BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Decision time

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  texgeekboy 
#1 ·
I am that time when the costs to repair my BMW iL may outweigh the benefits of keeping it. The last thing I found out about, today, was that I need two new catalytic converters.
New about $3000.00 or so. The guy who always works on it says that this BMW isn't like other cars, where you could just remove the catalytic converters and go on with your life, even tho it may not be legal. On the other hand, I just had four new fuel/oxygen sensors put on in one shop, and now I need front and lower control arms, valve cover gaskets (2), ac belt, four lights and all brake pads, sensors and hoses, a door repair (inside) and of course, the catalytic converters. Anyone want to push me in the right direction? Sell it and get another used car....... nope, I can't afford a new one with the stock market pooping out the way it did.

Thanks,
peachesandolivia

#3 ·
Uhhhhhh.....NEW car. I have NEVER understood those who piece back old cars, that have no warranty. Kelly Blue book you car...what's it worth like $5,000 if you're lucky. Dump it and stop wasting money!!! If you can't afford a new BMW, or don't want a new one, get a new Honda or Golf or something. Just stop burning money!!!!!

#5 ·
If I need more than 1 big $$$ repair job a year, it's time to go with a new (or perhaps different car). If there is a year or more between big $$$ repairs, I divide the $$$ amount by 12 and see how that compares to a monthly car payment. If it's 1/2 the payment or less, I repair, if it's more, it's time to start car shopping.

I also go car shopping if I can't stand my current car any more :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.