BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
17K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Lorenzzo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Car and Driver 2013 10Best BMW F30 3 series

BMW on winning Car and Drive 10Best for the 22nd time in a row
The sixth-generation BMW 3 Series has been named to the Car and Driver 10Best Cars list for 2013, marking the 22nd consecutive 10Best win for the BMW 3 Series. It is the only car to achieve such an unbroken string of wins.

***8220;To receive this honor for 22 years straight shows how consistently the BMW 3 Series has delivered on the promise of The Ultimate Driving Machine®,***8221; said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO of BMW of North America, LLC. ***8220;The 3 Series has been named to Car and Driver 10Best Cars through three complete generations and has now continued its streak into a fourth generation. We are committed to producing cars worthy of this sort of recognition.***8221;

The BMW 3 Series, originally introduced to the United States market in 1977, is now in its sixth generation. For the 2013 model year, the 3 Series name covers a wide array of models all sharing the common theme of traditional BMW values: compact dimensions, near-perfect 50/50 weight distribution, excellent outward visibility, precise ergonomics, smooth yet responsive engines, and a direct connection to the road.

Available as a Coupe, Convertible, and Sport Wagon, as well as two- and all-wheel drive variants, the 3 Series can be configured for a range of active lifestyles. At the top of the 3 Series are the fire-breathing M3 Coupe and Convertible. The M3 is powered by a 4.0-liter, 414 horsepower V8 engine and represents decades of race-bred development by BMW M GmbH.

In 2012, the sixth generation of BMW 3 Series Sedan arrived with the launch of the all-new BMW 328i and 335i Sedans. The 328i features BMW***8217;s new TwinPower Turbo 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine. Both Sedans feature an 8-speed automatic transmission and Auto Start/Stop technology designed to increase fuel efficiency.

As a pure expression of The Ultimate Driving Machine, most current 3 Series models are available with a six-speed manual gearbox. Also standard is BMW Ultimate Service, including no-cost maintenance for four years or 50,000 miles.

Car and Driver on the BMW 3 Series: The same old song and dance, differently.
Regular readers of this publication may have felt inklings or heard the notion that we have a certain fondness for the 3-series, as we've lofted it to this list now for 22 years in a row. This being a transition year for the model, the F30 sedan stands alone as the winner, without support from the rest of the lineup. Recent comparison and road tests suggest that we haven't gone ga-ga for the F30 as we did its predecessors, but it nevertheless delivers one of the best overall packages on the market. Two turbocharged engines offer improved fuel economy while the inline-six in the 335i maintains nearly undetectable NVH levels. The body and interior may have grown slightly, but that imposes little or no weight penalty. Front seats are comfortable and supportive, and the back seat is adult friendly. There's virtually no performance gap between the six-speed manual and the eight-speed automatic. With five equipment lines to choose from (base, Modern, Luxury, Sport, and M Sport), the 3's appeal has expanded to reach a larger audience without breaking its grip on the sports-sedan segment. Many would-be challengers have benchmarked this winning formula, and some even match or beat it in one way or another, but they all fall short of the gestalt. The F30 is just getting started, too***8212;a hotly anticipated M3 version slides into view next year.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2013-10best-cars-feature-2013-bmw-3-series-sedan-page-3

So, car and driver just released their 10 best cars(they do it every year for like the last 25 years)

I don't see a cadillac ATS
I don't see a Audi A4/S4
I don't see a Mercedes C class

But I did see the F30
:p

List:
A6/s6/A7/S7
F30
Focus
Mustang
Accord
Fit
Mx-5 Miata
Boxster
Brz
VW golf/gti

