BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help me identify this part on my 87' 535i...

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  thexpbogger 
#1 ·
My 87' 535i is missing this part on the rear bumper.

I did a search on realoem.com and it looks to be part number 51121868523, and it looks to be one big piece.

But from another website, it's called the "rear bumper impact strips", and it looks to be 3 pieces. http://data.bmrparts.com/bmwparts/B..._BUMPER_REAR_Impact_Strip_47_51121868523.html

Can any e28 experts help me with this? Is it actually one big piece, or 3 separate pieces?

And where is a good place to find this?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The three "bumper shocks" that connect the bumper to the frame/body each have 2 bolts that connect each shock assembly. I think these bolt heads are either 13mm or 14mm. Unbolt all 6 of those and you can then remove the bumper assembly. After that, you can work on removing the rubber strip by unbolted the fasterners that hold the rubber strip to the bumper. They're likely very rusty and deteriorated. I've actually done it with the bumper on the car, but it's much easier to remove the bumper first. Look at the attached diagram for a better idea on how it's put together.

Attachments

#6 ·
It looks like your bumper impact strip is ok but slid to the left. If you look at your picture what used to be the corner (the area with the radius) is now farther inside. Try pulling it to the right but you might be missing the last clip unless is still in the rubber strip itself.

#9 ·
That's cool dude........................ As I assumed with the US requirements.......................It'sfunny though, because even though I have had the car for almost 4 months now, After I posted on this thread , I actually went out and sussed the car and realized that my car has exactly the same rubber trim running the entire length of the bumpers, BUT are one piece.................I took some pics of the **** BOX I am driving and will try to put them up somehow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway keep cruising DUDES!!!

Stephen

#10 ·
Stephen: You car has the regular bumpers that were used in Europe. They are good for 3MPH standards at the time but apparently the US raised it to 5 MPH and they required the use of shock absorbers in the bumper mounts. Yours bolt directly to the body so in case of a small "bump" the sheet metal suffers. A lot of hardcore fans in the US get the parts and swap them to the Euro bumpers as they look sooo much better!

#11 ·
Gee Wizz

Thanks Jim.................. I appreciate the comment and still quite amazed that I still have not seen any 87 535i model cruising the streets here............. SURELY THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM DRIVING A RARITY............. (NO!!!!...... I am not calling you SHIRLEY)!!!!!! (sic)

Opening bids are at 25K.............. (joking)

Thanks

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.