BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#156 · (Edited)
OK, so let me ask in a different way; Is there a way of extending the iPod cable on the BMW MOST connector so that the iPod can be located in the arm rest console. :dunno:

To access the iPod in the glove box is most inconvenient UNLESS you can pause and select all of the iPod functions from the iDrive.......wait a minute, maybe I have just answered my own post.....why would I need to have the iPod next to me like I do with the AUX connector, IF the iDrive does all the functions.....hmmmm, is that true?

#159 ·
I restored the pics to this thread.

#160 ·
iPod Integration Kit Observations

I took delivery of a new 2007 530i last week and wanted to share my impressions of the dealer-installed BMW iPod Integration Kit:

Pros:
- Easy to control iPod via iDrive interface
- Simple connection via connector in glove box
- Excellent sound over Logic 7 system

Cons:
- CD5 default perpetually repeats playback of a single podcast, rather than play each podcast one time and then move to the next
- CD1 defaults to main iPod directory (containing all music and podcasts in the iPod library), rather than to a music-only playlist, and will not automatically return to the last playlist used

Is there any way to overcome the two drawbacks listed above, or do we just have to wait until the next software update? In addition, is there any way to shut off the Weather Band so that the radio skips over this audio output when scrolling from AM radio to SAT radio?

#162 ·
I took delivery of a new 2007 530i last week and wanted to share my impressions of the dealer-installed BMW iPod Integration Kit:

Pros:
- Easy to control iPod via iDrive interface
- Simple connection via connector in glove box
- Excellent sound over Logic 7 system

Cons:
- CD5 default perpetually repeats playback of a single podcast, rather than play each podcast one time and then move to the next
- CD1 defaults to main iPod directory (containing all music and podcasts in the iPod library), rather than to a music-only playlist, and will not automatically return to the last playlist used

Is there any way to overcome the two drawbacks listed above, or do we just have to wait until the next software update? In addition, is there any way to shut off the Weather Band so that the radio skips over this audio output when scrolling from AM radio to SAT radio?
It would really be helpful if we understood how the iDrive looked at the iPod. Sounds like the is much work yet to be done by the iDrive architects.

#163 ·
I've also experienced the same issues that bbmertz describes.

One thing I did figure out. You can scroll faster by twisting the iDrive wheel back and forth. It's hard to describe, but instead of just holding it steady, a racheting motion seems to speed up the scrolling.

With respect to podcasts, I tend to make playlists out of the short ones (hence my need for more than the usual number of playlists).

Frankly, I think access via playlist is the only viable way to play the ipod through the interface. The rest of it requires more manipulation, which may be fine on the ipod itself (since you aren't driving!) but can be a bit tedious via iDrive.

Still interested in hearing if anyone can confirm the 30 playlist limit.

#165 ·
New Ipod Hardware and Progman Available!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ipod integration is now available for all e60 build dates starting with 03/03. Just had my '05 545 (09/04 build date) Ipod kit recoded after a DIY install. Works like a champ! $299 for the part, DIY install, and free recode from the dealer.

#175 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that Ipod integration is now available for all e60 build dates starting with 03/03. Just had my '05 545 (09/04 build date) Ipod kit recoded after a DIY install. Works like a champ! $299 for the part, DIY install, and free recode from the dealer.
Hmm I asked my dealer whether the retrofit software already avail for e60 2004 without nav, they said it has not come out yet. So prob have to ask diff dealer? Can someone give me the version number of the software?

#166 ·
Does your 9/04 built e60 have navigation? My '05 e60 is production 4/05 w/navigation and was retrofitted with MP3 capability back in Aug According to the bulletin from a few months back, only E60s without navi from 3/05 and E60s w/navi from 9/05 will work with newly released interface part 65 11 0 403 651.

I've been waiting for either: 1)confirmation that it would work in my car before buying at-risk, or 2) the new part number for the pre 9/05 navi equipped e60.

2005 545i: Orient Blue/Beige, 6spd, Sport, Navi, CWP, PremSound, PDC, Active-steering, Comfort seats, Rear shades, Rear heated and folding seats and Satellite Radio.

#169 ·
Hello everyone. I am new here.

I have a 2006 750li w/ Nav/Sat/CD Changer/Rear Seat Ent.

