BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  PPXYZ 
#1 ·
At the end of the four-year warranty/maintenance. I am less than one week off getting the annual low mileage oil change...yes, a simple oil change. Costs $99 at the dealership and they refuse to provide it because I am off by LESS THAN 1 WEEK.

They have done very little maintenance on the car since the mileage is so low. This has been a profitable venture for them. They suggest I get it done once a year. They suggest I can make ANOTHER appointment to get it done by them for $99. Yeah, right.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a CHEAP car company. Less than 1 week out and no consideration.

What a LOUSY experience this has been.

Think BMW will take care of you by spending, what, $25? $30? to keep you as an out of warranty customer? Bwahahahaha!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow, talk about feeling like an utter chump for buying this ridiculous car. If something blows up 1 day out of warranty I imagine they will just :p:p:p:p:p:p out at me for being so stupid as to purchase this ridiculous vehicle.

Plenty of other people with nice cars get all kinds of consideration from their dealers/manufacturers well outside of warranty. BMW :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

See less See more
#4 ·
Considering the oil and filter alone are nearly $70, you are essentially paying someone $30 to change your oil. If your time is worth less than that, learn how to change it yourself or just pay it. BMW isn't in the business to give away free stuff. I think you should try and negotiate the service--typically the dealers have some sway in what gets done and if it gets done early; I've experienced it. But an oil change is no biggie. Try getting a new seat sensor, heated steering wheel, HVAC blower, brakes, etc.

#5 ·
It is not the money. I am not complaining that an oil change at the expensive dealership, someone has to pay for that free coffee, costs $99.

I am saying that this supposed luxury car company that touts free maintenance for 4 years is refusing to provide a simple oil change. Their attitude is, 'read the fine print bub' even though we cannot find the fine print on our web site under the 'maintenance' tab.

Yes, I called up BMW of NA and together we searched, unsuccessfully, for the letter of the fine print on the 4-year maintenance agreement. They insisted it was on the web site but I just could not find it. They could not find it either.

BMW of NA's final idea was to dig up the original paperwork and read the fine, fine, fine print on that.

All this to royally **** a customer who bought a brand new car from them instead of simply citing good will and giving me the final oil change.

To top things off I did not know they were refusing the oil change until I schlepped the car there. They made ZERO mention of this when I made the appointment to do just this.

I will happily pay an independent shop $99 to change the oil once a year. I am thinking of a Lexus or, who knows, maybe a Caddy. Heck, this has been such a pain in the neck that a Ford is looking pretty good about now.

#8 ·
It is not the money. I am not complaining that an oil change at the expensive dealership, someone has to pay for that free coffee, costs $99.

I am saying that this supposed luxury car company that touts free maintenance for 4 years is refusing to provide a simple oil change. Their attitude is, 'read the fine print bub' even though we cannot find the fine print on our web site under the 'maintenance' tab.

Yes, I called up BMW of NA and together we searched, unsuccessfully, for the letter of the fine print on the 4-year maintenance agreement. They insisted it was on the web site but I just could not find it. They could not find it either.

BMW of NA's final idea was to dig up the original paperwork and read the fine, fine, fine print on that.

All this to royally **** a customer who bought a brand new car from them instead of simply citing good will and giving me the final oil change.

To top things off I did not know they were refusing the oil change until I schlepped the car there. They made ZERO mention of this when I made the appointment to do just this.

I will happily pay an independent shop $99 to change the oil once a year. I am thinking of a Lexus or, who knows, maybe a Caddy. Heck, this has been such a pain in the neck that a Ford is looking pretty good about now.
Morons. I mean, aren't you their bread and butter? Someone who is buying new cars and using the main dealer for servicing. I cannot imagine this is good for business. If the owner of the franchise genuinely wants to dick you over a hundred rashers then as above, find another dealer who doesn't want to go out of business.

#6 ·
My dealer always took care of me. Heck they had no issues changing brake pad, spark plugs, tranny fluid at 99,100 miles when my ext maint ran out at 100k even though the fine print on those was 100k miles.

Find a new dealer. They are not all like that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#9 ·
ppxyz, maybe the dealer just doesn't like you and your attitude. or, maybe the dealer is in business to make money and believes that giving away oil changes to someone who owns a car that is outside of the 4 year 50k mile offer is really bad business. you should definitely try Lexus or Cadillac - both companies are famous :) for giving their services away for free. just buy one of their cars, learn the secret handshake and you'll be good to go for as long as you own one of their cars!

#10 ·
I don't know where you are on the "west coast" but there are a plethora of dealers in the Bay Area and SoCal -- find another dealer. I had absolutely no trouble getting pre-indicator service for "a trip" with 500 miles to go with Stevens Creek BMW and others have had similar experiences. The annual change should not be that big a deal IMHO. The dealers around here offer $69 oil service "coupons" on a regular basis too, and yes that is for synthetic oil. Find another dealer.:angel:

#11 · (Edited)
Not free silly noego, customer service silly.

If you are a BMW dealer and do not like customers then get out of the retail business. Retail business means dealing with customers. I know customers are anathema to some businesses but, heck, no one else is willing to pay your bills.

I had no 'tude dude. I go in once a year for an annual oil change. I make an appointment online. No one tells me that I cannot have the oil change until I get there. That is the extent of the situation. I did save them money on the loaner which I refused. I do not trust them and I would not take a car from them. I am a cheap date noego.

I figure the oil change costs them $50 or less. For that measly $50 they get what? A customer who will never buy another car from them AND tell everyone they know for decades forward what lousy service they received? Wow, them thar's great ROI. Alert the media to that customer zero retention business idea.

