BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPod in X3 (BMW Business CD)

16K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MaxxedOutMotors 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2005 X3, with the BMW Business CD and factory CD changer in the center arm rest (No DSP, No Navigation), and would like to find out the following regarding the IceLink V2:
1) Do the BMW Business CD support TEXT?
2) Does the IceLink allow the Song info on the iPod to be displayed on the head unit?
3) My music on the iPod are AAC, not MP3, will it display the song info on the head unit as well?

Thanks.

#2 ·
simoncpw said:
Hi all,

I have a 2005 X3, with the BMW Business CD and factory CD changer in the center arm rest (No DSP, No Navigation), and would like to find out the following regarding the IceLink V2:
2) Does the IceLink allow the Song info on the iPod to be displayed on the head unit?
3) My music on the iPod are AAC, not MP3, will it display the song info on the head unit as well?

Thanks.
1) Yes, if you consider text to be "Track 01, Track 02"
2) The ice>Link Plus will display Artist and Song Title info on the Business CD, along with Menu functions.
3) As long as your AAC files have ID3 text (if the name is displayed on your iPod while playing) it will appear on the BMW's radio as well.

#3 · (Edited)
simoncpw said:
Hi all,

Thanks.
First off, you can not retain the changer and add any type of Ipod integration. Tom should have known that. Second, how large is your Ipod, how many songs are loaded on it? If you have anything more then a few playlists or have 2700 songs on it, do you know how slow and inefficient using any type of control device for the Ipod will be? It is impossible to tranfer a command to the interface, then to the Ipod, then back to the interface and have the Ipod react to the command without some sort of lag. You can scroll thru your entire library of music using the click wheel in just a few seconds, no matter if you have 200 or 5000 songs. NOTHING IS FASTER THEN THE CLICK WHEEL!!!! Why do you think that the IceLink allows for manual manipulation of the Ipod. They know as well as anyone that communication thru that dock connector is slow. I had an IceLink and got tired of putting it into manual mode just to scroll thru to the song I wanted to hear. I thought to myself, "Why did I spend $200 on a product that I don't use as intended???". Blitzsafe has probably the best solution on the market. Their Mlink interface charges the Ipod and gives you a direct audio input into your headunit thru the dock connector. So now I am using the Mlink interface the same way I was using the IceLink part. I simply scroll using the click wheel. The interface charges the Ipod while the vehicle is running and continues to charge the Ipod for an additional 20 mins once the vehicle is shut down. The Mlink interface is simple plug and play, no cumbersome setup and option menu. It does what it is suppose to do. Plain and simple. Best part of the whole Mlink setup, the price tag, it RETAILS for $89.00. Less then half what the IceLink goes for. If you ask me, the Mlink is the way to go, period.. :thumbup:

#4 ·
MaxxedOutMotors said:
First off, you can not retain the changer and add any type of Ipod integration. Tom should have known that. Second, how large is your Ipod, how many songs are loaded on it? If you have anything more then a few playlists or have 2700 songs on it, do you know how slow and inefficient using any type of control device for the Ipod will be? It is impossible to tranfer a command to the interface, then to the Ipod, then back to the interface and have the Ipod react to the command without some sort of lag. You can scroll thru your entire library of music using the click wheel in just a few seconds, no matter if you have 200 or 5000 songs. NOTHING IS FASTER THEN THE CLICK WHEEL!!!! Why do you think that the IceLink allows for manual manipulation of the Ipod. They know as well as anyone that communication thru that dock connector is slow. I had an IceLink and got tired of putting it into manual mode just to scroll thru to the song I wanted to hear. I thought to myself, "Why did I spend $200 on a product that I don't use as intended???". Blitzsafe has probably the best solution on the market. Their Mlink interface charges the Ipod and gives you a direct audio input into your headunit thru the dock connector. So now I am using the Mlink interface the same way I was using the IceLink part. I simply scroll using the click wheel. The interface charges the Ipod while the vehicle is running and continues to charge the Ipod for an additional 20 mins once the vehicle is shut down. The Mlink interface is simple plug and play, no cumbersome setup and option menu. It does what it is suppose to do. Plain and simple. Best part of the whole Mlink setup, the price tag, it RETAILS for $89.00. Less then half what the IceLink goes for. If you ask me, the Mlink is the way to go, period.. :thumbup:
Nowhere did I see in his post asking to retain the CD Changer, if even the BMW is equipped with one from factory.

For $89, you are missing a lot of options - the two are completely different kits. With the Blitzsafe (or MLink as you call it) you will never see the following options.

Even better - I'll list 10:

1) Active Cradle - our "Docking Station" for the ipod for permantely fixed iPod mount in the vehicle> You have the option of our docking cable for those who would like more of a stealth installation.