I realize that this is the 5 series forum, however this appears to be the only thread w/ extensive discussion re: the ipod integration. If I should be posting elsewhere, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope someone here can answer some of my questions:

1. In my vehicle, I can play MP3 CD's in the changer, but not the in-dash player. Is there an update available that can change this? If so, is it necessary for the ipod integration to work?

2. I read earlier in this thread that if you have Rear Seat Ent., that the install may not be possible. Can anyone confirm this?

3. In the 5 series, where is the DVD unit for the GPS located? For the 7 it is in the trunk.

4. Would the 5 series DIY instructions be adequate for a 7 series as well?

Thank you.

#173 ·
Downgrade iPod?

I purchased a brand new 80G iPod to go with my brand new iPod adapter.... The iPod came with 1.2 software on it, but as others have pointed out here, 1.2 software doesn't work very well with the BMW integration (which really ticks me off, but that's another thread somewhere, isn't it?). I can't find a good source to answer:

1) Can the 80G iPod work on 1.1.2 software?
2) Is there a reliable, Apple-sanctioned way of downgrading the device?

I've only found sketchy hacks that look like they've been revised over and over because unsuspecting users have tried them and have ended up erasing or destroying their iPods in the process....

I also just heard of a 1.2.1 release--does any one know if that might solve the "random playback" problem that 1.2 created (i.e., it doesn't play randomly any more in the car!!)?

Thanks.

Steve

#176 ·
Modular Monster iCharger

I took Stream's write-up of installing the iCharger one step further. Because we are planning to add either an X3 or an X5, I didn't want to dismantle the iCharger kit and bind it to just one vehicle. The fact that the X5 has a 12V outlet and an Aux Input in the armrest gave me an idea.

First I started by taking out that resistor segment of my aux-input harness. Since I had already installed my kit prior to Stream posting the benefit of removing that portion, I had three options: Disconnect the harness by dismantling the dash (again) and taking the cable to my desk for some soldering; hook up my power converter for some soldering in-the-field; use scotchlock connectors and just crimp the bugger.

Needless to say, I took option three. IMHO, the sound is just as clear as if I had used soldering tin instead of these insulated connectors. Really REALLY handy.

Segment dissected

Segment Close up

Scotchlock connectors attached

And wrapped in electrical tape (not really necessary)

On to the next part. I pretty much mimicked the X5 setup by using BMW part # 82 11 0 004 073. It's the Auxilary power adapter that normally converts the glove-box flashlight socket into another cigarette lighter plug. I routed the monster stereo cable underneath the side of the armest so the wire is completely hidden and pulled it out the backside where the rear 12V outlets are. Very similar to what Stream did here except a "little" neater (No offense Stream :angel:)

Next, at the lower level of the armrest, I used wire cutters to snip out the vent housing at the rear and pulled the monster cable through that into the compartment. After that was in place, I snipped off the glove-box side of the BMW kit part and fed that wire through the armrest side back to where the vents are. Looks something like this when the iCharger is plugged in to it.

And like this from the backside

Now, the audio is already plugged in up front to the Aux-Input, so that part is done. Now to feed power to the adapter kit. Using a continuity tester, I figured out that the socket Tip is a White wire and the socket side is a Black wire. With that in mind, I popped the existing connectors off of the rear-seat lighter housings and wiggled the adapter wires onto the taps and re-capped the source.

I would have preferred to use a traditional T-tap for the two power leads on the adapter, but the ones I have on hand are too small in gauge to wrap around the existing lead wires. Either way, the wires are in tight and a dry run shows the iPod (skinned in blue) turns on and off with the car.

After I add in a 90* adapter for the line-out on the iCharger, the entire kit will be completely modular so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle.

