BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just installed after-market touchscreen Navigation/Stereo/dvd unit!

95K views 274 replies 67 participants last post by  musa 
#1 · (Edited)
I just completed installing Eonon D5124F 7inch digital touch screen car DVD player/Stereo with built-in GPS.
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/BMW/D5124F.html

It's a great replacement for my ancient cassette player/radio/cd player riddled with missing pixels on my 1997 528 with non-dsp audio! It's very OEM looking and the stereo output is incredible. The button lights perfectly match the rest of the dash lights. The system is compatible with the steering wheel controls and works great. It boots up with BMW logo and everything just works - GPS, Ipod/Iphone interface (charges my Iphon4 and plays music on it), Radio with RDS, SD memory card (my entire music collection is now in 16gb SD card), USB, blue tooth and auto backup camera. The dvd plays movies even when the car is on the move! The install was plug and play and no coding required.

My car is now transformed into an entertainment center and I now enjoy driving much, much more than ever before. At $410 (player +backup camera) + 2 years warranty, it was a no brainer to go for the unit. The customer support from Eonon was awesome and all my installation queries and jams were cleared. The shipment was very fast - from HongKong- arriving at my door in 7 days. I was told by eonon the 2 years warranty does not apply for purchases from the ebay resellers, so I skipped them.

My audio system has the factory amplifier, Blaupunkt Blue Magic XLf 200 Subwoofer System (in the armrest)), Boston Acoustics SC50speakers in the front and Infinity reference component speakers at the rear. The eonon D5124 powers so well through this setup. The output is clean with tight, thumping bass. I'm a very happy man and with a smile on my face while driving my 528. I'm keeping this car for the next 20 years!

Some pics:
Before and after:

Attachments

See less See more
#144 ·
I was going in on this but the more I read about it (not just on this forum) but on other makes and models, and there seems to be a general consensus that their products have issues. I am sure there are some folks there that have working units but for me i'd rather stay with my non oem looking head unit that works all the time 24/7 vs something that may not work a few months later. Or something that has "quirks". IF this product was $200 I would probably risk it but a $400 paperweight is a hard pill to swallow for me.

#151 · (Edited)
Frankly quite simplistic. I think what you're saying is akin to someone reading about BMWs in the numerous BMW forums and going, "gee, the more I read about these cars, there appears to be a general consensus these cars have numerous issues and the dealerships are lousy too- I better stay away from these cars".

Consider the flip side which essentially this thread is about.

#145 ·
Are there any instructions for the DIYer? I'd like to pick one up.

#146 ·
Hi

Joeyvaz - 'Hopefully' your unit will be one of the fully working ones and stays working longer term - keep your fingers crossed ! Depending which amps and speakers you go for, the resulting sound will be better than oem for sure, but not as good as if you had a premium brand head unit as their electronics and circuitry etc are all of higher grade and quality.

Teklord - I agree with you ! The 'ONLY' good aspect of the eonon is that it's the cloest to oem looking of the chinese head units out there. Everything else about them is low quality/grade which massively increases the risk of anyone who purchases being disappointed.

Seemyad - doesn't look like there's a group buy happening currently, if you look at the last big thread about it, you can see perhaps why!

Tour - Have a look through the threads where owners have purchased this head unit and their installation feedback, been mentioned many many times. It also depends on what your car's oem setup is and you might have to run new power/gnd/switched 12V and antenna leads/extensions. If you aren't so knowledgeable, I HIGHLY suggest you ask a local reputable installer to get those into the car. There's also not very many pro installers who wish to install these Chinese head units due to the fact the risk of something being wrong with them later down the line is high, and customers tend to complain and blame the installer etc. It's happened many times in the past and there's just no confidence in these sorts of products from pro installers for the most part. If you do find one, it's likely they'll request you contact the manufacturer for any issues later and not install until you've agreed to that in writing etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

#147 ·
I'm going with all JL equipment (components f/r and (2) 12" subs. With a JL 5 channel amp. So it's safe to say it will sound better than oem. LOL I could have easily gone with a Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, etc but trying to stay with the OEM look was important. I'll take a little inferior sound of the Eonon (if that is even the case-does anyone know what DACs are used in this unit?) so long as it keeps working. If it fails, than I will deal with a return and drop in a premium radio. But for now, all is working as it should. Fingers are indeed crossed!!!

#148 ·
Well it looks like you have funds to take a gamble on the Eonon. I would have done the same if I had $400 and pray it will keep working but unfortunately that is not the case. Good luck to you and hope it works out.

I was wonder if anyone here can chime in on how long have they had the Eonon unit and if it still works fine?

