dinan rebadges, and other parts that are custom made to make space for SC.

#5 · (Edited)
Looking good :) I've just gone through the same procedure with mine. Based on the Dinan kit and a lot of custom made stuff to make it fit.

What are you going to do about CCV? I first installed CCV plumbing the way the kit intended - the stock aluminum pipe under the manifold connects the oil separator to the Dinan backplate and the hose from the backplate directly reenters the intake plumbing of the SC. The result - oil dripping everywhere from the intake parts, and intake flooded with oil. I just got it apart last night, cleaned everything. The oil even got into the MAF and air filter.

I read about it and apparently this is normal with boosted motors as the S/C increases the amount of blow-by gases and oil separator cannot efficiently separate the oil anymore so a lot of it goes by and reenters the intake. I've ordered an oil catch can to hopefully resolve the situation. I'm going to remove the stock aluminum pipe that goes to the back of the manifold, install a 180 degree fitting instead and connect to the IN port of the catch can and the OUT port connect back to the SC intake.

#6 ·
I was going to just hook it up as suggested in the instruction manual/diagrams. Thanks for the advice I may invest in the can tool.

what did you use for the compressor bypass control valve? It looks just like the pierburg part for the SAS pump but that one is electric and the one from Dinan is manual. Is there a vendor PN on this?

#10 ·
Hmm, maybe it has to do with my engine being pre-VANOS, but things are a lot simpler with my install. I just have a small vacuum tube running from the back of the manifold directly to the bypass valve. I'm pretty sure this control system wasn't in my installation instructions either and on top of that I had a Dinan technician double check the install and got a thumbs up from him.

Yes, something like that, except for us it doesn't have to go to the end plate anymore. Also, by connecting a 180 degree fitting to connection #3 on the diagram forces the gases into making a sharp turn and hopefully some of the oil will get caught right there before even entering the oil catch can.

At first I was actually going to replace the oil separator thinking that it's causing the excess of oil to escape the engine and already bought one, but then found the picture below and realized that there is really nothing in it to break and most likely it has to do with efficiency of the part, not its being able to work or not:

There is another catch can that I considered and liked a lot, PDF is attached. The problem for me is that it is too big and fits nowhere in my install. The space on the driver's side is pretty much all taken up by the expansion tank and relocated oil filter housing. That oil catch can by 42 Design Drafts is about all that I can fit in there. Next weekend I'm also going to start working on the oil distribution block to be able to hook up two oil pressure sensors, plus SC oil feed to the stock oil pressure sensor location.

Attachments

#11 ·
maybe it has to do with the SAS system as that is the vacuum lines it is tapping into, which yours wouldn't have. I am trying to figure out if I really need it. I am going to remove the SAS system in the install anyways since the valve is in the way for the brackets, and just plug the inlets to the exhaust manifold.

#20 · (Edited)
Well I am currently at 288hp 303ft-lbs to wheels naturally aspirated. I hope to make at least a gain of 100-120 hp/ft-lbs. That is pretty realistic. Someone with a similar set up put down 413hp to wheels not sure on his torque numbers. With the headers the increase should be a bit more than advertised kit.

#24 ·
Installed the high flow Walbro fuel pump the other day and wow I had no idea but I think my OEM was out the door. Car runs smoother pump is way quieter now! It was a very easy DIY.

Have a fab shop re-routing my coolant lines and AC lines to make room for the supercharger Wednesday.

#27 · (Edited)
Apparently there is a guy in Southern NH who works for BMW that does tunes. I just got a call from my local dyno shop and he would like to tune my car for this kit. I am thinking I will go for the custom tune I have heard great things about his work and my car having the headers may not fit the off the shelf tune from Dinan. In fact Dinan warns about not installing headers with their tune. Will keep you all posted of the progress on the build.

#28 ·
Custom AC line in and working great!! A bit more expensive than I wanted but it is ok. I had it done at Gill's in Manchester they did a fantastic job and with the recharge AC working better than ever!

#30 ·
yeah I will post after work was raining here when I picked it up otherwise I would have posted that last one with photos.

How's your car running? clear up that oil issue?

I am still waiting on brackets to come in so it will be some time before I get it on. Bit the bullet and bought brackets/T9/T15 from Dinan directly. Just working to make the room now, and will probably work to fit the intercooler soon. I think I am going air to water, but still not sure.

