BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What bike would you start out on?

9K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  sno_duc 
#1 ·
So, I took the MSF course, got my license and now looking to pick up a bike. I know it's kinda off-season, but I'm thinking that maybe that would allow me to get a better deal. (or should I just wait until next spring?)

The tough part is picking out the bike. The budget is flexible but I'd like to stay under 4-5K and being a new rider I probably shouldn't go out and get a brand new bike for my first ride anyway.

I like the seating position and ergo's on the Triumph Street Triple or Ducati Monster, but keep thinking that's way too much bike to start out on. On the other hand a Triumph Bonneville (which just speaks to me when i get on) seems like a tamer bike, but has an even bigger engine. Would this be a motorcycle that you'd recommend for a beginner?
I could pick up a brand new Bonneville (the pros for me are better styling, contoured seat, and fuel-injection) for about 8.5K vs the other end of the spectrum - something like a 2003 for about 4-5K.

What would you guys suggest? Are there any other standard bikes with soul and a normal size engine (regardless of displacement but one that's not pushing out 100bhp) that I'm overlooking. It seems like there's a serious gap between the 250cc beginner bikes and 650cc rockets.

Thanks in advance!

As a side note - bimmerfest ROCKS! :thumbup: It may not look like it by my post count, but yes, I am an addict!

See less See more
#3 ·
Personally, for a first bike I'd get something older and cheaper! You ARE going to drop it, and typically the larger engined bikes weigh more... so they go down harder and are tougher to lift up again.

Some mid-range bikes I've tried that I loved;

Suzuki SV-650 (S version is more sporty, but regular version is nice and upright)
Suzuki V-Strom (taller than the SV-650 but upright again)
Honda Nighthawk 750 (rode one of these for years, but they're old now!)
Yamaha FZ-6 (awesome first bike)
Honda 599 (spiritual successor to the Nighthawk)

Those are the basic ones I can think of off the top of my head that meet your requirements. They're all pretty easy to ride, and aren't "all out" sport bikes.

#4 ·
Personally, for a first bike I'd get something older and cheaper! You ARE going to drop it, and typically the larger engined bikes weigh more... so they go down harder and are tougher to lift up again.

Some mid-range bikes I've tried that I loved;

Suzuki SV-650 (S version is more sporty, but regular version is nice and upright)
Suzuki V-Strom (taller than the SV-650 but upright again)
Honda Nighthawk 750 (rode one of these for years, but they're old now!)
Yamaha FZ-6 (awesome first bike)
Honda 599 (spiritual successor to the Nighthawk)

Those are the basic ones I can think of off the top of my head that meet your requirements. They're all pretty easy to ride, and aren't "all out" sport bikes.
They say that anyone that rides long enough drops the bike, which I agree with. I started on a 91 CBR 600 F2, and it was perfect. Not too fast, light, easy to manuever, and being old, a few scratches fit right in with the paint scheme :D
From there I moved to an 01 Honda F4i 600, and loved that too. From there I went to an 06 Honda 600rr. All this happened within 2 years, and I've never dropped the bike, and I've logged over 20k miles between the 3. It's all about respecting the bike, and watching your @ss 24/7 while riding. Uneven roads, stupid/crazy drivers, and animals are things you gotta be on the lookout for at all times.

I garuntee I'll lay the bike down, but hopefully it isnt' too serious, and I cannot stress the importance of proper gear. I NEVER leave on the bike w/o my leather jacket, helmet, gloves, and riding boots. You may feel like a goon at first, and your friends may laugh, but you won't be the one sitting in the hospital with road rash covering 70% of your body.
Plus, wearing all that gear makes me feel like a moto gp rider :rolf:

#6 ·
Thanks a lot for all the input, guys! Funny that those specific bikes are being mentioned - here's a little article I stumbled upon comparing all three.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

I kind of like the looks of the Suzuki and even more the Honda. Reminds me of the Ducati GT from some angles. I guess I'll have to head down to the dealership and climb on em'.

But going back to the original idea - you don't think that these bikes that will do 0-60 in under 4 seconds are too much for a beginner? And weight-wise, they're still in the low 400 range. I'm assuming that's not considered heavy...?

#7 ·
Thanks a lot for all the input, guys! Funny that those specific bikes are being mentioned - here's a little article I stumbled upon comparing all three.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

I kind of like the looks of the Suzuki and even more the Honda. Reminds me of the Ducati GT from some angles. I guess I'll have to head down to the dealership and climb on em'.

