BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hello,... And a REALLY strange question

725 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Reeds 540 
#1 ·
This is my first BMW, but not the first on line forum. It's great to have this resource available for times like this. Just purchased a 2000 540i sedan. Beautiful, garages stored, 10 years of maintenance records and a local mechanic. I woke up this morning and found all windows down and sunroof open. I have both original BMW keys in my home and none are missing. Nothing taken nothing disturbed. It's possible I left it unlocked, but nothing would function without key anyway. I've had no problems the last week driving car except it needs a cam position sensor.
Can this happen? Or did someone use a key from my home overnight and put it back. ( I'm concerned either way):dunno:

#2 ·
:)Welcome. From yahoo answers...
(question)"Why did the windows on my 2008 328i BMW roll down by themselves?
I got out of my car with all windows closed. When I went back to get in my car, all of the windows were down and my sunroof was open. The key was with me in my purse. The spare key was at home. The only way that the windows can roll down is if the key was in. Could this be some weird electrical glitch? I just cant see how, considering the car was locked and the key was not in it. It was pretty scary.
(answer)
If you hold down the unlock button on your remote for a few seconds, the windows will roll down and the sunroof will open. The button must have been accidentally pressed while in your purse or pocket."

Also, from personal experience, if you put the key in the door, I guess of most newer BMW's, and turn the key one way or the other and hold it for a few seconds, same thing happens. Reverse process to close.
You'll dig your 5 series. I've owned many many many cars over the last half century and once I found a good pre-owned high mileage '95 540i at a fraction of the original price about 10 years ago, the BMW love affair was on. Best regards.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.