BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New and need your help!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  madurodave 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I drive an Audi A4 and im looking to sell it to get an 2006-2007 x3.
The mileage im looking for is anywhere less than 70,000.
I was wondering what are some things to look for before i buy the car.
as in what should i look out for or ask the person so i don't have any problems later on with the car.

Appreciate your time guys, thank you!

#2 ·
Read the autotrans sticky and then go for the 06.

Ask about oil changes and transfer case, sunroof issues, leaking water into footwell, broken shock mounts.

#4 ·
Look at the very first post in the X3 forum. MANY 07 auto transmissions and some 08s have significant potentially dangerous transmission issues.

#5 · (Edited)
Its the "sticky" at the top of the page on this X3 forum. It is really long, so that gives you an idea of the problems that have not been resolved -- or have been -- with the '07's on. BMW did not cover themselves with shining glory here IMHO. Also along with KJ's list add an inspection of the springs (some tend to break the pigtails off the bottom) and struts, along with the mentioned leak look. The cooling system (expansion tank/thermostat/radiator) may also need attention soon. A good '06 can be had for about $12K or a bit more. Plan on about $4 - 6K to take care of all the little things, and one or two of the big things and you are up close to $20K -- you might want to consider looking at a brand new something for that! A new Focus ST is not too far from that and if you can handle a stick shift is supposed to be a little rocket ship. Just a thought.:angel: You will miss your A4 BTW, my wife loves hers and can't wait to get another one. She also hates the ride on rough roads in my X3 and never misses a chance to tell me how stupid I was to pay so much for a car that rides worse than a farm truck.:eeps:

#6 ·
I actually think one should be wary of getting an X3 with more than 50k on it. Up to that point even if the maintenance has been spotty you can give it a good service and be pretty much okay. But, if it has maybe 70-100k and no fluid changes then you might be in the range of major trouble around the corner.

#11 ·
I am partial to the 2007 and newer myself, since I have a 2007. Very reliable, have over 127k miles now.

I would recommend driving both years and judge for yourself.

The are complaints and accolades for both years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.