BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

EONON D5124FU DOES NOT WORK NOR FIT in my 04 X5 with DSP

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pml06x5 
#1 · (Edited)
I have several other posts on this subject. This one is meant to document why, in spite of EONON's ad claiming it to be "20 minute diy that will save you money because you do not need professional installation"

On the seller

1. In spite of their eBay listing saying the item was in stock, I got a private message saying it was out. Took them almost 2 weeks to ship although my PayPal was immediately charged and the item marked as shipped.

2. Throughout this entire ordeal they never had a single helpful or prompt contribution

3. Promised to send me a replacement harness two weeks ago, have not shipped it yet.

On the unit

1. Packaging is unlabeled, there are no instructions whatsoever.

2. THE UNIT SIMPLY DOES NOT FIT. Although the overall outside dimensions are ok, it does not account for the header on the factory radio cage. Only way to make it fit is to literally hack off a portion of it. I saw other posts claiming the cage can be removed but at least in my car there's no way to do that without disassembling most of the dash. ( I think those references are for the e39)

3. The harnesses provided are ill fitting and fragile, connections to the filter and fuse just came off.

4. The unit does not interface with the factory amp or the onboard computer.

To preserve access to the computer functions you need to keep your car's MID which means relocating it to the glove box which in turn means extending the factory harness because it is not long enough.

The amp work around is to relocate it to the trunk and keep it connected to the amp (see related posts)

5. According to other posts on this board some who have successfully installed this unit experience poor reception and or sound

In spite of all this i was still willing to give it a go but the unit just will not even turn on. My first suspicion was a defective harness but given their failure to send me a replacement I'm assuming they will be just as unresponsive if it turns out to be the unit itself.

So I give up, I'm putting humpty dumpty back together and initiating a complaint on eBay

At a minimum they owe all their customers specially this board for the free R&D, not to mention false advertising

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No, radio was in dash in top of MID

I have since had three faulty eonon harness replaced and was able to turn on the eonon unit but still no sound even with the factory radio connected in the back per Ryan's connections recommendations.

So I'm still at an impasse and finding bugs with the unit itself like the clock losing 7 hours anytime I turn the car off longer than a couple of hours.

Hoping Ryan can shed some light on this when he gets back

#4 ·
A0565 in, but....

I am glad I do not have to share your exact pain, but I had to run an extension cable from the back. Problem is the harness does not contain antenna wire or video for the back up camera, not to mention power for same. Sure, I can splice the camera power in the back, but why doesn't the harness they had to build after I ordered it have the cables required for the system. I pulled a bunch more along with.

While fiddling with settings the GPS disappeared, and the clock changed times and format. I use 24 hour clocks. Finally I did a reset. Of course it all comes back up in Chinese. But I was proud the mother of my children sent me an email begging me to turn down ZZ Top, and I was at the workshop over 400 meters away.

It would be nice if the damn thing was not so buggy. I have to use my fingernails to change settings. A finger is too big and something else gets the attention.

Keep at it. At least we can learn and share.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok... so... finally here's what I've done... found a local auto audio expert (let me know if anyone in socal is in dire need of help. this guy know his ****, is familiar with the x5 and has now dealt with at least one infamous eonon unit)

Bypassed factory radio and amp. replaced with an Alpine Amp that fits neatly into the driver's side area where the factory amp is located.

Rewired factory subwoofer to new amp.

After first test drive:

Eonon tuner is crap, getting static on stations the 10 year old factory radio got loud and clear

Software is buggy. for instance

Radio won't shut up or mute when using Navi to navigate, consequently you get whatever station you were listening to (static and all) plus this ghost voiceover telling you're going over the speed limit which is a least disconcerting in the middle of the final movement to Beethoven 9th...

Every time I turn the car off unit's clock resets to 16 hours ahead... yes. 16!!!!! f'ng hours which by the way seems to be the same back to the future time zone the navigation software is on

Once in navigation display 80% of the time unit will not switch to any other mode unless you reboot (i.e. turn off and on which of course resets the f'ng clock back to the future).. the other 20% of the time it switches but then it will not go back to navigation.

In physical terms the unit is not even close to a good fit. although it's outer dimensions work with the opening you need to hack off part of the existing plastic radio support frame and there is simply no way to screw the unit in place (mine is zip tied to the under dash cross bar just below and back of the air vents)

In conclusion

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM EONON... JUST NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE AND EFFORT... BY THE WAY, EONON APPARENTLY EXISTS IN MANY FORMS ON EBAY UNDER DIFFERENT VENDOR NAMES AND PRICES, CHECK THE UNIT SPECS BEFORE BUYING... THIS HAS COST ME TWICE AS MUCH TO DEAL WITH AS I PAID FOR THE UNIT NOT TO MENTION DOWNTIME AND MYTIME

#6 · (Edited)
Hi, Skptc, firstly, so sorry for all the issues you've met. If your unit is really faulty, contact the CS, they will arrange a return for you. No worry. ;)

However, please try to follow the methods below before returning. Most of the time, you don't need to send the item back by fixing some easy problems yourself.

First, about the "Radio won't shut up or mute when using Navi to navigate",
- It is NOT a faulty. The unit is designed in this way. So the customers could listen to the radio at the same time, will not miss the tips of the navigation. We made it according to the feedback of most of our customer. However, one man's meat is another man's poison. It is hard to meet all the demands. :D

Second, about the time, you just don't need to choose the "Synchronized with GPS time" when setting the system's time, then the problem solved!

