BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good replacement for ashtray

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bcbp14 
#1 ·
So I'm adding my latest "mod" to my car...a St. Christopher statue (you know the patron saint of travellers...lots of germans do that, plus my name is Christopher) and trying to find a good place to put it. I pop out the ashtray which I'll never use and wondering if there is a good replacement piece that would just fill in that area without the silver piece (which I know can come out) that fits well and looks good to give a small little storage area.

for now I put the statue on the space where the cupholders go when they're open.
I asked Santa for the Tec (or whatever it's called) cupholder that will go in the armrest because I don't like nor will I use the OEM cupholders.

#2 ·
How about the glove box??? As long as he's along for the ride with you, aren't you covered? I mean, just because old St. Chris ain't out on display does that mean he's going to give you less blessing or protection?

Heaven forbid something should happen to you while driving...you get to heaven and see St. Christopher...

YOU: Hey, Chris! What's the deal? I was traveling with your statue?!?!
St. CHRIS: Yeah, but you had me stuffed in the glove box. Sorry, kid, it don't work like that.
YOU: D'oh!

Anyway, guess I just don't like clutter, even when it may be sacrilegious. Good luck with the mod :thumbup:

#3 ·
:rofl::rofl:that's hilarious. Thanks for the joke. No way now I'm sticking him in the glove box. I have a smaller statue of St. Christopher I got at Weiskirche in Bavaria this spring when I picked up my 328 and he rides with me in full display all the time in the area that would have been the ashtray but was deleted in mid year '09 production which I actually like so I can see him all the time.

#7 ·
I pop out the ashtray which I'll never use and wondering if there is a good replacement piece that would just fill in that area without the silver piece (which I know can come out) that fits well and looks good to give a small little storage area.
There is. :)

There's a coin holder replacement insert for the ashtray in the center console. It has a black rubberized coating to keep the coins from clanking around. It was part of the European non-smoker's package that we didn't get, but you can buy the part from a BMW parts dept. Part #51-16-8-159-695. Cost me about $6 a few years ago.

The easiest way to get the ashtray out is to open the lid and when it's fully open at the (almost) vertical angle, push straight down on the edge of the lid and it acts as a release so the ashtray pops right out.

#11 ·
Glad I could help you guys. :) This is pretty unknown. I discovered this randomly reading the blog of an e39 owner about 5 years ago. I was surprised they offered this to Europeans (but not us) when Europeans smoke a lot more than we do and no one here wants to buy a car that's been smoked in.

I DO use the coin holder in the door, but this is good for overflow loose change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.