BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Tires - Please Suggest

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  bmrboy2008 
#1 ·
2004 530 i came with OEM ContiTouringContact CV95 17"

I recently replaced the rear one's with the OEM as above. Not really happy with the traction particularly now during winter snow time..DSC seems to get activated every other time i take a turn. its time to replace the front set and was hoping to replace them with some other winter/all season tires. May be move the rear to front and out the new tires in front.

What do u guys say?

#2 ·
I replaced the four OEM tires on my previous 07 530 with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. They were not run flats. The run flats were way too expensive and kept causing my tire pressure monitoring system to say the air was low, even when it wasn't. This was a constant problem when the weather when from 100+ degrees to cooler nights. These new Goodyear Eagles drove very, very well. But, they became very, very noisy after about 5,000 miles. If you don't mind the noise they are great all-season radials. But, solely due to the noise, I would never buy them again.

#4 ·
Continenal Extreme Contact DWS! Bang for the buck, great reviews and performance, and they have a high tread rating. Check them out on Tire Rack. Just click the word tire in my response and you're off to the races!!!:thumbup:

#9 ·
That is what I plan to install. The dealer wants $1200 for the OEM Conti's. The DWS will be about $700 installed at a recommended installer here in NH. Great prices from Tire Rack.

If they are as quite as the OEM tires and have better traction in the snow, I am set! 50k mile warranty also.

#5 ·
#6 ·
If you want winter tires, I can recommend the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 DSST ROF (no, I'm not making that up - that really is its model designation; I guess they're taking a page from the BMW Z4 sDrive35is or whatever). There is a non-run-flat version if you prefer. I run them and the traction is astounding on my xDrive. They also handle pretty good for a winter tire: about as good as a mid-grade all-season.

#7 ·
this month I put 225/50R-17 PIRELLI WINTER 210 SOTTOZERO RFT RUNFLAT on my 07 550I (Had OEM 245/40/18 Front and 275/35/18 Potenza). Had them mounted on Decent Al. rims with TPMS installed. The whole package shipped and mounted for just south of $1500.....no more paying to change and balance tires 2X a year.

Car went from not being able to go up my relatively flat driveway to a reliable winter car.....Still get DTS lights, but it is expected with any V8 RWD car......

#8 ·
Don't over look the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S. Tire Rack has some comparisons and test reports.
Cal

#12 ·
+3
I got these on a few months ago and after driving in both dry and heavy rain I would highly recommend them or at least throw into the mix for consideration.

#17 · (Edited)
+1.

A great tire for the price, great reviews on TireRack and they will last you ALOT longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.