BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

05 745Li - Removing 2 disks from single player

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  obmd1 
#1 ·
Dealer wants $400 to remove the disks from the single (not the changer) CD player on our '05 745Li.

Someone put a second disk in, not knowing there was already one inserted.:eek:

How do I get them out? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
press eject?? U would have really had to force that thing in there huh??:bawling:

#5 ·
Do you use CD's that much? just use the changer or pay the money to get an MP3 adapter instead of fixing it.

I am guessing a child did this?

#6 ·
#9 ·
removing stuck CD

Pulling it out isn't that hard to do. I've had my dash trim out twice working on the HVAC knob retrofit. If you are at all handy, you can take this unit out and open the cover to see what's stuck. The player may be damaged now, but once the CD's are removed you can plug it in to test. If it's bad, then a replacement from eBay or elsewhere is called for.
good luck,

#11 ·
Pulling it out isn't that hard to do. I've had my dash trim out twice working on the HVAC knob retrofit. If you are at all handy, you can take this unit out and open the cover to see what's stuck. The player may be damaged now, but once the CD's are removed you can plug it in to test. If it's bad, then a replacement from eBay or elsewhere is called for.
good luck,
thanks for this. I am quite handy, but I won't bore you with my automotive hobbiest adventures. Based upon them, however, I know the key to BMWs is solving the 'Chinese puzzle'; knowing where the fasteners are and exactly how to remove without damage.

The player works, playing the first disk inserted. Actually, it is not at all hard to insert a second disk. Both my wife and my neighbor, a longtime BMW owner and client advisor at the largest dealer in the US, did it. He is hardly a child, a non-car guy or a dummie. Neither is she.

Where are the fasteners and how are they accessed behind the dash trim pieces?

thanks in advance for helping.

#10 ·
Like the previous post stated it is not difficult to remove the ASK unit from these cars. It may be somewhat intimidating for some people to tackle this but it is quite simple to do. Once you remove the ASK you will be able to take it apart and remove the CDs. But like jcarey stated the internal mechanism might be FUBAR'D.

#15 ·
The only fuses I can find are I the trunk, for the changer and the radio. I find no fuses in the glovebox or any info in the car manuals about where more might be.

Holding the eject button, I hear it trying to function, but no disk ejects. I think it wants to lift, then eject a disk, but cannot lift due to the 2nd one on top. The 1st disk plays just fine.

#16 ·
maybe needle nose pliers to pull it out??

#18 · (Edited)
maybe needle nose pliers to pull it out??
Tried my slimmest.. no luck.
Same thing happened to me, If you look closely you will see the second cd when you hit the eject button, I used some tweezers and pushed it in the insert and kept trying to pull on it, it will scratch the cd but not your cd dash. It worked for me.:eek:
I may get my wife to try this as she was the perp.

Thanks to you both.

#19 ·
Go to radio shack and buy another set, they have soem really small ones.

#20 ·
Try using a credit card to slip it between the two cds and push the eject button. If you actually hear the mechanism trying to eject than you should have some luck. Be sure to have some tweezers handy to add in the extra tweaking. If not than replace it with OEM on Ebay. I would discard the comment to ignore it and use an mp3 adaptor. If you got a 04 745li, than that extra $400 is a good investment. Last thing you need is a flaw in your ASK control unit. Do what you gotta do, but get it done.

J//

#22 · (Edited)
Seems this double insertion is quite easy to do, as many have found. In our case, the volume was very low. One friend, a longtime 'car guy' who is a manager at the largest BMW dealer in the western US; drives a 650 convertible did the same thing.

I have some very small tweezers, in addition to a selection of needle nose pliers. I even have a CC or two to try the home-brewed alternatives suggested here.

I play mp3s via hard disk in my Vette and via iPod in a Smart Cabrio; neither being anything like adequate listening environments. I have zero interest in that medium in the 745Li with the decent Logic 7 system and quieter interior, given the widely varying volume levels, hence irritating, music delivery. The only upside is being commercial-free.

#23 ·
okay... since you're pretty much hosed anyway... try this:

unfurl a large paperclip, and fashion a hook out of one end. Lead the paperclip hook into the slot and aim for the spindle hole of the mis-inserted disc. Try and "fish" it out.

I dunno... couldn't hoit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.