BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trans Slow

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  omarphi215 
#1 ·
When I start the car, the gears change at 3000 rpms or higher and when it gets hot in 3-4 minutes shifts normal at 2000 rpms. I have check the trans fluid lever and is ok. Is this normal or there is a problem with the trans? It's 1995.

#2 ·
sounds like its just warming up.. idk has it done this the whole time you've owned it or did you just buy it, if so give it a little time and see how it shifts and if it jerks or shifts hard then maybe there is something wrong but im guessing its just to warm up quicker :dunno:

#3 ·
Well its not supposed to shift oddly when its cold either. However, transmission fluid expands when its hot. If your transmission shifts normally when its hot but not when its cold, I'm guessing that you don't have enough transmission fluid there to begin with. When there's too little fluid, odd shifting is noticed. This is a cheap and easy problem to fix.

Did you recently change the oil in your transmission? There is a special technique associated with changing the oil. Read up on the bentley manual for this technique. Search these forums for the download link. Let us know how it goes.

#4 ·
At least the later models are designed to shift at higher rpm for the first 3-4 minutes to help it warm up quicker. I understand it is to lower overall emission levels. Feels a bit like the sport mode. Mine has done it since I have owned it for over 7 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.