BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 rollover and reliability

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Dark Schnitzer 
#1 ·
Hello,

Can somebody comment on reliability of Z4 comparing to 3 series?

Also what kind of protection does z4 have in case of rollover? :( Are yo screwed if it rolls over?

Thanks,
TheGuest

#3 ·
Even though modern convertibles have roll bars, you certainly don't want a limb or head to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Roll bars in convertibles are sort of an empty promise imo. And even the most basic of crash tests nowadays don't allow for a rollover? Seems hard to believe, but I'm no expert.

And Z4 Coupes are a tough nut to crack, as evidence here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248766&highlight=totaled

#7 ·
If you roll a coupe you are screwed no matter what car you have 3 series or Z4 coupe. Neither roof is really that strong.
[citation needed]

I have seen an awful lot of rolled cars and an awful lot of people that walk away from them.

As for what it takes to roll a car, simple. Hit a curb when you're going sideways, or go off the road when you're going sideways. Wheels dig in, you go over.

#9 ·
why are you going sideways on public roads?

accidents happen because of the driver. not the car.

first dont go too fast thats beyond your control, aka dont be an idiot.

second - pay attention to the road and your surroundings.
dont be sexting/texting/mobile phoning and looking at the girl on the sidewalk with the huge t!ts..

if everyone followed these two simple rules, there'd be no cars flipping over and accidents happening

#14 ·
why are you going sideways on public roads?

accidents happen because of the driver. not the car.

first dont go too fast thats beyond your control, aka dont be an idiot.

second - pay attention to the road and your surroundings.
dont be sexting/texting/mobile phoning and looking at the girl on the sidewalk with the huge t!ts..

if everyone followed these two simple rules, there'd be no cars flipping over and accidents happening
:eeps::tsk:

If only................:rofl:

#5 ·
I think maybe the question is is there a reason to anticipate a roll over?

Driving in a manner which might invite a roll over on public roads is, ah, dumb.

Driving at a track, where such an occurrence is more likely would probably mean you'd feel better with a full roll cage and safety harnesses.

Granted, even someone else's mistake on a highway at 60 can cause a rollover, so then maybe the question becomes will you ever feel safe in a convertible? Period.

Hands down the coupe has more protection, and given it's got to meet all the crash test requirements, I'd say its at least as safe as most other cars on the road. (Cars, not drivers... ;) )

As for reliability, I can only offer feedback based on what I've read here (car is still new to me): with regular maintenance, many of the current crop of BMW engines are near bullet proof. It's a fact most of their engines are over built, which helps with reliability.

#6 ·
this reminds me of the last time i went to the local porsche dealer - salesman said some guy rolled a brand new boxster then i was like omg thats ridiculous..
then i went home and thought about it. seriously, what kind of driving do you have to be doing to roll a boxster? they drive it like they stole it on top gear and it still didnt roll.
i mean obviously the z4 is in the same class as a boxster and i dont think you can flip the car unless you enter it in an event in the X-Games

#13 ·
The Z3 coupe and the Z4 coupe both had extremely strong A, B, and C pillars and are among the strongest and safest cars on the road for a rollover type accident, in my opinion. The roadster is no better or worse than a lot of other similar vehicles with integral roll bars, like the Boxster and the Audi TT. Pick your poison and live your life accordingly. If you want to feel the wind in your hair and look at the heavens, you might have to make certain sacrifices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.