Since I have low miles I cost them very little in the warranty/maintenance department. They just kicked me in the shins and, noego, I am supposed to enjoy that? Masochistic much dude?

#14 ·
BMW Fannuts cannot read

It must be Obama's fault!

Oh, wait, the stock market is hitting new highs the housing market is recovering and the economy is actually making jobs. Oh, yes, it IS Obama's fault.

For the third time the $99 (not $100 smackeroonies Fannuts) was not the issue. For the fourth time the $99 was not the issue. For the fifth time....repeat for the illiterate Fannuts. I am happy to pay $99 to an independent mechanic for an annual oil job. No coupons, loaners, knicker bunching, synthetic coffee product, faux leather seating, crumpled old newspapers or free WiFi required.

Are you saying that rightwing whackjobs = BMW apologists? Really? Say it ain't so Bub! :bawling:

Fannuts apologists with very low standards of corporate behavior are why corporations feel free to deliver as little as they can get away with. That must be Obama's fault as well.

#16 ·
It must be Obama's fault!

Oh, wait, the stock market is hitting new highs the housing market is recovering and the economy is actually making jobs. Oh, yes, it IS Obama's fault.

For the third time the $99 (not $100 smackeroonies Fannuts) was not the issue. For the fourth time the $99 was not the issue. For the fifth time....repeat for the illiterate Fannuts. I am happy to pay $99 to an independent mechanic for an annual oil job. No coupons, loaners, knicker bunching, synthetic coffee product, faux leather seating, crumpled old newspapers or free WiFi required.

Are you saying that rightwing whackjobs = BMW apologists? Really? Say it ain't so Bub! :bawling:

Fannuts apologists with very low standards of corporate behavior are why corporations feel free to deliver as little as they can get away with. That must be Obama's fault as well.
Slow your roll, buddy. I was making fun of people who blame EVERYTHING on Obama. Im sure you're a political genius that know everything there is to know about politics but this an automotive forum. Please stop and learn to take a joke.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#18 ·
According to one dealer, BMW will only pay for a low mileage oil change after 366 days. If so, after 4 years, you will only get two oil changes, two wiper inserts, and two brake fluid changes.

#21 ·
Well, that's interesting. I was told they will do an annual oil change and, if I had just taken my car in last year a week earlier none of this would be happening. If they had provided a simple schedule when I bought the car or brought it in the first year for the low-mileage oil change none of this would have happened.

It is also very 'dig it up yourself we are not going to tell you' cloak and dagger over $99 oil changes on a $40K+ car.

After all BMW recommends annual low mileage oil changes at least in part to lower their cost of warranty repairs. So that means their FREE maintenance is bunkum. They expect people will get stuck paying for maintenance even while covered by the FREE maintenance plan.

That is exactly what is happening to me. I am still covered under the new car warranty but was refused FREE maintenance. Heck, they didn't even offer a discount but they did offer a free loaner which I neither needed or wanted and didn't take. I wonder what they think a free loaner for the day costs.

They are losing out-of-warranty business for their dealers, my car will go to an independent mechanic for the duration. BMW may sell parts to me but how does that help their dealers.

#19 ·
i love dealers.... i normally never ever ever have to go to them... sometimes for things like crank barrings of main barrings..

Last time i was in a deal.. i was talking loops around this guy... trying to sell me everything under the son.... I just keep on it with him...

That guy probably went home and cried..
Dont try to give me the Bs bud... it aint gonna work...

couple of things..
I can do both my 39 and my 36 for about 100$ two filters plus moble 1 oil
why do you go to the dealer?

#20 ·
couple of things..
I can do both my 39 and my 36 for about 100$ two filters plus moble 1 oil
why do you go to the dealer?
Some people have limited to no experience in doing routine maintenance. Other people know how but lack ramps. I know of one car company where many of the models can have an oil change at home without using ramps. This is a good design.

I don't like to work under ramps. Fortunately, there is a repair garage that rents space by the hour and also has a $10 do-it-yourself oil change special. They have a professional lift. How sweet.

#27 ·
Actually my warranty is still in effect.

They just refused to do the oil change although they did not bother to tell me that until I showed up there. They simply will not do it for a few weeks. By then my car WILL be out of warranty.

Yes, that is how BMW (whacks its customer upside the head and then) rolls.

I will get it done at an independent mechanic. My plan is also to have them do all of my future work as I will not be buying a BMW extended warranty.

#29 ·
Ask the dealer what his "BMWCCA" membership discount rates are. If you do plan to keep your BMW, get the membership. Then you'll get a bit of satisfaction each time you go there for service or parts. The dealership near my job, 20% off parts, 10% off labor. The dealership near my home, 15% off parts, 10% off labor. I guess you could say a BMWCCA card is BMW's secret handshake.... :)

#30 ·
That's interesting. Is that 20% off retail-priced parts?

I am considering that $400 hitch that comes, from the dealer, with an estimated $1000 labor install. I will ask the independent what it would cost to install. I imagine they get a hefty wholesale discount (40-50%?)on the part anyway so it would actually be cheaper through them.

My car is <20,000 miles. I will keep it for awhile provided things do not start failing right and left. According to Edmunds FWIW (maybe nothing) the older model X3 is a pretty reliable car except for a few years of big trouble...probably the AT fiasco.

I have friends with cars from the other German mfrs. They receive really good service both in and out of warranty from the company and dealers....exemplary so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.