BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Bluetooth Compatible phones; What WORKS?

1M views 1K replies 888 participants last post by  efanton1 
#1 ·
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, "Bluetooth" is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience: :thumbup:
----------------------------------------------
Phone model:
Car model:
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: bluetooth compatibility

Phone model: HP iPaq H6315 Pocket PC Phone Edition (PDA/phone)
Car model: 2005 545i
[x] ability to make/receive calls

I have found another glitch. My PDA unfortunately goes into a suspend mode when not in use, to save battery power. When it suspends, everything shuts off except for the cellular phone connection. That means bluetooth shuts off when the phone is not in use. So when an incoming call rings in, the car will not be linked with the phone until the PDA has time to load the bluetooth. This means, the phone will ring a few times before bluetooth can connect..... and you will most likely miss the call while waiting for the pairing to complete.

ANNOYING. :mad:

#4 ·
04/2000 540 and SE T637

:thumbup:
Phone model: Sony Ericsson T637
Car model: 04/2000 540iA + BMW ULF 84216950089
[X] ability to make/receive calls
[X] phone book automatically synches to car
[X] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (using adddress book)
[X] ability to send/receive SMS

#5 ·
I bought a Motorola V600 just so I could use it in my new 6er, I sure hope I'm not disappointed!
I'll keep you posted.

#882 ·
T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t will NOT work with BMW Bluetooth.

I just returned home with one of these BlackBerries, and it will pair up.... but fails to allow connection. I tried making and receiving calls, it will not work at all.
I have a Blackberry 8300 Gray from AT&T and it pairs perfectly wit my 05 545i and no problems with phone books or making or receiving calls.

#10 ·
If you part take in the on-demand world, the Razr V3 is the way to go. It's a multimedia Bluetooth command center, the size of a credit card. It integrates flawlessly with most any Bluetooth device, your car, PDA, Laptop, Desktop, et al. With a simple module, you can virtually set the security system, and view the security cameras in your home from an island off the coast of Spain, several thousand miles from home...in real time.

#12 ·
Got mine a week ago. Wait 'till you spend some time getting to know it, that thing Rocks!
btb, passed thru Winter Park last week on my way to dinner in Winter Springs...very nice area! Reminds me a lot of SoCal.
If you like Chinese food, there's a place called 3-6-9 at Red Bug and Tuskawilla... :thumbup:

#13 ·
My Sprint Treo 650 does not work with my '05 545i. The address book doesn't interface. The handsfree aspect of it only works when you initiate a call or answer a call directly from the phone. I don't know if BMW needs to come out with a new software update and/or Palm needs to do a firmware update for the phone. The Treo 650 is an exellent device and I'm confident that resolution will come about soon. I'll keep you posted.

#483 ·
My Sprint Treo 650 does not work with my '05 545i. The address book doesn't interface. The hands-free aspect of it only works when you initiate a call or answer a call directly from the phone. I don't know if BMW needs to come out with a new software update and/or Palm needs to do a firmware update for the phone. The Treo 650 is an excellent device and I'm confident that resolution will come about soon. I'll keep you posted.
I have a treo 650 (sprint with latest update - I think it is v1.13) that works well but doesn't sync with the 650 phone book - I have over 2k contacts - It does sync with the speed dials though.

I also have a Motorola that syncs with the entire phone book.

My bluetooth mod is the bt9000

#15 ·
As far as I know, BMW's Bluetooth software only supports primary stand-alone cellular devices. I've yet to hear of any Bluetooth device, incorporating cellular capability, being compatible with BMW's Bluetooth software, PDA's, BlackBerry, etc.

#16 ·
Bluetooth on 2004 530i

jfai said:

A friend of mine is very disappointed b/c he bought a 2004 530i and was told bluetooth would be available and up to date they keep telling him that it is in the works. I was wondering if your BMW came with bluetooth or if you had something done afterwards to have it installed. . This is the only complaint he has had as of yet from his bimmer . Thank you.

#17 ·
yamilrx said:
A friend of mine is very disappointed b/c he bought a 2004 530i and was told bluetooth would be available and up to date they keep telling him that it is in the works. I was wondering if your BMW came with bluetooth or if you had something done afterwards to have it installed. . This is the only complaint he has had as of yet from his bimmer . Thank you.
I bought the ULF from advancedautovations and installed it myself. I also bought upgrades to the navigation computer and the display from Martin Bishop. Martin also sells Bluetooth modules. In my opinion, he provides excellent customer service. I'm very happy with the upgrades and installation is easy.

