BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Best bike carrier for 2007 x3

16K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  metalicgreen318 
#1 ·
I have been trying to decide for sometime what the best bike carrier would be for me. I cannot decide if the roof one would be good. The bike is a trek and is pretty heavy to lift over my head. I see there is a bike holder that is placed in the back compartment inside the car, but afraid will scratch the inside. I do not have a hitch on the back of my car. This would be the most expensive option and not sure if it is advisable to put an aftermarket hitch on a X3. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

#39 ·
Broken screw, what do I do now?

Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...nstall-bmw-factory-trailer-hitch-2006-x3.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE]

I'm working on this project right now, and two screws snapped off. I'm using these AWESOME instructions...thanks for posting them. So, in instructions #1 , #11 there are metal screws with a plastic nut on the end of these threaded screws and when undoing them the metal snapped off with the plastic bolt. They look rusted on the inside. I'm ready to reattach the bumper now, end not sure what to do to securely refasten these two areas. Suggestions?

#40 · (Edited)
Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...nstall-bmw-factory-trailer-hitch-2006-x3.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm working on this project right now, and two screws snapped off. I'm using these AWESOME instructions...thanks for posting them. So, in instructions #1 , #11 there are metal screws with a plastic nut on the end of these threaded screws and when undoing them the metal snapped off with the plastic bolt. They look rusted on the inside. I'm ready to reattach the bumper now, end not sure what to do to securely refasten these two areas. Suggestions?
now that I think about it i'm sure I left those off as they sized and snapped the stud as well. :eek:

#42 · (Edited)
I got my hitch from GetBMWparts this afternoon and it is installed already. The Xoutpost.com instructions were great, and my '04 is a little easier to do because there is no bumper cutting and a little box knife trimming on the liner. I ordered an INNO bike rack from http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A4840A0A0.aspx , the three bike model because it only fits a 2" hitch so it fits with no rattles. only $167. Part Number - INH303

#44 ·
I am a sailor and in my world folding bikes are for serious cruisers who need to get around in new ports. We don't have the cycling tradition for the purpose of transportation that you do in the UK. Our bikes are as much vanity statements as anything else. I buy my bikes at Walmart so my sense of vanity is pretty low.

#46 ·
Actually in the US. The bike is made in the UK hence the link.

There is a Dahon folding version for sailors (used to sail once in awhile, have not in a long time) that has a better paint job for wet conditions. The folders are small enough to keep in the car all the time just in case a biking opportunity presents itself. Hope to get more exercise in that way but only time will tell if this strategy works!

Two of these folders will fit into the back of a standard Prius. Now that's small.

#45 · (Edited)
FWIW you can see my Econoline 150 in the background of my photos. the bottom of the hitch opening on my X3 is 13 1/2" off the ground, the van is only 11", who'd a thunk it? On the van my 29er hits the ground when the rack is fully tipped, not on the X3! That is not my 29er in the photos, it is an old Schwinn 26 Mesa Runner.

#48 ·
for the hitch, i was quoted 1200.00 at local bmw dealer, 940.00 from local independent. called three different Uhaul places and got three different prices ranging from 594.00-705.00. those were obviously not the BMW kit. i bought the BMW kit with harness from getbmwparts as some others for 320.00 but they charge a 75.00 flat rate shipping now. still about 250.00 less than what local dealer was selling for. did the install myself and saved about 550.00 total. took 4 hrs takingmy time using the awesome directions on the xoutpost link above. had the hitch on and wiring installed in about 1.5hrs. took a lot of time trimming and fitting the bumper with the wrong tools. if i would have followed the cut-out pattern on the link instead of doing a little at a time i could have easily shaved off an hour or more.
for the bike carrier I ordered a 1UP USA carrier that is highly recommended on MTBR.com. Its aluminum, made in USA and light. I'll post up some pics when I get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.