BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Quick Brake Question 330i

785 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
So I've been dealing with a chirping coming from my driver's side rear wheel - but didn't think it was the brakes because there is no pad sensor warning light. My mechanic was busy so I just ran over to Sears Auto and had them take a "free" look at the brakes and they're telling me the pads are toast.

Looking at the Zimmerman kit at Oembimmerparts.com - http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Brake_Kit_Zimmermann_W_Pads_Sensor_p/e46brakekitsz.htm

or the Meyle-Fremax - http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Brake_Kit_p/e46brakekitmyc.htm

Quick feedback??

#4 ·
Either one would be a good choice, IMHO, about the only difference is that you would probably see a little less brake dust with the second setup....

#5 ·
So I've been dealing with a chirping coming from my driver's side rear wheel - but didn't think it was the brakes because there is no pad sensor warning light.
It is entirely possible that the pads are toast. The brake wear sensors are on opposite ends of the car and not on all 4 wheels (ie. driver's side front and passenger side rear IIRC).

Plan on doing both sides.

#7 · (Edited)
Quick feedback??
- What brake pads and rotors are most often recommended for street use for your bimmer?

See also:
- What friction grade (e.g., EE, FF, EF, etc.) is recommended for BMW brake pads (1) (2) & what street use brake pads (1) and rotors (1) and suppliers (1) (2) are most often recommended & how to do a complete four wheel brake job DIY (1) (2) (3) including the parking brake drum shoes (1) (2) (3) & exactly what lube/paste to use and not use (1) & where to lube (1) and not to lube (1) & what six brake hoses to check for wear (1) & how to do a preventive brake system & caliper rebuild (1) (2) & what tools are needed for a brake job (1) (2) and supplies for doing brakes (1) & what brake specifications you must know (1) including minimum specs for the brake shoes (1) (2) taking care to measure torque accurately (1) & how to crack friction material edge codes (1) & how far you can go once the brake wear sensor trips (1) (2) (3) (4) & how long do rotors last (1) & what's the real difference between drilled, slotted, and solid rotors (1) & what's the difference between various brands of solid rotors (1) & how to clear the check brake lining warning the right way (1) (2) and how to hardwire the sensor (1) (2) & how to diagnose brake-related vibration (1) (2) (3) & the truth about rotor "warp" (1) & how to rebuild the calipers (1) & how to measure runout (1) & should you just turn the rotors (1) & how to remove stuck rusted-on brake rotors (1) & how to remove a stuck 6mm brake rotor set screw (1) & how to replace the anti-rattle spring (1) (2) & what about unsightly rust (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to bed (1) (2) & bleed or flush (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) your brakes & what brake & clutch hydraulic fluid to use (1) and how much it will cost if you do not DIY (1) (2) (3)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.