BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

760Li transmission issue (1st gear kickdown)

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  BMW_tech 
#1 ·
I've had my 06 760li since Nov 08. 11k miles on it when I bought it. It is still under the new car warranty.

I noticed the oft mentioned 1st gear kick as if you are rear ended. I took it to the dealership and went for a ride with one of the mechanics. I was able to reproduce it at will. They took it and "fixed" it. As soon as I got the car back I knew it was not fixed but I didn't have time to go back.
A month later I found the time and gave the car in again. It's been a few days. The bmw rep at the dealership says the shop is conversing with bmw about the issue.
The previous owner was an old man who had a couple of accidents. One was for 8k in damage the other for 5k. BMW is saying that because of these accidents they will not fix the transmission under warranty. My thinking is that 8k and 5k to a car like this is small potatoes. This of course does not sit well with me and I will take this to the highest courts if I have to. To think that a 125K car with 15k miles on it should have a transmission issue that was once fixed already by BMW.

Any one have thoughts on this? I'm curious as to how the rest of you would handle this. The dealership is still trying to get bmw to authorize a fix. From my research though, on this board, it seems that there really is no fix. The car drivers fine and I can control the tranny with the buttons on the steering wheel. But why should I have to do this exactly?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same issue to, but its very sporadic or occurs all the time when in S mode. I took it to BMW and they said NPF, but they said really they wanted to get me back into my own car so I wouldn't have to pay for another day in the loaner car and they said they'd fix it the next time I came in for my peeling kick-panels.

#4 ·
Luckily the dealership I go to (Bayarea CA) has given me a loaner each and every time I have come in with the car, 4 times now all for free.
The original owner (whom I know personally is about 80 yrs old) bought it in NY. I bought it from him and had it transported to where I live in CA.

I know that because I am not the original owner I have less sway with BMW but I did buy the car because of the warranty still being in effect. I'm not sure how car companies look at second/third, etc owners of their cars. I can't see them buying it back since I am not the original owner but as far as warranty is concerned it shouldn't matter how many owners have had the car.

I'm expecting to hear something on Monday. I'll post as soon as I know something.

#12 ·
Hello neighbor! In the off chance you tried the dealership in San Mateo, I recommend the one in Santa Clara (I have seen more positive reviews about the latter than the former). I had the hard downshift to first problem also - I think it was a "guibo" (???) problem. They fixed it...

#6 · (Edited)
I've had my 06 760li since Nov 08. 11k miles on it when I bought it. It is still under the new car warranty.

I noticed the oft mentioned 1st gear kick as if you are rear ended. I took it to the dealership and went for a ride with one of the mechanics. I was able to reproduce it at will. They took it and "fixed" it. As soon as I got the car back I knew it was not fixed but I didn't have time to go back.
A month later I found the time and gave the car in again. It's been a few days. The bmw rep at the dealership says the shop is conversing with bmw about the issue.
The previous owner was an old man who had a couple of accidents. One was for 8k in damage the other for 5k. BMW is saying that because of these accidents they will not fix the transmission under warranty. My thinking is that 8k and 5k to a car like this is small potatoes. This of course does not sit well with me and I will take this to the highest courts if I have to. To think that a 125K car with 15k miles on it should have a transmission issue that was once fixed already by BMW.

Any one have thoughts on this? I'm curious as to how the rest of you would handle this. The dealership is still trying to get bmw to authorize a fix. From my research though, on this board, it seems that there really is no fix. The car drivers fine and I can control the tranny with the buttons on the steering wheel. But why should I have to do this exactly?
Have you tried another dealer? Sometimes when confronted w/ a stubborn SA/dealer, its best to try a couple more-it may be worth the travel. Also, below is some threads from some of the guys who've had their 7 lemoned, it may help you. btw, most of us who've had your same problem, have difficulty reproducing it @ will. You're in a unique situation because you can. Did the prior accidents damage underneath the car?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9068341

I have the same issue to, but its very sporadic or occurs all the time when in S mode. I took it to BMW and they said NPF, but they said really they wanted to get me back into my own car so I wouldn't have to pay for another day in the loaner car and they said they'd fix it the next time I came in for my peeling kick-panels.
I wouldn't accept the car back until it was fixed. They already know what the problem is. If they're having difficulty fixing it, they should pick up the rental expense. Try another dealer/SA & make them fix it.

as long you are under the bumper to bumper warranty your can be bought back by BMW, i am sure its a CA law... get a lawyer, there are a lot of people had that done on this board
+1

#8 ·
Have you tried another dealer? Sometimes when confronted w/ a stubborn SA/dealer, its best to try a couple more-it may be worth the travel. Also, below is some threads from some of the guys who've had their 7 lemoned, it may help you. btw, most of us who've had your same problem, have difficulty reproducing it @ will. You're in a unique situation because you can. Did the prior accidents damage underneath the car?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9068341

I wouldn't accept the car back until it was fixed. They already know what the problem is. If they're having difficulty fixing it, they should pick up the rental expense. Try another dealer/SA & make them fix it.

