BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What to do after u go FBO?

11K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  GQJQ 
#1 ·
Just wondering what all the 535ers do performance wise after they go FBO ( tune, intake, fmic, dp's, meth, and rb turbos)

#3 ·
It's a 3 liter engine with twin turbo. Designed as a luxury performance sedan. The platform was sort of taken to the limit with the M5, though the N54 engine can be tuned even further. At some point you have to change too many things to make everything balance out. F.ex. if the objective was to have a super quick and agile track demon, then starting out with a loaded 3,800 lbs car is not a smart way to approach it. Better to get a 135 and gut it, then overhaul suspension and tune it. Some times more power is actually detrimental to the overall performance result.

#4 ·
it's a 3 liter engine with twin turbo. Designed as a luxury performance sedan. The platform was sort of taken to the limit with the m5, though the n54 engine can be tuned even further. At some point you have to change too many things to make everything balance out. F.ex. If the objective was to have a super quick and agile track demon, then starting out with a loaded 3,800 lbs car is not a smart way to approach it. Better to get a 135 and gut it, then overhaul suspension and tune it. Some times more power is actually detrimental to the overall performance result.
+1

#5 ·
Yeah I was just wondering what u guys were doing after FBO. I'm a noob and don't really plan on doing more then FBO. You could say I'm just bored and wondering. I apologize

#10 ·
Right now I have jb4 dp's dci and meth kit. Plan on a fmic this summer

#11 ·
I don't understand the hate in this thread. I can respect a person's opinion that they believe this is a luxury sedan so there's no point in modifying it for more power. But, why even bother clicking on a thread titled "What to do after u go FBO?" To just piss on the OP's decision to mod their car?

OP - No need to apologize. There are a number of people who are modding their 535s because they are super easy to mod and the E90/E92 folks have done all the hard testing already on the N54 motor. So, why not take advantage of their development and see how far a N54 equipped E60 can be pushed?

I drove my friend's SMG E60 M5 and test drove a 6MT E60 M5. The M5 is a great car, but I thought it felt really heavy and the engine was a like a big block Honda VTEC motor (this is not a knock, it is a high compliment as Honda makes some awesome motors). It was fast and it revved like a mofo, but the M5 felt a tad weak on torque. It did not feel as nimble as my 535 or the 550i I test drove. I did love how linear the M5 motor was and how precise throttle position gave you exact degree of acceleration.

With that said, I am enjoying my 535i with Cobb tune. It pulls hard, feels noticeably lighter and nimbler than the M5s and, N54 reliability issues aside, I am sure it will be cheaper to maintain than the M5 not to mention the gas mileage which is massively better.

As for the weight of a 535, it is 3,660 lbs vs. 3560 lbs for my 335is. We are talking about literally just 100 lb difference. Additionally, a 550i weighs 3,946 lbs and an E60 M5 weighs 4,090 lbs. So the whole argument about not tracking a 535 because it's too heavy just doesn't make sense. In fact, a 535i is lighter than a E92 M3 which weighs over 3,700 lbs. I don't think anyone would argue that a M3 is too heavy to track.

Finally, I agree you should get an intercooler if you have not already done so. I plan to do that as my next mod - not necessarily for more power, but to make the engine run cooler and more reliably. Then again, you are running meth and it is arguable whether an intercooler would give you any benefits. If you are running meth all the time, with the power levels you are making FBO, I would skip the intercooler and step up to a LSD. That will allow you to put all that power to the pavement.

#12 ·
Alter,

That's a rather optimistic curb weight you cite.
Car and Driver lists the 2008 535Xi at 4042 lbs. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2008-bmw-535xi-short-take-road-test
Perhaps a tad high, but Xdrive adds a couple hundred pounds.
My 535i weighs 3,800 lbs, which I thought was amazing since my E39 540i weighed 3,750 with manual tranny.
The 3 and 5 series share many components, but when you look at them side by side it is hard to argue that only 100 lbs separate them. The 5 looks 20% bigger, taller, wider, longer.

If you look at my signature you'll note that I am not against modding the E60 at all. But I do see many guys getting into BMWs and then treat them like American muscle cars. If you are going to put 700+ hp through a light weight inline 6 3L block, then a lot of factors need to be addressed unless the goal is to blow it up. It requires some research and ongoing attention backed by diagnostic input.
PS, the OP is a friend and there is no hate at all.

#13 ·
But I do see many guys getting into BMWs and then treat them like American muscle cars. If you are going to put 700+ hp through a light weight inline 6 3L block, then a lot of factors need to be addressed unless the goal is to blow it up. It requires some research and ongoing attention backed by diagnostic input.
True.
Diagnostics equipment is a MUST when running tunes on these cars, and not just code readers.
People usually try to squeeze power out of the car and have no logs, then when issues come up want BMW to pay. As much as the N54 can handle its still a delicate motor.

#15 ·
Yep, agree. My main concern is newbies buying a 335 or 535 and aiming for 700hp without paying careful attention to all the elements that need to be considered when you more than double the stock power. I am amazed at how they hold up to abuse, and I specifically don't want to run my car that way. I want the power to be well managed by all the support systems that ensure longevity.
I agree that the N54 is an amazing engine, especially the torque band and the smoothness from 2,000 to nearly 6,000 rpms. I had a 99 540i V8 before this car and loved the way it drove. But a tuned N54 is a whole different ballgame, baby.

#17 ·
That was my intent as well. My car is a lot quieter and comfortable, yet as fast as an M5 until I hit 120. Then the M5 walks me. That will soon change as RBs are on their way. Game changers. :rofl:

#24 ·
hmm thats interesting, So Sport package is a better option than M sport w.r.t Performance/Tires?

I am thinking M Sport is just for looks, correct me if i am wrong

Because i have a 08 sport package and it is 275 in the rear

#25 ·
Yup. Mine came with just 245s in the rear. It's a square set up. Maybe that was intentional? I know the 550s come with 245/275 set up. Don't know about the tires b/c the stock ones were worn out and the dealer put on some brand new crappy no-name brand tires.

Considering going to a 255 all around square set up for ease of tire rotation b/c I'm cheap. Will probably just stick w/ the 245/275 front/rear set up in a 19" size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.