But going back to the original idea - you don't think that these bikes that will do 0-60 in under 4 seconds are too much for a beginner? And weight-wise, they're still in the low 400 range. I'm assuming that's not considered heavy...?
Just because it CAN do 0-60 in under 4 seconds doesn't mean you have to, and it requires a lot of skill to pull that off anyway. my 600rr weighs around 380 wet (filled with fluids), and its very easy to handle. I'm 6'1 165lbs, and it's no problem at all. Once you get into other bikes around 1000cc, you'll see bikes weighing around 450-500lbs.

#9 ·
yah start with some thing cheap and small. A 600CC bike is great to learn on, they are light and easy to handle. I like the sport bikes so get 03-04 yamaha R6 or Honda CBR, should be around $4K. It kills me when people start with a 1000CC + bike, mine as well come with a body bag (sorry its the truth)

#10 ·
Get a used Ninja 250 08+ for around 3k....... I got a mint used one and couldn't be happier. 600cc supersport? those output 130 hps, not good for a newbie.

#13 ·
The highest output 600 now is actually about 100bhp, and 55-60 ft lbs of torque, torque is the enemy of a new rider, as that's what's going to launch them off the line. 50-60lbs is very reasonable.

I'm buying my first bike this winter as well, so I've been looking into this a lot. I agree with 0428. Even though I am not a huge fan of sport bikes, the weight and power of the ninjas seem to make them the preferred starter bike. I am getting the 500 and not the 250 because of my size (6'2" 220) and because I want to do highway riding.
Anyone over 115lbs will quickly become bored and outperform a ninja 250. It's downright dangerous to bring one on the highway too.

#11 ·
I'm buying my first bike this winter as well, so I've been looking into this a lot. I agree with 0428. Even though I am not a huge fan of sport bikes, the weight and power of the ninjas seem to make them the preferred starter bike. I am getting the 500 and not the 250 because of my size (6'2" 220) and because I want to do highway riding.

The reports seem to be that if you take care of these bikes you can keep them for a while... They also seem to hold a lot of their value, you'll see this as you look at prices of used ones from up to even 10 years ago.

#14 · (Edited)
i got a ninja 06' 500, great starter bike, plenty get up and go, i get 240 miles to a tank, they are carbs. running no fuel injection, 6 speed, no reverse though, and runs down the highway easily 80 mph, also you can get 0-60 under 4 secs. with it, and you can get them on the cheap. a 250 would be on the low end of power and you would be upset.

#19 ·
The Kaw ninja 500 and suzuki GS 500 are about he best beginner bikes you can buy. both have more upright riding positions than the 600+ supersports. Both have plenty of power and both can be had for little $$ so do big deal if you drop it.

Buy one of those used, ride it for a couple of years and then move up.

#16 ·
I just started on a new Harley-Davidson Nightster. First ever motorcycle. I haven't done a lot of miles so far but I am learning in the middle of Geneva traffic :eek:

The bike is fine, I haven't dropped it yet and I hope to be amongst the 1 % or so who never do.

Even though the bike has only 60 or so Hp it is plenty fast for me.

I can recommend the bike as a good bike.

The Honda Hornet I rented from the motorcycle school was also very easy to ride but a lot more powerful.

#18 · (Edited)
Being a BMW forum I have to recommed something like this:

1975 BMW R90/6

There's no school like the Old School.

Don't get a rice rocket, pfft - dime a dozen.

TONS of used Ducati Monsters out there.
I like the bike a lot, but if you get one you really need to know how to adjust the Desmo valves - that at a dealer is very exp.

#23 ·
TONS of used Ducati Monsters out there.
I like the bike a lot, but if you get one you really need to know how to adjust the Desmo valves - that at a dealer is very exp.
2 valves aren't bad at all, last time I did the wifes 620- 4 hrs. Haven't done the 916 yet, it'll be due this summer. I've heard the easiest way to do a 4 valve is to drop the engine out of the frame.

Another Ducati advantage if you start out on a 620, and get bored a 900 or 1000 ds will slip in with out to much difficulty ( same engine mounts, have to open up the holes 1mm for the 'big' engines ). Changing to superbike forks and rear suspension is another common mod.

#26 ·
I recommend not going for any late model 600's. These are essentially track bikes and all of them have on/off torque curves and relatively high seats. An early '90's or earlier model would probably be ok.

Other than that, most have already pointed you in the right direction with the SV and Ninja 250/500.

Also try to keep in mind what type of riding you'll be doing. Unfortunately, many people buy bikes that are not well suited for their riding. Of course, the end decision is always the buyer's but I think buying an R1 to cruise on the street is overrated. An SV or Monster has more performance than any rider could possibly use on the street and is much more ergonomically friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.