See less See more
#3 ·
It was on the list of nominees.
Acura ILX ***8226; Audi Allroad ***8226; Audi A6/A7 ***8226; Audi A6 2.0T* ***8226; Audi A8 TDI* ***8226; Audi A8 3.0T ***8226; Audi RS5 ***8226; Audi S5 ***8226; Audi S6/S7 ***8226; BMW ActiveHybrid 3* ***8226; BMW ActiveHybrid 5 ***8226; BMW X1 ***8226; BMW 135is* ***8226; BMW 3-series ***8226; BMW 528i ***8226; BMW 640i coupe/Gran Coupe ***8226; Buick Verano 2.0T ***8226; Cadillac ATS ***8226; Cadillac CTS-V ***8226; Cadillac XTS ***8226; Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 ***8226; Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible ***8226; Chevrolet Impala* ***8226; Chevrolet Malibu ***8226; Chevrolet Spark ***8226; Dodge Dart ***8226; Fiat 500 Turbo/Abarth ***8226; Ford C-Max hybrid ***8226; Ford C-Max Energi* ***8226; Ford Focus/ST/Electric ***8226; Ford Fusion ***8226; Ford Mustang GT/Boss 302 ***8226; Ford Shelby GT500 ***8226; Ford Taurus EcoBoost 2.0 ***8226; Honda Accord ***8226; Honda Fit/EV ***8226; Hyundai Azera ***8226; Hyundai Elantra coupe/GT ***8226; Hyundai Genesis coupe ***8226; Hyundai Veloster Turbo ***8226; Jaguar XF*/XF 3.0* ***8226; Jaguar XJ 3.0 ***8226; Lexus ES ***8226; Lexus GS ***8226; Lexus LS* ***8226; Mazda MX-5 Miata ***8226; Mercedes-Benz C350 ***8226; Mercedes-Benz E350 BlueTec/E400 hybrid*/E550 coupe ***8226; Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG ***8226; Mini Cooper Roadster ***8226; Mitsubishi i-MiEV* ***8226; Nissan Altima ***8226; Nissan Sentra ***8226; Porsche Boxster ***8226; Scion FR-S ***8226; Scion iQ ***8226; Subaru BRZ ***8226; Subaru XV Crosstrek ***8226; Tesla Model S* ***8226; Toyota Avalon* ***8226; Toyota Prius C/V ***8226; Toyota Yaris ***8226; Volkswagen Beetle convertible* ***8226; Volkswagen Golf/ GTI/Golf R ***8226; Volvo S60 T5 AWD*

#5 ·
How can the Tesla Model S be car of the year? don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's a nice car, looks great in pics, but it's so scarcely available and even those that are available, only a select few can get them. Also, it's hard for most vehicles in that 30-50K range to compete with a 100K car. (I know there's a smaller battery that costs sig. less, i'm talking about the one most can/should get)

F30 is in the near-lux category, I don't get that either, i consider BMWs lux by their nature. A 3-series may have once been the entry level BMW sedan/coupe, but given it's evolution, and an average optioned price tag of 46-56K for an F30, I don't think you can call this an "entry" level car anymore. That designation should be passed down to the 1-series.

#6 ·
How can the Tesla Model S be car of the year? don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's a nice car, looks great in pics, but it's so scarcely available and even those that are available, only a select few can get them. Also, it's hard for most vehicles in that 30-50K range to compete with a 100K car. (I know there's a smaller battery that costs sig. less, i'm talking about the one most can/should get)

F30 is in the near-lux category, I don't get that either, i consider BMWs lux by their nature. A 3-series may have once been the entry level BMW sedan/coupe, but given it's evolution, and an average optioned price tag of 46-56K for an F30, I don't think you can call this an "entry" level car anymore. That designation should be passed down to the 1-series.
My dealership sells more "stripper" 3-Series models than any other kind. These can be leased for little more than what an Altima or Sonata would cost you per month.

#9 ·
So, car and driver just released their 10 best cars(they do it every year for like the last 25 years)

I don't see a cadillac ATS
I don't see a Audi A4/S4
I don't see a Mercedes C class

But I did see the F30
What? Liar. I thought you were my friend.

There's no way that the ATS didn't make the list. I saw a blogger do a video review once that said that the Cadillac had a better engine note and was less rubbery. There's no way it didn't beat out the lame F30 with a non-touch screen LCD or even eke out a spot on the lowly Top 10 list. A Fit? A Mustang? You are a trolling clown.

Don't ever talk to me again. Don't even look at me. Lying bastard.

BJ

#12 · (Edited)
The BMW 3 Series has been a perennial winner of a C&D 10 Best Award. Keep in mind that this is not a list of the 10 best cars but is a list of the best cars (in the opinion of Car and Driver) in 10 different categories. The Honda Accord has also been a perennial winner in its category.

