BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Large plastic strip/piece below winshield??

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dubsr 
#1 ·
It is held in w/ hex/torq screws below the wipers lower windshield.
What is it and how much?
Mine is breaking apart into pieces.

#2 ·
Windshield frame cover, Part #51718159292, click the picture to go the the RealOEM.com parts page for it. Lists at about $60. Since you're in Victorville I would call the clostest BMW dealer up there. Don't call Savage BMW in Ontario - they consistently charge about %50 over list. Try ordering it online from a reputable vendor like Pelican Parts. Alternatively, take the 138 (I think?) and go to Pacific BMW in Glendale. Their prices are below list.

#4 ·
yeah, the tough part is getting the driver's side compression nut (for lack of better word) off of the driver's side wiper arm stud. spray a little lube, grab it with some pliers and wiggle/twist it. it splines on, but once the nut tightens it down, it's on there pretty good. be a good time to replace the windshield surround cover if it's in bad shape. another 35-40 bucks, 30 minutes of your time, done. it's not too bad, i've done both of these here recently. post any questions you have, i'm sure that someone around here can help you. good luck man. branndon. hey, another good thing to do is mark where your wipers lie on the windshield when they're all the way down. make it easier to put them back in the right position when you go back.

#6 ·
Hey yeah, I was wondering with that DIY thread went to?? Anyway, I agree--the hardest part is removing the damn nut on the wiper arm--an extraction tool would be good, as mentioned. Also, I agree that you may as well do the rest of the windshield cover stripping at the same time while you're at it. Check out the "cowl" piece as well, identified in the link above--it may be disintegrated as well. Easy DIY while you're at it....

#7 · (Edited)
It is in the DIY section...just not stickied. :)

Edit: It is now stuck! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.