BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation Disk Keeps Ejecting?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 ·
Has anyone else ever experienced any issues with there NAV Disk not staying inside? Mine constantly ejects for no reason at all. :mad:

#2 ·
You didn't mention which Nav unit you have in your 7 (or what year your 7 is).

But, is your map disc an original one or a copy? Some people have had issues with copied maps not working correctly.

#4 ·
Personally, I'd try to borrow a known working map disc from someone else (or, have your OEM map disc put into a working MKIII from someone else) & see what happens.

Then, I'd swap (with a friend) that also has a working MKIII & see if his/her MKIII works fine in your car & your MKIII has the same problem in his car.

Those would be much cheaper test methods than just going out & buying a MKIV. But, my GUESS is a MKIV would solve your problem. I'd just want to be really sure your MKIII needs to be replaced before I'd spend the money for a MKIV (unless you want to upgrade to the MKIV anyways).

Let us know what you find out.

#6 ·
I also have just had this issue, and have no clue why it started rejecting the disk. I tried two different disks, each of which used to work fine.
I first noticed VERY slow response from the nav system while trying to input a destination, then it completely stoped working.

How can I tell which nav unit I have? There doesn't seem to be any identifying labels that I can find..

Thanks for any help..

2001 740i Sport.

#7 ·
Assuming the Nav hasn't been changed out in your 2001 7, then if you have the smaller screen (4X3), then you have a MKII. If you have the widescreen (16x9) up front, then you have a MKIII in the trunk. If the Nav in the trunk has "DVD" on the unit, then it's a MKIV.

#8 ·
Try a head cleaning disc or blast of compressed air (carefully).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.