BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E36 Tattoos-In Memory of Amber

88K views 299 replies 78 participants last post by  bboyvek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Preface/intro:

This thread was posted by Amber back in September of 2009. She was a fascinating person and an artist. She was much like an adopted daughter to me, so when she took her own life in August of 2017 the entire E36 community (especially me) here was shocked and saddened. It was decided to sticky her thread (permanently keep it at the top of the forum) as a tribute to her memory. Rest in peace my child. We all miss you.

Ken, E36 forum moderator

After waiting forever on the project that never wants to end, and alluding to it a few times, I'll show you guys my newest "mod". I'm aware the vast majority of you will say sand it off and go back in the traditional E36 box.... But, I'm very proud of it and love the way it turned out. The car isn't finished by any means, but this is pretty much the centerpiece so I'll share it as it is. More components are on their way, and hopefully the weather will cooperate this tiMe and allow it all to be clearcoated in a more timely manner.

A little about the designs. Yes, its Sharpie. Was inspired by the Sharpie Lambo and a fellow BMW owner on here; the difference is in the method I used as well as the artwork itself. It took over 30 hours total to do it, including the wetsanding. After my part was completed, it sat around and waited for my painter to clear coat it, then sat around after that waiting to be put back on the car. Thunderstorms every day that the hood was scheduled to be painted and then again for the install... It's taken about 3 months to get the hood back on the car.

Here's the BMW that inspired me to use my car as a canvas:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356162&highlight=

And the Lambo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vodcars/1981244224/in/set-72157603104900070/

And now for mine!

Pictures of the hood off the car first to see the details and designs better (pre-clear coat):

And on the car:

See less See more
Reactions: iB22
#34 ·
That looks awesome, wish i had skills like that. it's got a laid back CA feel instead of the overly played out "asian" tattoo thing that I was scared I'd see whenI opened this link. I like it just the way it is, i wouldn't do it to anymore of the car except maybe the trunk; anything more would be overkill.

#36 ·
A little about the designs. Yes, its Sharpie. Was inspired by the Sharpie Lambo and a fellow BMW owner on here; the difference is in the method I used as well as the artwork itself. It took over 30 hours total to do it, including the wetsanding. After my part was completed, it sat around and waited for my painter to clear coat it, then sat around after that waiting to be put back on the car. Thunderstorms every day that the hood was scheduled to be painted and then again for the install... It's taken about 3 months to get the hood back on the car.
No matter how hard I try,I just can't seem to find your "part" on the car.:angel:

But for the "tattoo", which I do see, its really really good!:thumbup:

#39 ·
#43 ·
Damn Barbie, i did not think i would like it at all but was proven wrong a thousand times over. You should just do the roof now too. That would really set it off and integrate the hood with the rest of the car.

#48 ·
Amber, you already know that I just absolutely can't stand HOW FREAKING AWESOME THAT IS!!! :thumbup:

Checkin out that work its easy to see the 30 hours, the circle work up near the top left corner is sooooo beeeeaaaasssst (I have always used beast in the best of ways, in case you are one of those people who question the meaning of beast :) )

I say stay away from the sides, leave it on the top parts of the car, buuuut if I were you I would go get some black/white emblems :D (or you could be really nifty and do red sharpie on your side mouldings :D )

Edit: A pat on the back for Andy :rofl:

#54 ·
Once you start it, there definitely isn't much room for error, other than just making an entire section black. A lot of pre-planning to get the negative space figured out was required.

#55 ·
Once you start it, there definitely isn't much room for error, other than just making an entire section black.
Entire black hood?

Tofu, anyone?

Ricer.... :p :p :p

#73 ·
Oooh! Those were all the Sharpie pens it took to do just the hood... The only difference between them is the tip size.

Holy mother of jesus that is disgusting.
Sand it off and go back to the original. I cant believe any one would even dare attempt to step out of the box and try something new and daring.
That is just preposterous. Shame upon thee.

HAHAHAHAH jk amber I love it. It looks so awesome. Except now your hood looks better than the rest of your car cuz of that new clear coat. Complete awesomeness. GL with the rest of it :thumbup:
:rofl: So silly.

I am going to pick up a spare hood, paint it dark charcoal, then sharpie a design on it.. Im inspired. I am thinking of going a little bit of a different route, but wow...
:thumbup: Awesome! Send me pics please?

+1 on the white sharpie thing that someone said earlier :thumbup:

it could be really sick :yikes:
They have silver too.... And yellow. Also, its just an oil-based paint. Any paint pen would work as long as the paint is oil-based. I stuck with Sharpie because the black was proven to be that deep color, and it wouldn't be a very good idea to attempt to switch brands halfway through the project. The color variations... Ew.

#59 ·
sand it off and go back in the traditional E36 box

Love it, them edirty6 people were just mean about it. haha. Too bad black wont show up too well on the dark blue/puprle color.

#86 ·
Love it, them edirty6 people were just mean about it. haha. .
Bit harsh there was only one fool on there that didnt like it I think!! The rest of us thought it was absolutely awesome!!

#62 ·
Holy mother of jesus that is disgusting.
Sand it off and go back to the original. I cant believe any one would even dare attempt to step out of the box and try something new and daring.
That is just preposterous. Shame upon thee.

HAHAHAHAH jk amber I love it. It looks so awesome. Except now your hood looks better than the rest of your car cuz of that new clear coat. Complete awesomeness. GL with the rest of it :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.