BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

buying some tools, please confirm

988 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  frank325 
#1 ·
I'm getting a new 435 this year, and will be buying a separate set of winter wheels and tires for next winter. Ive never changed a wheel before, so dont have the necessary tools yet. So far I've got a jack from costco. I'm now looking to get the required hand tools. keep in mind, I only need these for swapping wheels twice a year, so I don't need top of the line stuff.

I was going to get the below torque wrench from tire rack, a 17 mm thin wall socket, and the power wrench they have. Also was going to get a wheel pin from somewhere.

1. Is there much of a difference between a power wrench and a breaker bar?
2. Is a 17mm socket appropriate for 4 series wheels? Sounds like all BMWs I've read about so far require a 17mm socket.
3. Any feedback on these options, remembering this is for a wheel swap twice a year only. Won't need the torque wrench for other auto work.
4. Any tools or accessories I'm forgetting about?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=75&category=Tools
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=1&category=Tools
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=45&category=Tools

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about the power wrench, but I would skip on those sockets. There are some aluminum non-marking sockets available from your local auto parts supply or I have seen them on the ECS website. Just order or buy one of those in 17mm and be done. I've never actually used a torque wrench on my wheels (just a breaker bar and one of those sockets) and never had a problem.

An electric impact wrench is a great solution also, but as rarely as you'll use it, don't spend a lot of money on one. A Harbor Freight model would be fine for your purposes.

#3 ·
1 - Same idea, most "power wrenches" are extendible breakers bars.
2 - Bingo stock wheel bolts have 17mm heads.

The wheel hanger for the 435 is going to need to be an M14x1.25 thread set, the Schwaben one (LINK) is rather nice.

As marshalltj said, I'd go with sockets designed for wheel use. Personally I have (and love) the Schwaben Long Reach Protecta Sockets (LINK), the extra length (vs a standard socket) give you a little extra room between the body of the car and the breaker bar/torque wrench.

-James

#4 ·
Hi there again, Frank.

Those are some excellent prices for that equipment. I wouldn't have any fear about using that socket, myself, the primary fear for me is being long enough.

I only have one wheel guide myself, but I've considered getting a second one when I see that others have used pairs.

I'm curious about the Costco jack. I'm on my second jack right now, and I know Harbor Freight, er Hazard Fraught, is anathema to not a few wrenchers, but I love their 2 ton, low profile, Long Reach jack. Weighs a ton though, as it's not aluminum. I reach central lifts points no problem from either end. It is so easy and quick, I even prefer it now for oil changes, and my Rhino ramps are almost useless to me now. Love it.

I did splurge on 4x Reverse Logic modified jack stands. They make me feel more secure and I don't ruin any of the those plastic lift points/guides. Very nice. Pricey.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I'd go with sockets designed for wheel use. Personally I have (and love) the Schwaben Long Reach Protecta Sockets (LINK),
One problem with this -- I don't want to buy 3 sockets when I only need 1 of them. The other two will just sit there unused, and that's quite a bit to plunk down for just one of them. I don't see them sold separately unfortunately.

I saw a Kobalt deep socket at Lowes and it had a rubber feel around the outside of it. I assume that would be a good option?

#6 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback.

One problem with this -- I don't want to buy 3 sockets when I only need 1 of them. The other two will just sit there unused, and that's quite a bit to plunk down for just one of them. I don't see them sold separately unfortunately.

I saw a Kobalt deep socket at Lowes and it had a rubber feel around the outside of it. I assume that would be a good option?
Here you go, I saw this the other day, single protected socket,

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_protective_wheel_socket.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.