2) You have 3 different charging options on the ice>Link Plus. Charge while playing, Never Charge or Charge for up to +2 hours after the ignition is shut down. ice>Link Plus is now featuring a smart charge control where you can select when your iPod should be charged. Reducing the daily charge cycles may extend the life of your battery.

3) ID3 text display on Business CD Radios, the Navigation units are currently in development at this time and will be offered as a downloadable upgrade at no charge. This gives the appearance of more of a factory-like look as it was offered by BMW.

4) Dual mode operation. Dension User Interface mode enables access to all iPod playlists through a combination of CD changer interfacing and the innovative Dension menu. iPod User Interface mode lets the user operate the iPod control surface and maps BMW controls to major iPod commands.

5) ice>Link Plus firmware can be upgraded directly from the iPod. Furthermore, the modular design enables the interface to be retained if the user changes vehicle with only a simple cable harness being required to adapt to a new vehicle application. This also enables the user to upgrade their iPod from one generation to the next and retain their interface.

6) AlbumPlay - Hear a song you like on your playlist? Press this button and all songs from where that particular MP3 (if loaded in your iPod) orignated from will play through your radio.

7) The ice>Link Plus supports a huge range of BMW systems. A built-in preamplifier plays iPod music loud and clear and makes the low bandwidth audio of FM transmitters and tape adaptors a joke. ice>Link Plus produces superb music quality from your iPod by conditioning signals to a variable output of up to 4V is sure tailor your stock electronics.

8) The ice>Link Plus turns the iPod on as you select CD changer or compatible external device mode, and turns it off when you are listening to the radio. Switch to back and the iPod will resume playing. Using the controls from your BMW provide true luxury and insure safety. Fast forward, rewind, previous and next track commands are passed to the iPod

9) You can create any number of playlists and browse between them. Playlists generated by the iTunes and on-the-go playlists are available as well. The first five playlists can be accessed directly by pressing just a single button Disk 1 - 5 on your radio. Of course, if you prefer the standard Apple iPod user interface, you can select it any time.

10) Unbeatable technical support by true BMW enthusiasts via phone, email and here on the forums.

Maxxedoutmotors: It's bad business to hijack a thread to plug your own products, especially when you are not even sponsoring the forum. I'm sure the MLink is great for those who are looking for a simple way to connect the iPod into the BMW, but the ice>Link Plus simply offers more - and is getting better as more features are introduced.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your feedback..... but.....

MaxxedOutMotors said:
First off, you can not retain the changer and add any type of Ipod integration.
- I didn't order the CD changer when I bought the car, it came as standard with the car and I really want take it out because of the lack of storage case in the front.
MaxxedOutMotors said:
Second, how large is your Ipod, how many songs are loaded on it?
- currently 40G, 6000+ songs; upgrading to 60G soon
MaxxedOutMotors said:
If you have anything more then a few playlists or have 2700 songs on it, do you know how slow and inefficient using any type of control device for the Ipod will be? It is impossible to tranfer a command to the interface, then to the Ipod, then back to the interface and have the Ipod react to the command without some sort of lag. You can scroll thru your entire library of music using the click wheel in just a few seconds, no matter if you have 200 or 5000 songs. NOTHING IS FASTER THEN THE CLICK WHEEL!!!! Why do you think that the IceLink allows for manual manipulation of the Ipod. They know as well as anyone that communication thru that dock connector is slow.
- Yes, I know about the lagging and it takes time for iPod to react... etc. I'm fine to use the iPod to select the playlist or album I want listen to (in Shuffle mode!) before I start a trip, and use my steering wheel to skip songs only.
MaxxedOutMotors said:
....If you ask me, the Mlink is the way to go, period.. :thumbup:
- I actually used iPod2Car before on my Lexus RX300, like it, but it does "hang" once in a while; would not stop charging; and doesn't work with BMWs. I'm considering Icelink this round because of Tom's comment 3, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Tom, thanks for reply to my other emails. Any update on the quote and shipping yet?

#7 ·
I am not hijacking so to speak, simply informing. For anyone with as large an Ipod as a 40gb, I would think it would become monotonous to track+track+. The lag really bothered me. I hated the delay. Both are in the same realm, they are both OEM Ipod Integration products. For me and a ton of other people I have spoken to, the IceLink's pros do not out way the cons. The IceLink is not price effect. 200 :dunno:, The quirkyness is annoying. Who wants to leave something charging it the vehicle for 2 hours? Not me. I just think for the $$$$ the unit should be flawless. As far as support, Blitzsafe offers great tech support and a Lifetime warranty. They have been in the game a lot longer then Dension. They have been around since the 80s. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.