:thumbup:

BTW, if anyone wants more detailed pictures, reply before tomorrow morning. "Most" of the car is still in pieces, but once everything is reassembled, you're going to have to persuade me to get those rear vents off again. :D

#182 ·
On to the next part. I pretty much mimicked the X5 setup by using BMW part # 82 11 0 004 073. It's the Auxilary power adapter that normally converts the glove-box flashlight socket into another cigarette lighter plug. I routed the monster stereo cable underneath the side of the armest so the wire is completely hidden and pulled it out the backside where the rear 12V outlets are. Very similar to what Stream did here except a "little" neater (No offense Stream :angel:)
Nice DIY. And no offense taken. :angel:

Not sure what was "un-neat" about my install, though. The pic you linked to above ("here") I intentionally took with the carpeted trim piece removed, to show how the wire runs:

With the trim piece installed it looks like this (which is the pic just above the one you linked to)--looks pretty neat to me: ;)

#177 · (Edited)
iPod integration kit not available (at least in Canada) for 530i built 9/04. Emailed BMW Canada and got this reply "Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to release an iPod intergration kit for your specific vehicle". Only available for production dates after 9/05 (?). I'd be interested if anyone really has had luck getting integration kit for older 5 series - part #??

Cynic

#178 ·
iPod Hidden Costs

I just installed the Most based Ipod System in my 07 550i (part number 65 11 0 403 651) from Barvarian Motorwork this is the system build by Alpine that has all the BMW installation instructions etc. Well long story short the cost was the part plus the retro fee (activation) Partwas $270 and the software install was $245 and a coule of days in the shop so the total cost was $515. Now maybe if you buy the CD changer it will work without the s/w upgrade but my SA say's don't count on it. So just figure the retrofit s/w upgrade cost into the cost of doing business.

#179 ·
I just installed the Most based Ipod System in my 07 550i (part number 65 11 0 403 651) from Barvarian Motorwork this is the system build by Alpine that has all the BMW installation instructions etc. Well long story short the cost was the part plus the retro fee (activation) Partwas $270 and the software install was $245 and a coule of days in the shop so the total cost was $515. Now maybe if you buy the CD changer it will work without the s/w upgrade but my SA say's don't count on it. So just figure the retrofit s/w upgrade cost into the cost of doing business.
Per BMW (it is mentioned in the instructions) the recoding (software update) is covered under the warranty. You should NOT have been charged for that.

#183 ·
Just picked up my car earlier this week and instantly fell in love with the iPod interface that the dealer installed. I love the fact that my iPod is totally integrated. Who needs Sat radio when you have all the tunes you want to hear available on your iPod??

In spite of my neverending love, I am having some issues with the iDrive controller. At the rate I'm going, I'll never listen to an artist past the "B"s! I figure that I'll need to create playlists for a few key artists, but for those times when I must venture into the "G"s, the "M"s, or heaven forbid...the "T"s, does anyone have ANY tips on getting to the end of the alphabet without spraining your wrist and/or breaking the iPod controller? Whenever I twist it all the way, I can't help but to think I'm on the verge of breaking the darned thing. Help!?!

#184 ·
I should be getting my car this week and I have spent the past couple weeks updating my Ipod for the car.

I really do not want to spend the extra $$$ to have BMW install the Ipod kit in my car and I am not nearly handy enough to install the kit which has been mentioned in this thread.

Is there a big difference between the Aux input when listening to the Ipod that I can just easily do without any work to the factory installed or the kits which have been customized by other posters?

Thank you for any input.

#185 ·
I should be getting my car this week and I have spent the past couple weeks updating my Ipod for the car.

I really do not want to spend the extra $$$ to have BMW install the Ipod kit in my car and I am not nearly handy enough to install the kit which has been mentioned in this thread.

Is there a big difference between the Aux input when listening to the Ipod that I can just easily do without any work to the factory installed or the kits which have been customized by other posters?

Thank you for any input.
Obviously the big differences between the aux input and the BMW iPod interface is the later allows you to control the iPod via iDrive, charges it, and turns it on/off. I use the aux input and the sound quality is great, and although I haven't heard an iPod through the interface kit, I can't imagine it sounding noticeably better. With my set up, the iPod gets charged and turns off when I turn off the car, but you need to manually turn it on after you start the car (I use the remote for that).

I was very excited to get the iPod interface, but I've decided to pass because of its limitations. Perhaps down the road they'll address the shortcomings and I'll reconsider. With the current implementation, it seems the only really workable approach is to set up several play lists, but you can also do that using the aux input, and still be able to navigate using the iPod scroll wheel.

I just burn 8GB of MP3s on double layer DVDs and use the dash DVD drive. With 3 DVDs, I've got 24GB of music easily accessible.

