BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear Entertainment Retrofit

75K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  vibbelito 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone has done this before so thought I'd share.

I have decided to retrofit my vehicle with the OEM rear entertainment system.

I recently retrofitted the OEM DVD changer, ever since my eldest daughter has been complaining she cant see the screen from the back!

Personally I dont like fitting aftermarket equipment so here I am retrofitting the rear entertainment system.

I already have rear comfort seats so the arm rest is there just missing the controller! :D

I purchased the screen and control unit from ebay for £150

The controller I bought separately for £80

This is the screen fitted:

Right now the fun part! My rear armrest does not have the provision for the rear idrive controller:

The dealer wanted £220 for the trim with the hole for the controller! :yikes:

I'm not made of money so decided to have a go at modifying the wood trim myself!

I bolted the rear armrest to a thick piece of aluminium using M5 stand-offs, the holes in the armrest casting had to be drilled to 4.5mm and taped to M5:

I then bolted the assembly to a milling machine and placed the rear controller stencil a colleague at work kindly made for me! :)

I then cut the arm rest trim to the stencil using 10mm slot cutter:

A little finishing off with a small file and the rear controller now fits the original trim:

Bear in mind this is wood veneer bonded to an aluminium casting, I found it best to carefully cut the wood veneer first to avoid cracking and chipping before going round a second time to cut the aluminium.

I have bought the new video module for rear entertainment, hopefully that will arrive next week. I do have a genuine hybrid Digital tv module for sale at the moment on ebay £390 this receives all UK freeview channels, the only reason for sale is its not compatible with the rear entertainment system due to some major wiring differences.

I will update shortly with wiring and fibre optic routing for the rear control module.

Stuart

See less See more
#81 ·
DVD Changer to Video Module wiring

Hello everyone, I need some help on figuring out what type of wiring is needed to wire the DVD Changer to the Video Module. On WDS it says it uses a W9110.1 wire and a black wire, but can someone tell me what type of wire is a W9110.1.

I have everything wired up and running but im getting a dim, wavy and scrolling picture and it will only play on the front screen. I hope im describing everything correctly. thank for the help in advance.

#82 ·
I purchased the DVD Changer retrofit kit in 2011. The wire is nothing more than a coax video cable to support composite video - aka FBAS. I'm not sure if it's 50 or 75 ohm impedance, though I might be able to look it up later in the week.

#87 ·
Hey guys,

I have FL E65 with TV module.
I would like to install rear monitor with rear controller what exactly I need? I don't have DVD player now and I do not need it, is it required for rear monitor system?
Also there is already TV module in the trunk for front MMI, do I need another TV module for rear monitor?

#88 ·
Hey guys,

I have FL E65 with TV module.

I would like to install rear monitor with rear controller what exactly I need? I don't have DVD player now and I do not need it, is it required for rear monitor system?

Also there is already TV module in the trunk for front MMI, do I need another TV module for rear monitor?
Bare minimum is the MMIF (rear idrive computer), CDF (rear 6.5" screen) and rear idrive controller.

Then you need a new video module that supports both front and rear monitor if you want to be able to use navigation menu, assist menu or TV or DVD.
And then you need a DVD changer if you want to be able to watch DVD's.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.