BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

745i transmission fault, NOT the normal one!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  alpinaman24 
#1 ·
Hi All

My car is drives fine in normal driving (gear changes under 4000 RPM) unless I boot it then the transmission fluffs the gear change, power to engine is cut dramatically, then sometimes the engine power continues to be cut or on/off feeling and the accelerator pedal does not cause the engine to rev properly (all or nothing feel). After a 10 to 20 seconds the car continues as if nothing has happened! No warning lights, Nothing! Until you boot it again.

Has anyone herd of this? Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks very much in advance

Tim

#4 ·
thanks for your reply but what is an inpa (codes read?) and when i check the system on idrive it reports no faults.

What about this hidden battery charge menu, does anyone know about this as my battery often dies when left for a couple of days, not always just sometimes and if the ignition is left on it is quick to tell me that THE BATTERY NEEDS RECHARGING.

#5 ·
ok so on the transmission looks like you might be low on fluid when its trying to kick down its slipping causing everything else that electronically controlled to respond to the "trip"

now for seeing actual values ..

press and hold mileage reset button

a menu will pop up that shows service menu

continue holding ........... another menu will pop up .............

now you will see

etc go to idetification and hold trip button now a menu will pop up on the tacho side

add the last 5 digits of your vin

then go back into the selection menu

click until you reach " unlock" ..

whatever your total is put that code in

THEN you go to

data or actual values and youll should be able to see actual values .. will be in metric form only

#6 ·
Thanks for that, great advice. However, my car does not slip in kickdown but when changing up on full throttle or near full, say from 3rd to 4th, or 2nd to 3rd. The kickdown part seems to cause no problem. I have not actually kicked down much. The Engine cuts as if to protect and can take a few seconds of backed off throttle to catch its breath and carry on as normal. It shifts smooth and crisp in normal driving (up to about 4000 rpm) I can accelerate briskly with no problem i just cant push too hard.

Is there a way to test the fluid level of transmission?

Thanks in advance
Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.