#149 · (Edited)
A few individuals are relentlessly predicting doom at every report of an eonon or dynavin install in this forum and others :dunno:. Meanwhile we who actually have these units continue to enjoy and appreciate them even as bad luck is wished upon us :D. I can almost hear the naysayers as they gnashingly and furiously type away their lengthy comments using their Chinese made keyboard and computer :D.

#150 ·
I don't think anyone here is wishing the eonon buyers doom. If you have the cash and willing to do their R&D and beta testing then that's good. If you have one that works with no issue that is also great! I also have no problem buying cheap Chinese products and have bought some car audio stuff for my previous cars (Boss Audio, Pyle, etc) and they all were decent for the price you get. While their products are Chinese made (so are Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, etc) they have a US presence and I have a feeling materials, RD, and QA are probably more significant that Eonon. I wouldn't hesistate to buy those big brand names that are made in China (what stuff now isn't made in China?)..however, I try to stay away from brands that are native in China. With that said, again good luck with your Eonon. It looks really great and I think that is the primary reason for its appeal and the quality is secondary.

#152 · (Edited)
My eonon works great 24/7 and I'm keen to provide feedback for product improvement just as I do with my xboxone, windows phone, sony camera etc. which you refer to as "willing to do their R&D and beta testing". I support eonon as they're catering to the factory-look/specific-fit niche which is ignored by the premium brands whose releases are very generic- I think the specific-fit niche doesn't map to their business model.

For years I had been looking for a good factory-look replacement for the ancient and with missing pixels oem headunit of my beloved 528. "Native in China" brands finally answered that market segment need pretty well with their current releases. :thumbup:

#154 ·
Full system installed and sounding great. Now that I have amplified speakers, I can hear a bit of hiss coming from the head unit. It is more pronounced when using Bluetooth to stream music to the head unit. Other than that, sounds pretty darn good for such an inexpensive unit. I'm happy and satisfied with it thus far. The fact that it has a subwoofer control in the EQ is great too. That way I can dial up or down my subs depending on the music or mood. Keeping loudness set to off definitely produces better sound.

Hope this helps others considering this unit in a full blown system.

Merry Christmas!!!

#155 ·
Full system installed and sounding great. Now that I have amplified speakers, I can hear a bit of hiss coming from the head unit. It is more pronounced when using Bluetooth to stream music to the head unit. Other than that, sounds pretty darn good for such an inexpensive unit. I'm happy and satisfied with it thus far. The fact that it has a subwoofer control in the EQ is great too. That way I can dial up or down my subs depending on the music or mood. Keeping loudness set to off definitely produces better sound.

Hope this helps others considering this unit in a full blown system.

Merry Christmas!!!
Is your system DSP equipped and do you have any DIY tips for folks that have DSP units?

#157 ·
i just got my eonon head unit a few days back and I still am a little confused upon installation despite reading a good majority of these posts. What does the illumination wire need to be hooked up to in order to provide power when key hot? what did you ground the parking brake sensor to? will the mounting brackets of the unit work? and finally...

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Fordaud...388069573&sr=1-5&keywords=bmw+antenna+adapter

will the adapter in the link work for the radio antenna?

#158 ·
That adapter does work, however, the reception is not that good. It is what I am using until I find a better solution.

I hooked up the illumination wire to get power with the lights on, but I don't remember what color the wire was.

I simply grounded the park brake wire to the system ground.

The mounting bracket works, you just have to remove the radio cage.

#160 · (Edited)
Hi Musa,

As mentioned previously, you and the unit you got have a big green tick in that it's working and currently continues to work for you. There's also a number of other purchasers similar to you. You took the gamble and it paid off for you. However, many other's also took the gamble and weren't as lucky as you. They've experienced plenty of issues, problems from the outset and other's found glitches, problems etc later. Some even got unit's that didn't work out of the box. When they asked about support and getting resolutions etc then eonon were seen and considered by them as very slow, lethargic and very uninterested in helping them, to the extent, purchasers were being asked to 'try something' and report back to eonon if it worked or not. The prestige brands you mention, all conduct their own R&D prior to releasing a product and for the vast majority of the time, their products work out of the box, each time and every time later during the lifetime of the product. Where things do go wrong, there's a robust procedure in place for warranty/support/claims etc in place -Eonon don't offer anything remotely like that i.e there's no distribution channels as hardly any business has faith in the products - so that's not a fair comparison that you make.