#35 ·
Last time I cleaned the intake from oil a couple days ago, I specifically checked the drain hose and it looked fine and I would say as straight down as possible. It could be adjusted a bit more (cut shorter), but only slightly, there is no part of the hose that's horizontal.

Come to think of it, since the oil feed is under pressure, there is no way (I think) the gravity drain can keep up with the speed of oil coming in so the oil is probably under pressure inside the SC as well, and if you have another possibility for the oil to escape, it will. Especially considering that the vacuum line is actually under vacuum.

#37 ·
the drain should be under pressure too (sucking from crank case) it wouldn't be a true gravity feed. this is my assumption as there is a suction from the dipstick tube on a stock configuration.

#43 · (Edited)
Nice, pretty much like the Dinan's I have installed.

Just had a call with the Dinan guru Dan, he pointed out that the check valve between the SC and PCV hose was reversed. The flow is supposed to be from PCV hose toward the SC, this way the line provides venting for the SC and the valve does not let the oil to go into the intake. I wasn't sure which way it needs to be installed and followed the pictures the previous owner took of his setup, which apparently wasn't correct. So this one hopefully is now sorted out! :thumbup:

#55 ·
Here's what it looks like. Also some pictures of what I did to it over the weekend.

Attachments

#57 ·
Wow I didn't realize their plate was aluminum like that! I was thinking it was just a modified OEM plate. What are all the new ports you made? For sensors? Also what is that electric sensor in the center? A MAP sensor? Also the catch can looks great. Do you still need it or just adding it now as belt and suspenders?

#59 ·
That is an intersting set up dinan has on that bracket and your additions look good. I may just drill out the oil seperator connection and put a tube in sort of like dinan has just to extent hose to back should be really easy. and seal off the CCV of course.

#60 ·
That will work too, you can just cut off that plastic pipe that extends from the stock plate. Another issue that you might have with the stock plate is securing the stock vacuum plumbing to the plate so it doesn't pop under boost :)

For my setup I made a 180 degree fitting for the oil separator outlet so that I won't have to go around the engine to the oil separator on the front. Instead the hose will come out at the front of the engine and hopefully the 180 fitting will trap some oil as well.

#62 ·
Cut and plugged the secondary air intake tube to remove the valve which is in the way of the charger. There are 2 pieces I plugged and put back into the exhaust took a photo of the one. Car actually runs better as there was apparently a leak at the valve I didn't know about! So to all out there check that your valves are tight. Mine must have shaken loose. No leaks now and runs great with more room.

Attachments

#65 · (Edited)
Removed valve...only on m62tu

All it does it pump clean air into exhaust on a cold start up for emissions. It was in the way and noisy so it is now gone!

Also that T-bar on the PCV I have is 5/8 on 2 ports and 3/8 on the other.

Attachments

#67 ·
will be modding my hose not the plate on mine. This should be easier. I will do this and attach pcv to my intake as a test before full install. I will plug the pipe with something like JB weld. And put a 'T' connector between the oil seperator and the end plate.

Attachments

#70 · (Edited)
This 'might' work. The problem you may run into is space, which is very tight under the manifold. Attached is what I ended up doing. Even the clamps for the U connector wouldn't fit, but the hoses sit VERY tight there so I thought it's OK to leave them out.

I think if I didn't have the plate, I would make one. It's just a piece of aluminum, a few holes and hose connectors, pretty straight forward. The only complication there is the welded PCV pipe, but I ended up not using it after all.

Attachments

#71 ·
You might want to add a little longer hose so that when the engine rocks on its mounts there will be sufficient slack in the hoses to accommodate the stretch.

I believe the engine rotates clockwise, when generating torque, as seen from the driver's position.

#72 ·
You might want to add a little longer hose so that when the engine rocks on its mounts there will be sufficient slack in the hoses to accommodate the stretch.

I believe the engine rotates clockwise, when generating torque, as seen from the driver's position.
There is actually some clearance between the hose and the timing cover, but it's a good point. I'll double check how it actually behaves when the engine is revved.

#68 ·
Doesn't Dinan and the other mfgs have this all figured out and and tested out already?

Afterall, there are hundreds of compressor systems out there functioning normally. Or do I have this wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.