BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2005 X3 - Any big issues to look out for?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  enamoured 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New to BMW, my wife and I will soon be done with grad school and moving to Chicago. We've been looking for a 2005 X3, 50-60K miles, but still pretty new to the car - any big issues I should be looking out for? I've gone through several threads, and a red flag is the stiff ride, especially on Chicago's poorly maintained roads.

Any other tips/advice is appreciated! TIA

#2 ·
check under the floor mats for water leaks. I had rubber mats so it took me a while to find out. I think mine was aleaky vapor barrier for the door.

My 05 also had a problem with the keyless entry not working in Boston - too much interference. This is a common problem on early 05 models (since you are in Chicago, problem have the same issue) - there is a service bulletin to fix the issue - which was done for me under warranty

#5 ·
Cool. I need that fix. Keyless wouldn't work for me in Portland, OR, near some radio towers.

#3 ·
Have a dealer run the VIN number for past service history.

The other thing I see is what codog mentioned which can be from roof or door leaks.

Car wash or high pressure wash may help show that.

#4 ·
I drive a 2005 X3. The issues so far, sunroof shade got stuck once, replaced under warranty, passenger seat recall due to problems with passenger detection and airbag module, driver seat leatherette deformation which is found to be common in extreme cold weather locations and was replaced under warranty. Other than that if you drive the car coming down to flat road from an incline and it tends to hold the lower gear for a tad longer, there is a s/w patch for that which does work. Overall 2005/2006 are the best years for an X3. Good luck with your purchase.

#8 ·
I drive a 2005 X3. The issues so far, sunroof shade got stuck once, replaced under warranty, passenger seat recall due to problems with passenger detection and airbag module, driver seat leatherette deformation which is found to be common in extreme cold weather locations and was replaced under warranty. Other than that if you drive the car coming down to flat road from an incline and it tends to hold the lower gear for a tad longer, there is a s/w patch for that which does work. Overall 2005/2006 are the best years for an X3. Good luck with your purchase.
I just got one with very low miles and full warranty until 9/2012. Just curious why the 05/06 is the better years for the X3. Thanks in advance.:)

#6 ·
Sit in the driver seat with the heater on high for 10 minutes and then check for hot spots in the seat. Signs of future failure in the heating pad. Very expensive to fix - unless you can live without heated seats. I have heater steering, and will always have it.
Have the suspension springs checked for broken ends. Frequent problem. It cost me $360 to have a rear spring replaced. It had a 2" piece broken off from one end, and I didn't have any indication that it had occurred. Dealer said it was a stablity issue if not fixed.
When were the brakes done? It's about $500 an axle to have it done. Consider this in your potential future cost expectations. Also, at 60K mileage, it's time for the super duper service requirement. I hear its close to $750.
I have an 05 X3, with 44K on it. Fun to drive. Stiffness in suspension could be tires. My replacement tires were Bridgestone Turenza Serenity and I like the ride better then the OEM tires.

#7 ·
Hi all,

New to BMW, my wife and I will soon be done with grad school and moving to Chicago. We've been looking for a 2005 X3, 50-60K miles, but still pretty new to the car - any big issues I should be looking out for? I've gone through several threads, and a red flag is the stiff ride, especially on Chicago's poorly maintained roads.

Any other tips/advice is appreciated! TIA
Since sunroof and door leaks seem to be on people's minds, I would get a big flashlight and check the bolts under the seats. With extreme leaking, people say they rust.

:)

I would find a decently maintained road and drive it a few times in your own car, try the X3 and then try (if you are at a dealer) a 328 which is what it is based on. I would then go to a Lexus dealership and try an RX which probably has the most marshmallow ride of the bunch. If you can't tell the difference when driving the same road in a number of different cars then maybe it doesn't matter to you or maybe you even prefer a harsh ride....some do...you never know.

I do think that more passengers in the car makes the car less bouncy so I would drive it alone if possible.

Good luck. CPO?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.