If you look at Eonon and other similar chinese made units, all they are is their usual low end quality single DIN head units you see all over ebay etc but just have an E39 shaped/sized front bezel stuck to the front. There's nothing BMW specific about them electronically. For that 'E39 esque' faceplate, anyone considering purchasing pays another $200-300. The premium brands out there indeed tend not to release vehicle specific units as it reduces their market they can sell to. Some will make specific fascia's to match certain newer cars but the E39 has been superseded twice and went out of production in 2003. No premium brand will want to make specific products for a decade old out of production vehicle (I asked them all!!).

So, as above, your gamble worked out, there's many more for which it didn't. If you'd like to perhaps tell the many purchasers of the Eonon on the UK specific ********* ( Em three cutters) forum that the Eonon is recommended, I know you'd get a scathing response, littered with strong language and feelings of anger towards eonon. Just prior to them not being sponsors there, they ignored the requests and pleas by purchasers to help them and posted up about offering them all hoodies and T shirts instead!!

In short, Eonon provide extremely little to zero customer confidence. Those people who are currently buying their unit are doing so often after reading this and other threads from other purchasers and deciding to 'take the gamble' and it remains to be seen if they ultimately will respond like you do.. or not !

Cheers, Dennis!

#161 ·
Huzzah! Huzzah! Dennis is Spot On!

Eonon is trash, as Dennis stated whether in UK or Timbuktu. Customer Service is non-existent and quality is horrendous. Having said that the Dynavin Unit I swapped after a month of dealing with the terrible touch screen and non-functIonal features is a slightly improved version of the Eonon. It is also Chinese. It also has no Customer support, but owners have figured out how to make things work in their BMWs. I was playing with the USB wifi dongle until it disappeared under the dash on the Android unit. I can actually listen to music on the radio and use my Android phone for GPS with CoPilot that gives me directions over the Dynavin. Try that with a stock Eonon.

Dennis for PM! Knight him and grant him land in Scotland. Saint Andrew and Dennis will ban the Chinese international sales until they can prove their products work as advertised.

Happy New Year to All BMW Owners!

I am going to drink a Bass Pale Ale in our honor.

#162 ·
Hi DDutchman,

There's no need to knight me and I don't want land in Scotland ! If anything, I'm looking for property in the USA!

The Dynavin product in the USA does have excellent support, from Jeff at J&T Distributing and he's also got a new Android based E39 specific brand and head unit out ! have a look here;

http://www.jandtdistributing.com/co...avant-series-android-stereo-navigation-system

Support and warranty from a USA based seller which means a MUCH higher success and working unit rate compared to the gamble that is the eonon!

That said, in another thread, Eonon say they've moved to new premises and that we all won't believe the improvements they have planned. Hopefully, it won't take another 4 YEARS for them to actually release a consistently working product line ?!!

Cheers, Dennis!

#163 ·
Dennis,
So what do you think the difference is between dynavin and \\\avin? I'm assuming the similarity in naming is intentional?

#166 · (Edited)
I have first hand experience with this product and dealing with your company. I can tell you that, while we don't expect 100% perfection from the products, we do expect Eonon to provide some customer support to make up for the deficiencies of your products and that is where you are severely lacking.

It was very difficult to get a response in a timely manner. You NEVER responded to the support inquiries I submitted from your own website, and seeing from the comments on your Facebook page, this is typical. Also, your live support chat link never ever worked. Your website claims that all emails will be responded to within 24 hours was an outright lie and should be removed. I usually had to reply to the original order email, AND come on here to complain, AND go to your Facebook page just to get a response.

There were numerous delays, from all the holidays, to taking a long time to respond, to stalling by asking me to do not worry, be patient, give you the serial # numerous times, the original order number numerous times, trying things I'd already tried like re-booting the unit, making sure the wires were hooked up correctly, etc.

Speaking of one-sided, it is very dishonest of you to remove complaints and issues from your Facebook page, which happens quite often. How else are potential customers to know the overall feeling of your customers satisfaction or dis-satisfaction if you continue to distort it by deleting selected comments?

#170 ·
I have first hand experience with this product and dealing with your company. I can tell you that, while we don't expect 100% perfection from the products, we do expect Eonon to provide some customer support to make up for the deficiencies of your products and that is where you are severely lacking.

It was very difficult to get a response in a timely manner. You NEVER responded to the support inquiries I submitted from your own website, and seeing from the comments on your Facebook page, this is typical. Also, your live support chat link never ever worked. Your website claims that all emails will be responded to within 24 hours was an outright lie and should be removed. I usually had to reply to the original order email, AND come on here to complain, AND go to your Facebook page just to get a response.

There were numerous delays, from all the holidays, to taking a long time to respond, to stalling by asking me to do not worry, be patient, give you the serial # numerous times, the original order number numerous times, trying things I'd already tried like re-booting the unit, making sure the wires were hooked up correctly, etc.

