BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wiper problem

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vavet5308 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, can any of you suggest why my wipers will not switch off unless I shut the ignition off?
I have a 98 520i auto with 133k on the clock and love everything about it except maybe the fuel consumption (Petrol) I get 35 on a good long run but only 26 at other times.

The only way I can stop them is to pull number 1 fuse but this is obviously a real pain.
I have scoured the forum but so far been unable to find a thread dealing with this particular fault.
Hope someone can help me.

Biggles

#3 ·
The wiring diagram is a little vague as to the actual operation. There is a relay in the electronics box on the right side of the engine compartment in the back (under the microfilter housing I think). I suppose that relay could be stuck. I'd start there.

My original thought was that it was a fail-safe type of thing with the general module turning on the wipers because it didn't see the input from the switch. That could certainly be the case. The description of the circuit doesn't confirm that's the scheme of operation though.

Here's the wiring diagram I'm using. I don't know all the specifics of your car, but I'm assuming it's a right hand drive.
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/e39old/index.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.