#18 ·
TO: SubterFuse, and other Pocket PC Phone users.
RE: IPAQ 6315 PPC..

If the PPC to a Travel Adapter for continuous power, will the phone go into suspend mode or will BT pairing remain active?? :dunno:

Thanks

subterFUSE said:
Phone model: HP iPaq H6315 Pocket PC Phone Edition (PDA/phone)
Car model: 2005 545i
[x] ability to make/receive calls

I have found another glitch. My PDA unfortunately goes into a suspend mode when not in use, to save battery power. When it suspends, everything shuts off except for the cellular phone connection. That means bluetooth shuts off when the phone is not in use. So when an incoming call rings in, the car will not be linked with the phone until the PDA has time to load the bluetooth. This means, the phone will ring a few times before bluetooth can connect..... and you will most likely miss the call while waiting for the pairing to complete.

ANNOYING. :mad:

#533 ·
HP 6915 - about 2-3 generations past the 6315

The HP 6915 works very well. There are no problems with it going to sleep or not answering. It would be hard to imagine any phone or PPC working better with BMW bluetooth than the HP 6915. I dont own HP shares.

#20 ·
Motorola V551

subterFUSE said:
This was something I considered myself.

The theory is.... if you maintain the power on the iPaq, like when its in a cradle.... then the bluetooth drivers will remain active.

Unfortunately, the bluetooth drivers on the iPaq are so poor, that this is not the only problem. The drivers will only connect successfully to the BMW once, and then you'll have to soft reset. Keeping the power alive will NOT solve the iPaq problems.

I have sidelined my iPaq because it would not work with my BMW. I now have a Motorola RAZR. It works great.

In fact, I only have one complaint about the Motorola. When I use the car to call someone, and they do not pick up.... the car hangs up before the voicemail comes on for you to leave a message. I don't know why.
How about the Motorola V551? received a totally compatible rating for bluetooth

#21 ·
jfai said:

T637 seems to be the most friendly Bluetooth phone on the market today.

#22 ·

Hi,
I have got the BMW telephone (it is BMW not nokia or motoroal, I guess it is called business) and it is wireless. Can I assume it is bluetooth? And if yes how would I pair another bluetooth phone? I tried as one of the threads mentioned pressing the R/T button on the steering wheel but no effect.

Can anyone help?

My car is 530iA 2003 (October production)

#23 ·
An '03 530 does not have bluetooth capability.
If your phone is the one you got with the vehicle, and says BMW on the face/display, it is a Motorola, probably a v60, which is not a bluetooth phone either.
If you remove the battery, the inside label will identify the phone manufacturer/model for you.

#24 ·
Blax said:
T637 seems to be the most friendly Bluetooth phone on the market today.
I second the T637. I have an ATT model, and it is great.

My only beef is that the same soft button used to hang up is also the Mmode button. So if you have the habit of hanging up by hitting the button two or three times, you'll often wind up connecting to the web whenever you hang up after a call.

SE seems to have a more energy efficient BT system. I still have to charge nightly, but it seems a lot better than my Moto V600.

#25 ·
Se 910i

breytonX5 said:
My SE P910 works (only partially) with BMW bluetooth. It pairs up quite easily but phone book won't auto transfer. So the new P910 now supports handsfree protocol.
Can you tell me how you send/receive calls, i was be able to send from my SE910i sometime, sometime it did not work, i did not know what seems to be a problems, i don't need to transfer the phone book, all i need is send/received call.

I got 05 545i, i think it was same as in 05 X5 system. Thanks in advance.

#26 ·
Those of you that have the RAZR, who is your provider? Are you happy with the coverage in your area?

I've found verizon's coverage to be quite good but I'm thinking seriously of dumping them to pick up a RAZR.

#27 ·
Motorola V551

I purchased the Motorola V551 for my 05' 545i to compliment the BMW BLUETOOTH and it works perfectly in my vehicle. All functions work as they should and I enjoy this option with its clarity. So how does one wire the navigation dvd system to play normal dvds since I see the option in the i-drive entertainment mode?