BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Comp package steering wheel +

6K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
Hello all, I’m ordering a 2006 thru BMW military sales (To answer all question sabout teh pricing the base is 42,800 instead of 48,900, All options are retail price) Anyway, I have no dealership to actually see an M3 with the ZCP. The wheel however looks like suede in the brochure. Is the wheel a different type of leather? Also, I’m not going to ask you if the Comp package is worth the money because I have made up my mind. My question is (if anyone can answer) Why when you get the comp package along with the PP you HAVE to get the Navigational system? Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
stephentross said:
Hello all, I'm ordering a 2006 thru BMW military sales (To answer all question sabout teh pricing the base is 42,800 instead of 48,900, All options are retail price) Anyway, I have no dealership to actually see an M3 with the ZCP. The wheel however looks like suede in the brochure. Is the wheel a different type of leather? Also, I'm not going to ask you if the Comp package is worth the money because I have made up my mind. My question is (if anyone can answer) Why when you get the comp package along with the PP you HAVE to get the Navigational system? Thanks for any input.
Nav is part of the PP. If you don't want Nav order ala carte.

#5 ·
Hercules said:
The steering wheel in my opinion, is something that will track a *lot* of dirt.

If your mind is made up, may I suggest you buy some driving gloves to go with your purchase? :)
That was a pretty good guess on your part, as someone that appearantly doesn't own one. :rolleyes: But as someone that actually has one, and though I keep my hands relatively clean, there's no problem with that at all. And it cleans up, just like leather with a damp cloth... no issues... and I don't remember the CSL guys complaining about it either. :p

#6 ·
ZCP steering wheel

stephentross said:
Hello all, I'm ordering a 2006 thru BMW military sales (To answer all question sabout teh pricing the base is 42,800 instead of 48,900, All options are retail price) Anyway, I have no dealership to actually see an M3 with the ZCP. The wheel however looks like suede in the brochure. Is the wheel a different type of leather? Also, I'm not going to ask you if the Comp package is worth the money because I have made up my mind. My question is (if anyone can answer) Why when you get the comp package along with the PP you HAVE to get the Navigational system? Thanks for any input.
Alcantara is great on seats, but as others have said, it will probably not wear well on the wheel. You also lose the radio and telephone buttons as part of the deal. That is not tha main feature of the package, however.

IMO the ZCP is not a good value, but it doesn't suck, either.

#7 ·
stephentross said:
I am actually thinking of doing the exact same thing. Pentagon Car Sales right? After all the numbers were put together, and the cost of shipping it to a Dealer in the U.S. ,(I am only going TDY so don't get the entitlement to have it shipped back by the military), I am only saving about $3500.00 total. I was definitely disappointed to find out that is all I would be saving. I will probably still buy, it is my dream car, but sure would like to save a little more.

#8 ·
Yes I am using Pentagon car sales as well. Its not a bad deal at all consideing you get 1st priority when they start building your car. I ended up with the Interlagos Blue and every available option and package. ( Except cruise control of course. Dont understand that one) The car ended coming to 56,200. Then the 2150 for shipping. which includes all the duty taxes and etc...Thats it! Not a bad deal at all. Im a little nervous about the SMG but Im sure I will get used to it. You have until the VIN number is generated to make any changes. We will see, I may end up with a 6 speed and 2400 dollars in my wallet.

#9 ·
stephentross said:
Yes I am using Pentagon car sales as well. Its not a bad deal at all consideing you get 1st priority when they start building your car. I ended up with the Interlagos Blue and every available option and package. ( Except cruise control of course. Dont understand that one) The car ended coming to 56,200. Then the 2150 for shipping. which includes all the duty taxes and etc...Thats it! Not a bad deal at all. Im a little nervous about the SMG but Im sure I will get used to it. You have until the VIN number is generated to make any changes. We will see, I may end up with a 6 speed and 2400 dollars in my wallet.
Oh man, I would really suggest going with the six speed manual, esp. with the ZCP. I really think you have more ability to manupulate the car to do what you want with a manual. I drove my uncles 03 with a six speed and it is just so much fun, if you are like myself, you will be better of with the siz speed, esp. on the track. That is just my opinion though.

#10 ·
How can you manipulate the car more with a manual?

Other than you can either screw up a downshift and spin, or screw up a downshift and blow up your engine (money shift).

#13 ·
I placed my deposit and final configuration today. SMG is in the car. It just makes sense to get it. I got every available option EXCEPT a sunroof. I didnt get the cold weather package either, But I did get the heated seats. Didnt want the ski bag or the high pressure washers. Saved $250.00 I by-passed the Premium package but got everything in the PP except the sunroof so I saved a few hundred dollars on that also. Interlagos Blue and Nappa Black leather interior. Now I just wait

#14 ·
M3 comp pack

Hey I work for BMW and I have an 05 Comp pack it has 5k miles on it and they replaced the steering wheel twice because it wears so easy, great car though I also have the SMG and I like it miss my 6spd though but when you are in traffic you can just shift it to auto, only problem is its in the shop getting a new hydro pump for the smg, but in any case the best car I ever had.