Speaking of one-sided, it is very dishonest of you to remove complaints and issues from your Facebook page, which happens quite often. How else are potential customers to know the overall feeling of your customers satisfaction or dis-satisfaction if you continue to distort it by deleting selected comments?
Hi dusster, thanks for your comments. :)

First, about the late reply for the emails, we are so sorry about it. Since we're short-staffed recently, especially the Chinese New Year is coming. But please rest assured, things will be better after the new year. Your kind understanding and patience will be very thankful.

Second, you said that " live support chat link never ever worked", this is impossible! We have the chatting records for your reference:

So I think that when you contacted us via live chat, it was very unlucky that our customer services were not at their desks at that time, or it was not our working time.

Last, about the FB complaints, generally, we don't remove customers' comments. But if there are some exaggerated or bombing bad comments, we have the right to remove them. That's what FB allow us to do. BUT most important , after removing the message, meanwhile, we will contact the person and give him a solution. So hope you can understand!

Thanks again dusster for your detailed suggestions. Happy New Year! :bigpimp:

#173 · (Edited)
Hi Qui_Luv, thanks for your interest.
Generally, our D5124F fits BMW E39 1996-2003 / E53 2000-2007, if your car belongs to these models, then just plug&play.

But it does not support DSP system at present, whether your car has or not?
And if your car has the OEM navi, it's also easy to connect our D5124F unit to your car, just use our A0565 or A0564 extended extension wiring harness is OK :thumbup::

http://www.eonon.com/Others/Kits-and-Harness/A0565.html (for 40 pins)
http://www.eonon.com/Others/Kits-and-Harness/A0564.html (for 17 pins)

#175 ·
That's simply NOT TRUE! Your unit does not fit the E53 with our without the extra harness. To even put it in place you have to cut away s portion of the existing radio holding cage and there is no way to secure the unit to the dash.

Not to mention the unit being a piece of faulty crap. See all my pros posts for specifics

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app

#177 ·
So as not to be one sided

One of the advantages to buying from eBay and Amazon is the you can put in your exact brand/model/year/variation.

The Eonon D5124F drops right in to where the big screen bordmonitor was is my 2005 X5 E53 with navi and cd changer setup. Gotta be fair. The fact that all Eonon adverts in Fall 2013 were not understandable to standard English speakers as to whether the extended cable A0564/A0565 was a requirement for my situation and I could not understand the answers the vendor who is a front for Eonon gave me means that I had to order the cable and wait because their weekends are different and they are on the other side of the world and they have both Chinese and British Commonwealth bank holidays , I think and the factory was out of stock even though when I ordered the cable from Eonon's US website hoping they actually had a US warehouse the product was listed as in stock but it was not, and the factory workers in China might have been those committing suicide because of the horrid working conditions and terrible wages for which I have no proof I still had to wait several weeks for the actual cable during which time i put the system in the back and started asking questions for which there is NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT.

Here is something I never asked: why are the touch screen settings in Chinese? Why, when I reset the system it goes back to Cantonese? Or is it Mandarin? If it defaulted to German, Russian, Dutch, French, I could read it and Italian, Spanish, or maybe even Magyar I could make it out. Who is Eonon selling the D5124F? The Chinese used BMW market?

I had to chuckle when I saw a previous Post claiming Eonon markets to the specific model while the big radio makers are generic. If Eonon makes the D5124F for my car then why can't every Eonon rep tell every BMW owner what they need for THEIR BMW? I think I know why.

And for skptc they pain will remain.

#178 ·
Thank you for the comments Dutchmen, they were very helpful. I suppose I realized that it was a Chinese after market vendor when the ship from location specifically states "Hong Kong".

Just so I'm clear though, with the correct cables, the product does in fact work? And how would I, as a non-car tech speaking individual, know which cable to get?

#181 ·
After market

Not as advertised. I believe models after 2003 take the A0565 cable with flat pins.

Thank you for the comments Dutchmen, they were very helpful. I suppose I realized that it was a Chinese after market vendor when the ship from location specifically states "Hong Kong".

Just so I'm clear though, with the correct cables, the product does in fact work? And how would I, as a non-car tech speaking individual, know which cable to get?

#180 ·
There is a small gap at the bottom of the enclosure. It is rather small and since it is at the bottom you will never see it unless you often lay down on your gear shift. This is a least in the 5 series. I have no experience in the X5.

I do have my own question after getting the unit to work enough for myself. I still cannot fathom how to save preset fm and am stations. I try holding the button down like you would expect but no luck. Any ideas?