BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

upgrading speakers on my 2000 528i and need help

7K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  abanjableu 
#1 ·
hi,
im about to upgrade all my speakers and need help since im a newbie. i looked around the forums but didnt find what i was looking for :dunno: ... how many speakers does my 2000 528i have in total? if i want to replace all of them how will i know wich ones will i need and fit perfectly? im looking to get rockford fostgate for all of my speakers does any one recommend them or any other best brands out there? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks :)

#2 · (Edited)
Take a look at MB Quart for the E39, unless rockford fosgate has a plug and play solution.

The standard audio system came equipped with 10 speakers. If you have DSP, you have 12.

#5 ·
The OE woofers are 5.25". The tweeter size for replacements vary by brand. Search Youtube for e39+speaker+installation and you will find various videos by BSW for speaker replacement DIY. I would also search this forum for some more background info. You don't specify type of music you prefer nor the volume level you typically use. Here's a quick synopsis:

1. Priority 1 - Replace your front door speakers with a high quality 2 way system. This will make an audible difference in sound clarity and definition.
2. Rainbow is probably the top end in terms of quality but they are also the costliest. Many good alternative options (Infinity, Boston Acoustics, etc.) exist for less than $125-$200/set.
3. Priority 2 - Installed a powered subwoofer before spending your money on rear door or rear deck speakers. Replacing these other speakers makes a minimal improvement in overall audible sound quality. The low end is the missing link in the e39 audio system and must be addressed.
4. Low end options include powered rear armrest subwoofers for less than $200 (do a search for the DIY). The sky (and the budget needed) is the limit for high end.
5. Unless you like REALLY LOUD music, the OE amp is adequate for casual listening.
6. The head unit is adequate unless it lacks specific features (nav, aux input, etc.) you are seeking. Keep in mind you may sacrifice some utility (access to OBC) if you replace the HU.
7. If you need an aux or iPod input, there are multiple options (Dice, Intravee, etc.) available. Do a search for more info.

Keep in mind audio quality and what is needed to attaiin it are highly subjective so you will get multiple opinions on this matter. My personal opinion is tempered by maximizing return on investment. Enjoy your ride.

#8 ·
I usually listen to rap music with lot of bass & freestyle from the 90's wich has less to no bass... do you guys still recommend the rainbow speakers or should i get. Jbl,kicker,rockford fostgate etc... any other recommendations

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Bimmer App

#9 ·
The car has four 5 1/4 woofers, four tweeters, and two "midbass" tweeter things that usually get disconnected because most component kits are woofers and tweeters only.

#11 ·
When replacing the woofer and tweeter with an aftermarket two way speaker system, you should leave the OE midrange speaker in place if you continue to use the OE amp. The OE audio system uses an active x-over and divides up the speaker output at the amp. No x-over is required so throw the aftermarket x-over away. If you disconnect the OE mid, you will lose the entire midrange.

#12 ·
Im planning on installing an non oem double din touch screen stereo and installing all speakers and gettin a new after market amp and a 10 " sub .... will it be any problems? Ill be using an adaptor to install new stereo that way i dont have to cut wires

#13 · (Edited)
hi,
im about to upgrade all my speakers and need help since im a newbie. i looked around the forums but didnt find what i was looking for :dunno: ... how many speakers does my 2000 528i have in total? if i want to replace all of them how will i know wich ones will i need cheap speakers and fit perfectly? im looking to get rockford fostgate for all of my speakers does any one recommend them or any other best brands out there? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks :)
What is you thought about sony brand speakers. I think they have finest sound quality

#14 · (Edited)
will these speakers will do for front and back? they are ROCKFORD FOSGATE P152 PUNCH 5.25" 2-way Coaxial Speakers

Configuration: 2-Way Full-Range
Midrange Diameter (in): 5.25"
Midrange Depth (in): 1.81"
(46mm)
Tweeter Diameter (in): 0.75"
(19.0mm)
Tweeter Depth (in):
Frequency Response: 70Hz - 22kHz
Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohm
Power Handling (RMS): 40 Watts RMS
80 Watts MAX
Crossover: n/a - tweeter has built-in crossover
Sensitivity
(dB @ 1 watt/1 meter): 87dB

or the Rockford FOstgate PRIME:

5-1/4" 2-way Prime Series Component System
Power Handling:
Peak: 160 watts per set / 80 watts each side
RMS: 80 watts per set / 40 watts each side
Mylar balanced dome tweeter with an in-line crossover delivers crisp high frequency response
Easy installation of flush, surface, or angle mounting
Mica injected polypropylene cone for extended frequency response and accommodates direct OEM installation
Foam surround allowing fluid movements for accurate sound reproduction
Perfect for original factory replacement
Stamped steel basket
Frequency response: 58 - 20,000 Hz
Crossover Frequency: 12,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB
Impedance: 4 Ohm

Attachments

#18 ·
Is this true? I been hearing this from my neighboor... its better sticking the whole car system with one brand (car stereo+speakers = one brand) only because its sounds better. Any one agrees?

#20 ·
Hi David,

You don't have to stick with one manufacturer brand at all if you don't want to. For instance I have an Alpine head unit, Arc Audio Amplifiers and DLS cabin speakers and a JL Audio subwoofer. Some of the 'best' manufacturers of each part of the audio setup, might only make that product - HAT for example only make speakers, DLS and Hertz for instance make excellent speakers and also Amplifiers.

I see you've started multiple threads, I'd suggest perhaps reading up some more on specific car audio forums to learn more as well as across the various BMW forums too. Speak to local reputable car audio installers/dealers as well, and then you can make more of an informed choice of whichever direction it is you wish to go.

If you were anywhere near West London, UK, you'd be more than welcome to have a listen to my setup!

Cheers, Dennis!

#21 ·
You could look into the BSW system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.