+1
I have to pay for the loaner cars since i didn't buy the car from fields BMW and they were nice enough to get it to me for 1 day for free, and it was at least a BMW and not a small car. They said they would get me the loaner car for 1 day for free when I came in for the installation of the kick panels (takes about 2hrs) and they would work on the trans to so I wouldn't have to fork up 50 dollars for a loaner for the next day

#13 ·
Thanks for the info Lennynchris.

Here is an update I got from my SA yesterday.
BMW had the dealership check all the under car parts for originality. The transmission and other pieces. They were saying they wouldn't fix the issue due to the accidents but all the parts are still the original ones so now they say they will deal with it.

They still don't know exactly what they will do to fix it but that should be known by the end of this week. It's curious that they should be so clueless on how to fix this since they must have encountered this a bunch of times by now. I'm thinking they are stalling to figure out the cheapest way for them to get out of this.

I'll keep you guys posted....

#14 ·
I just got the call from my SA.

BMW will be putting in a new tranny for my car. It is not a new tranny but a refurbished one from BMW. The SA told me that all the internals will be new but the outside case will be a used one. Does that make sense? I don't really want a used tranny when the one I'm giving them has only 15k miles on it, don't really know what the refurb tranny went through before coming into BMW.
I'll get a two year unlimited mile warranty on the new tranny from the day it's installed.

Is this a good thing? I'm wondering if the refurb tranny is as good as a new one.

#17 ·
why? the cycle would just repeat itself and tehy would just replace his refurbished tranny w/ a another refurb. :rofl: his car spent enough time at the dealer. i'm still waiting for the hard 2nd---->1st clunk to return. it should be back any day now. :(

#20 ·
out of curiosity, what bay area dealer are you going to? is it by chance concord? also how far are you from san jose? you can take it to the infamous bmwtech and know it will be diagnosed and repaired properly....

in the end, however, the problem will still persist... your vehicle is fairly new so you shouldnt be having issues early on... i had the 2-1 downshift problem... the dealer corrected it by updating software and replacing guibo joint... this helped greatly, though it did not go away completely...

#22 ·
I took the car to Peter Pan which is in San Mateo.
I'm not familiar with bmwtech. I will look into it when my car is out of warranty.

i thought they would fix it too with a software update and the guibo joint. I guess that is what they did when I took the car in the first time. Since the problem did not go away bmw decided to change out the tranny.

a buyback would be great but i am not the original owner. i'm actually starting to worry that this car won't last too long. it's a shame, i love the car. it's perfect for me.

i'll send an update once i get the car back with the new tranny.

#23 ·
I took the car to Peter Pan which is in San Mateo.
I'm not familiar with bmwtech. I will look into it when my car is out of warranty.

i thought they would fix it too with a software update and the guibo joint. I guess that is what they did when I took the car in the first time. Since the problem did not go away bmw decided to change out the tranny.

a buyback would be great but i am not the original owner. i'm actually starting to worry that this car won't last too long. it's a shame, i love the car. it's perfect for me.

i'll send an update once i get the car back with the new tranny.
thats not a problem. harjot and other members were second owners of the car.

#26 ·
I'm planning to check the tranny very well once it goes in. If the problem comes back within the two years alotted for warranty then I will bring up the buy back. I'll push them until they break. I've spent too much money for this car to be a lemon.
what have you done to it?

do you have any engine problems? i ask because i had tons of oil leaks and various gaskets kept blowing.

#28 · (Edited)
If it's yellow, it is a lemon. It's obviously sour, as your facial expression shows. May I have a glass if you decide to make lemonaide out of it? Oh, make sure Peter Pan stops sprinkling Pixie dust when reparing BMW's. Maybe it's the techs, snorting Tinker Bell and Pixie dust. Just chiming in to introduce myself. My apologies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.