#186 ·
How many speakers does your ipod drive? I plugged-in a cheap-o mp3 player that I received with my Bose headphones and it only drives two rear speakers. So am I correct to assume that even the best ipods, when connected through the aux input will only play through 2 speakers?? Thanks in advance.

#188 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a cheap POS MP3 player. But just to be clear, you're simply plugging your MP3 with a single cord into your AUX jack (mine is on the back of the center console). If you're getting sound out of all 13 speakers, may I ask what MP3 player you are using? Thanks!

#193 ·
Yes--see the first post of this thread for my install. I have a Monster mini stereo cable connecting the iPod to the aux input.

Regarding what type of cable, be sure to get a shielded cable, to avoid any interference from the car's electrical system.

#189 ·
Make sure that you're using a stereo mini cable (vs. a mono one). you can tell them apart by the two [usually black] insulation bands on the mini plug as opposed to one insulation ring on the mono cable. the quality of the input player should have no bearing on how may speakers are utilized during playback.

#190 ·
Riisor,

I went to the Apple Ipod store and saw the Belkin Retractable Mini Stereo Cable. For someone who just wants to plug into the Aux in the rear port, is this the best cable I can get for sound quality?

I am really on the fence about having BMW just do the instal or just do the cable and port myself. If the sound is the same, I would rather just use the cable myself and not have to pay the extra money for a leased car.

#191 ·
Kindzcar,
The Belkin should be fine. I bought a male-to-male connector at Ratshack for $3, and it works just fine.
Also, I'm with you about spending the bucks for a 2yr lease, 3yr is borderline for me. However, if you can view the iPod info on the dash screen, that is a big plus for the M.O.S.T. system.

Stream, et. al.
Re: iPod driving speakers......it doesn't!:yikes:
It only drives the power amplifier section of the stereo. (It may also go thru the pre-amp, not sure)! However, I have noticed that when using the AUX connector in my 3er, the connector itself can effect sound if the cable/plug is under tension causing it to lose contact internal to the connector (cheepie connector), and it will sound awful. Just make sure the plug is making good contact with the connector.

NOW EVERYONE:bigpimp:
What is the concensus re: the best format for setting up the iPod playlists/folders for use with the MOST system?

Thanks,
SM

#194 ·
Thanks for the feedback! It is most appreciated! I'm 3 months in on a 3 year lease and while I love the car, I'm not all that interested in investing any further into the stereo system... glad to hear the aux jack works well--sounds like I need a better cord or possible a better MP3 player.

#196 ·
Playlist set-up for the M.O.S.T. Adapter?

Maybe this got lost in my last post, but I was interested in knowing what those of you, who use the iPod adapter, have found to be the best way to set up your iPod Playlists to overcome (or manage) the 255 barrier. :eek:

Also, if you use smartlists with more than 255 songs, what occurs when it tries to go past 255, or is it that you just can't see past 255? :confused:

#197 ·
Flashlight socket adapter?

I can't seem to find the adapter that plugs into the flashlight socket in the glove box. :mad:

I have used my flashight once in 3 years, so I can do whithout it just fine! :D

#198 ·
I can't seem to find the adapter that plugs into the flashlight socket in the glove box. :mad:

I have used my flashight once in 3 years, so I can do whithout it just fine! :D
Well you have to buy it - Auxiliary Power Adapter, part no: 82 11 0 004 073

Unless you mean you already did and then lost it :bawling:

#203 ·
Thanks Goheels98.

My car is at the prep center before my dealership and I think for now at least I am going to just use the simple AUX hook up and spend a couple extra bucks on putting that small piece of wood on the lever inlay.

The wait for this car has been too long IMO. My car got into the dock last weekend and b/c of the holiday and then tuesday the dock was closed, I am still waiting. If I didnt get my wife a new car this past Tuesday for me to be driving around this weekend I would have really lost my sh*t.

Thanks again

#205 ·
What would USB for iPod do for us? Or is that iPod, plus USB for something else - then what?

iPods don't play audio over USB - only charge and transfer music as best I can tell.

BTW, for those using the AUX adapter, this looks interesting to avoid the headphone jack:
http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2191/.f?sc=2&category=495

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.