BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

may possibly be buying a 95 525i? 260K

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  robertobaggio20 
#1 ·
She didn't run on her own, battery may need a good chargeing, i believe these cars need a 12v to charge the battery? or trigger the v-reg correctly?

anyway, never owned a bmw..

a friend says it has a manu matic? or automatic and manual.. but that the manual has never been used?

kinda hard to believe... he tells me not to use it..

the car has sat for a bit..normally 5-6 months alot of things go wrong...

not to use stering fluid in the power steering?

what are some noob things NOT to do to this gem? always wanted a 95 300-500 series..

Is it worth buying or is this gonna be a money pit?

It's meant more to be a car for my dad.. but right now my talon is outa comission.. it's timeing belt slipped =/ I'd really like to put gears and chain on it, but don't know about compatable parts.. soo while i fix that, we need another car.

so we are hopeing it will be a good car all around. regardless of a little fix up.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is either a manual or automatic, not sure what your friend means by manu-matic. You also use ATF in the power steering reservoir, not actual p/s fluid.
I tend to stay away from cars that have sat for a while- lots of things go wrong. Rusted fuel and brake lines, battery will need replacing, rubber parts start to get brittle and hard, all fluids flushed and replaced, etc. A lot of this also depends on where you ate located, and where the car was stored.
It will be a lot of work just for a temporary car while your talon is being fixed in the meantime. I would go with a simple car like a civic or similar that can be had for cheap.

Sent from my ADR6300 using BimmerApp

#3 · (Edited)
Is it worth buying or is this gonna be a money pit?
Go with your instincts on this. Ignore your desires.

Another option would be to pay the owner $100 for a week's worth of ownership of the car. He shouldn't mind as he's not using it. You cover the gas and anything else that you choose to do to the car by way of repairs, fluids etc and you are liable for accidental or negligent damage. Make an inventory list of the visible problems with the car.

See how it behaves and get it checked out thoroughly in that week. If you decide to keep it, get the owner to deduct $100 from the selling price. Of course, agree what this should be before you take the car. Thereafter, if you find that there are expensive repairs needed, you can always knock down the selling price later (if its still worth keeping, we can help you decide that) and cancel the deal if the owner refuses. $100 is fair. Do not go for a higher figure, as you would likely spend a little money on changing fluids etc which the car will keep...you're not trying to get a rental on the cheap and the owner should have the decency to see that, and if he doesn't then you can assume that the car is as crap as he is...

Again, go with your instincts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.