Third, about the GPS issue, you can reset the unit or reset the GPS path for checking:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/61q3h8
And please note that if the unit has run too much software at the same time, this issue will be appeared, so please do not run too much software at the same time.

And about the DSP, D5124F could NOT compatible with the DSP system right at the moment, please kindly note. Eonon did not know this before, but as soon as we get the DSP case, they've giving the notice on the product pages. If you contact them within 7 days, it is OK to return the unit for free according the policy.

I've notice your case for some time, and seeing you're positively modifying the product to make it work with your car, by discussing with other members, so I thought you're OK with the unit. Plus, I can't find any purchasing record of you, I guess you bought this from eBay and asking help from them, so I didn't show up.

Anyway, If you have questions, you can also contact me, but the words you've said is kinda exaggerative. I feel sorry for your experience. But I see Musa & Woomaster & scott740il and most of the members here are enjoying the unit. So maybe there's a misunderstanding?

Here is an unboxing posted lately on the website from one of our customer, packaging is in good condition and instruction is also including: :)

#8 ·
Speaking of Quoting Woomaster, et al

I recommend anyone who reads this post to read all of Woomaster's on the thread

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Site Sponsors & Bimmerfest Group Buys Group Buy for Eonon D5124F BMW E39/E53 Car GPS with BMW Special UI & Dual Can Bus

Please tell me if "Woomaster & scott740il and most of the members here are enjoying the unit" is an accurate observation.

#7 ·
Are Most Satisfied with the D5124F

Not I. It is true much of my dissatisfaction is due to lack of Eonon support for the D5124F.

Here is a question: how does unpackaging an M2 unit in another country have anything to do with a D5124F that comes in a plain white box and no serial number from a Hong Kong vendor that Eonon representatives have told me in writing is part of Eonon?

My D5124F fit perfectly. That is because I can find a chart on eBay that says what exact models fit. There is more protection buying from eBay using PayPal than buying from the Eonon website. Having said such, if anyone out there would like my slightly used D5124F with the A0565 harness in a Dynavin box I will make you a great deal.

At least the touch screen in the Dynavin should work better and the documentation certainly is. Too bad the harness connectors are different or I would have left the A0565 harness in place after I pulled it.

To be completely fair, the Dynavin 39A comes in a box virtually identical to the D5124F. The manual has better English with the Dynavin but component quality is similar. In fact, it would not surprise me to learn both are manufactured in the same factories. The Dynavin does have a serial number.

Dynavin specifically states their unit is not compatible with DSP. Many still use it by using aftermarket parts. Not a problem I have.

Another question: how is not synchronizing the clock with GPS the solution to clock time problems? That presupposes synchronizing with GPS is something people would want to change their system time to some bizarre time zone. Does the time synchronize to GMT? or maybe to factory time in China.

If I cannot hear the vocal directions with verbal directions turned on it is a design flaw. Tell me where I can find one person who prefers not being able to hear directions. If music will mute when the phone rings then so should it when the guide voice speaks.

Problems crop up when too many applications run at the same time? Why should I have to worry that will happen? Why not program the unit so it does not? I should be able to drive down the road and expect the unit to function reliably with every feature installed. To market the unit with multitudinous features that will not work together so I have to pull over is a significant safety issue. The GPS screen disappears when some other functions are active. Let me think: I need a GPS to show me and tell me where to go. I like listening to music or advice on how to fix my car by those two great brothers. I NEED the GPS. I want the radio. How do I get the GPS screen back?

All X5s have complex antenna systems. The FM antenna is no exception. Reception using the D5124F is poor. Telecommunications experts know why that is. I do not know how to change the preset stations and store local ones. Another poorly documented feature in the Eonon. If other models have better directions I will go find them. I should not have to. We paid around $400 for the units alone. That might be 30-40% less than a Windows CE Dynavin, but it is 400% more than what I can go to the local store, add a $10 mount and some connectors and get the same capabilities. Many have also done that.

I have mentioned on other posts that user expectations would be better met by having a legitimate, intelligible support mechanism. If any of the belated explanations by EononDVD, et al, apply, this is a limited audience. How many potential customers are driven away when their due diligence shows empty or circular generic links on the Eonon website? Speaking of due diligence, American customers have rights other nations may not provide. For instance, when I lived in The Netherlands and bought something in the store the store was under no obligation to offer any guarantee or process any manufacturer warranty.

Telling the user to turn off features that are advertised on the Eonon website and other vendors who sell Eonon products, all of whom use THE EXACT SAME ADVERTISEMENT, probably constitutes false advertising and tells me that they are most likely branches of Eonon. The practice of flooding the internet with vendors that are fronts for one company and their products is not limited to Eonon. it would be nice if eBay and other sites banned the practice. It would make finding and buying what I am after at the best price it would be nice. Not going to happen. Caveat emptor applies in this case.

Dynavin UK has a list of professional installers. They may be trained and "certified". Where can I find a professional, factory trained and "certified" installer of the Eonon D5124F in the US?

#9 ·
d5124fu

After the purchase of this unit found it to be as described below didn't fit right had to cut out top of cage now it has very bad antenna connection all static on most stations and wont play radio while in navigation sometimes. I'm going to get a better system eventually but itl have to do for now. I do have one question. If I were to install the OEM bass box in the rear will this run the bass as it should. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.