#15 ·
not a good value

I just wanted to reply to the guy who said Comp pack wasn't a good value for 4k you get wheels cross drilled brakes track mode and susp mods, how can that not be a good value the wheels alone are around 3k, Even Motortrend said it was the best 4k you can spend.

#16 ·
warhog1978 said:
I just wanted to reply to the guy who said Comp pack wasn't a good value for 4k you get wheels cross drilled brakes track mode and susp mods, how can that not be a good value the wheels alone are around 3k, Even Motortrend said it was the best 4k you can spend.
What good are cross drilled brakes? The "track mode" is worthless, and all 05+ have the same suspension. The wheels are readily available for ~$1500. But oh, Motortrend says so...well that changes things :rolleyes:

#17 ·
suspension is not the same as a stock M3 and the crossed drilled brakes don't hesitate on hard stops as the stock brakes do, tell me where you can find the rims and tires for 1500 cause I will buy 4 sets, and the track mode limits the DSC I guess its what people like I personally think its worth it.

#18 · (Edited)
warhog1978 said:
suspension is not the same as a stock M3 and the crossed drilled brakes don't hesitate on hard stops as the stock brakes do, tell me where you can find the rims and tires for 1500 cause I will buy 4 sets, and the track mode limits the DSC I guess its what people like I personally think its worth it.
:confused:

I think the suspension is the same on all M3's now. In any kind of repeated track application, the cross drilled rotors are going to crap out and crack/warp. My stock brakes work just fine, btw, I haven't noticed any hesitation. Wheels, eh, they're ok. And if you're actually at the track, you'd turn the DSC off.

I think the best part of the Comp package is probably the steering rack.

#19 ·
The comp package wheels are actually going for $2000-2500, and the biggest advantage to the upgraded brakes (besides looking great) is that there is vitually no fade even under hard braking. The advantage to the "M" DSC is that it only controls individual wheel braking and leaves the throttle alone whereas the regular DSC controls both - important to those who actually enjoy "driving". These things may mean nothing to the average driver, but to some people they make all the difference. It is all about personal preference. Don't forget the more direct ratio rack and pinion, and the fact that a pretty nice color is available without having to pay "BMW Individual" prices. Bottom line: this is money well spent for some and a total waste for others - it depends soley on the buyer's preference.

#21 ·
What upgraded brakes??? Same pads and calipers, just the drilled rotors. You cna put the same rotors on any M3 for a few hundred bucks. The separate hats are a bit nice, but everyone who seriously tracks their car seems to crack the rotors between the holes. And BS on the lack of fade, they WILL fade under repeated heavy use. THEY USE THE SAME PADS. And the brake rotor mass is LESS, and they have no more cooling than stock. And NO the holes don't increase cooling, they decrease scooling.

And yes, as of 05 all M3 have the same suspension that comes on the ZCP package. So no gain there.

Those who really enjoy driving and REALLY know how to drive, are smart enough to use DSC on the street and turn it ALL THE WAY OFF on the track.

And WOW, you too can have the same color car as probably 80% of ZCP cars out there.

The wheels are nice looking, but try finding track tires (for REAL driving) in 19". And the fronts are still only 8" wide, which is WORTHLESS.

#22 ·
Pinecone said:
What upgraded brakes??? Same pads and calipers, just the drilled rotors. You cna put the same rotors on any M3 for a few hundred bucks. The separate hats are a bit nice, but everyone who seriously tracks their car seems to crack the rotors between the holes. And BS on the lack of fade, they WILL fade under repeated heavy use. THEY USE THE SAME PADS. And the brake rotor mass is LESS, and they have no more cooling than stock. And NO the holes don't increase cooling, they decrease scooling.

And yes, as of 05 all M3 have the same suspension that comes on the ZCP package. So no gain there.

Those who really enjoy driving and REALLY know how to drive, are smart enough to use DSC on the street and turn it ALL THE WAY OFF on the track.

And WOW, you too can have the same color car as probably 80% of ZCP cars out there.

The wheels are nice looking, but try finding track tires (for REAL driving) in 19". And the fronts are still only 8" wide, which is WORTHLESS.
:yikes: I really don't regret not getting the ZCP anymore!

#23 ·
I don't know what track you are going to, but the Nurburgring is about an hour and 15 from where I live in Germany, and the M3 with competition works very well there. Most of the guys I know don't drive with the DSC off there because the tail gets a little too loose at that style of track. Anyhow, it goes back to personal preference. I am just trying to tell those interested that I enjoy the benefits of it, instead of all those who tell prospective buyers that it is a WASTE of money when they don't even own one.

#24 ·
Well if the tail gets loose with the tire stagger the BMW uses, the drivers need to learn to drive, and/or learn to live with a little tail wag. Personally I like a car a bit loose. BTW type of track has nothing to do with it, but type of driving and basic car setup. And I know of no one who has ever claimed that an E46 M3 is at all tail happy unless they are over trail braking.

But if YOU want the track mode DSC, for $4000, go for it. That and the steering rack are the ONLY real differences. Especially on Euro cars, where you get the brake rotors on the non-ZCP cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.