The fact that a particular car is on the list does not mean it is one of the 10 best cars overall but it does mean that it is the best car of the cars in the category that it was judged in. The fact that Accord won and the Mercedes C Class did not does not imply that the Accord is a better car than the Mercedes since they were not judged against each other. I am not sure of the entire list that the F30 was judged against is but it certainly included the Cadillac ATS. In order to be nominated a car model would have to have undergone significant change for the current model year or have been a winner the previous year. The 3 Series would have qualified because it won last year and because it was significantly revised. The Cadillac ATS qualified because it was a new model. The Audi A4 and the Mercedes C were not nominated.

Interesting how much credibility a bunch of ignorant, bribe taking journalists gained now that they have decided they like BMW better than its rivals. :rofl:

In any case I am not surprised at the results. The category was BMWs to lose and the 3 has been the benchmark for quite a while.

CA

#17 ·
The BMW 3 Series has been a perennial winner of a C&D 10 Best Award. Keep in mind that this is not a list of the 10 best cars but is a list of the best cars (in the opinion of Car and Driver) in 10 different categories. The Honda Accord has also been a perennial winner in its category.

The fact that a particular car is on the list does not mean it is one of the 10 best cars overall but it does mean that it is the best car of the cars in the category that it was judged in. The fact that Accord won and the Mercedes C Class did not does not imply that the Accord is a better car than the Mercedes since they were not judged against each other. I am not sure of the entire list that the F30 was judged against is but it certainly included the Cadillac ATS, the Mercedes C, the Audi A4, the Lexus IS (and maybe the ES) and the Infinit G (which is some rather stiff competition).

Interesting how much credibility a bunch of ignorant, bribe taking journalists gained now that they have decided they like BMW better than its rivals. :rofl:

In any case I am not surprised at the results. The category was BMWs to lose and the 3 has been the benchmark for quite a while.

CA
Unless something has changed, what you said above is definitely not true. C&D's 10 best is just that, their 10 best. It is not the best in each of 10 categories.

#19 ·
I too just browsed thru the Jan issues of C&D. Of their 10Best this year, I personally wouldn't mind three of them (the 3er, Focus, and Golf)

#20 ·
I think all the editors vote on the Top 10, while a comparison test might be just a few editors, which could explain why the 3 might lose a comparison but still win Top 10.

The ATS clearly pleases some enthusiasts with it's steering and suspension, but overall the F30 is a better car.

#21 ·
I think I could live with -- the Boxster, the Fit or the GTi.

#22 · (Edited)
I am not taking sides, but it's funny how those who have said magazine editors don't know what the f*** they were talking about when the scale was tilted against the BMW (or even more insulting stuff like paid advertisements for whatever brand happened to beat BMW) are now all agreeing and respecting the same people's opinion on 10 best cars. You can't have it both ways.

#24 ·
I am not taking sides, but it's funny how those who have said magazine editors don't know what the f*** they were talking about when the scale was tilting against the BMW (or even more insulting stuff like paid advertisements for whatever brand happened to beat BMW) are now all agreeing and respecting the same people's opinion on 10 best cars. You can't have it both ways.
Unequivocal Truth. But in fairness, you can't expect fanboys to be completely unbiased. I know I'm not, I took a long deep swig of that sweet bimmer kool-aid and it quenched my insatiable palate. To be honest, I also think Audi, Porsche are great as well, and I still love Subaru, so I'm a total **** for a fun car to drive.

Cadillac can go eat s*** and die though.

#27 ·
I would suspect (since I can't prove it) that there is some level of bias to this or any other report (fanboy, pressure, bribe?, etc) but as a BMW owner, we can compare what have by driving (test, borrow, previously owned) other cars in the segment.
If you can honestly collaborate or dispute what was written about your car, that's what counts.

#28 ·
#36 ·
#38 ·
This is just going to create more and more work for jealous whiners. I'm thankful the F30 made the list because unless it's confirmed as the best by magazine editors I can't enjoy it.

The other thing is I really felt like it was a luxury car, but now finding out it isn't, I'll enjoy it less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.