BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fuel Pump Lifespan

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jonohio 
#1 ·
All:

What is the lifespan of the fuel pump on a 2006 530xi? The last BMW we had was a 2001 325i and the E46 series evidently lasts about 100,000 miles. I know this because we went out to get in it and drive away to church one sunday morning when I turned it over and it just quit on me.

My guess is that it is around the 100,000 mile mark, and we are at about 70,000 now.

How easy it is to replace the pump and can I find an aftermarket part? The 325i was super easy because it was under the rear seat. I had it in and out in about an hour (including the time it took to go buy the part at the auto parts store). I looked on Youtube for a video to watch but couldn't find anything.

Also, is there some sort of iDrive BS that is going to have to be reset or rubbed the right way so that it thinks everything is okey dokey when it is replaced?

Just curious so I can do some maintenance scheduling and figure out when would be a good time to replace it.

#2 · (Edited)
Fuel pump [and the filter] are under rear seat. Pump is on the passenger side and the filter is on drivers side. To replace pump, you will need to open both sides because the harness on the pump need to be connected [via the hump in the tank] to the fuel filter. If you are going to replace pump, you might as well replace the filter.

I have replaced both filter and pump. Removing that big collar ring was the difficult part for me because I didn't get the $100 tool to remove that. I just used screw driver and hammer for removing and I bought a new collar ring.

As for the lifespan, mine was working fine at 110K miles, I replaced before getting stranded.

#4 ·
Fuel pump lifespan

I have 153k on my 04 530i and haven't replaced it yet. Maybe I should think about it.

Hmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.