BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2005 325i E46 M54 Idle and Driving Problems

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ahull 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently took ownership of my Father's 2005 BMW 325i E46 M54 model.

I am extremely excited about having it, however, I have some issues that I am trying to resolve.

I have searched the forums for countless days and have read so much about "similar" issues, however, I can't seem to "exactly" pinpoint mine.

I am posting here today in an attempt to find out what is really going on with this car.

History:

-Took ownership on 8/25/2014 - "Service Engine Soon" light on. Rough idle when starting in the morning 6am, "rattling" noise. Idle would level out steady and "rattle" would stop after minute or two. Drove fine to work. 4pm - Rough idle again for 1-2 minutes upon start.

-On 8/26/2014 6am - Rough idle at start again. Car went limp and idle was going crazy (best I can describe it) and I had to pull over. Shut it off and then started again, and it let me drive it to work. 10am - Dropped off at service station (not dealer). Mechanic called and said that intake boot had a split in it. He changed that and also changed the spark plugs. He cleared codes P0171 and P0174 and said that the changes would fix the idling problem.

-Next 3 days, still rough idle at start, but no "limping" causing me to pull over for these 3 days.

-Today, 8/30, same codes returned "system too lean". Took to different station to inquire about rough idles at start. Recommended I let them do fuel system cleaning. I agreed, minimal smoke seemed to come from exhaust. They said they cleared codes and that it should "help". Driving home, tried to accelerate "hard" to see if "get-up-and go" had returned, and engine went into the same state as on the 26th - crazy erratic idle, went limp, had to putt-putt into a spot on the side of the road. Turned car off, restarted, drove fine home.

I've read about all kinds of "possibilities". For example, maybe clean the ICV, maybe faulty DISA, try SeaFoam, try Techron. They are all valid, I'm sure, but I haven't seen my particular symptoms, especially the having to pull over so frequently.

I was hoping maybe I could find a definitive solution to my particular problem? Reason being, to be honest, I really can't afford to spend too much $$ right now, but don't want to neglect the car either.

I am willing to remove the ICV and clean it if necessary. I have watched multiple videos showing how (seems a bit intimidating when it gets to where you actually get it out), but that may just be because I am new to the vehicle and have newbie jitters.

I'd appreciate any insight that you could provide. I thank you in advance as many of you unselfishly take the time to help those (like me) who aren't as experienced and get them (me) driving safely again. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
You most likely have a vacuum leak. I would start by pulling the codes and go from there. Everything you are describing leads to a vacuum leak. Check the CCV and all it's related hoses. You may want a tech to smoke test your intake and see where it's leaking from

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 · (Edited)
You most likely have a vacuum leak. I would start by pulling the codes and go from there. Everything you are describing leads to a vacuum leak. Check the CCV and all it's related hoses. You may want a tech to smoke test your intake and see where it's leaking from

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thank you so much for responding, it is much appreciated.

The shop where we live most likely will reopen until Monday or Tuesday, not sure because of Labor day.

That being said, I am only left to keep tinkering with it myself today and tomorrow.

Started it up this morning and it made a loud knock once (ONE loud "knock", not multiple or "knocking") but in a matter of seconds the idle regulated itself. I will try to take a video of it tomorrow morning to see if I can catch it on tape and share it.

I attempted to find the leak this morning using the carb cleaner method, however, I was unsuccessful in making any change in idle or stall. Engine light is still off.

I do have a question about a part I observed. I apologize in advance for not knowing the name of it. It lives below the lower intake boot and appears to have a port opening to the rear and some sort of tab at the top. Should this "part" have something connected to the opening? Because if so, it doesn't appear to.

It was hard to take a shot of it, but I did the best that I could. It's a bit blurry (sorry!) but I hope someone can tell me what it is called and IF something is supposed to be connected to the opening. Image is attached.

Thank you in advance. Being new to this and new here, I really appreciate the kindness.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.