BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Some Cobb experience

14K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  ModBargains.com 
#1 ·
I've been running Cobb AccessPORT on my 535i Sport for a couple of weeks. Installed Stage 1 Sport Stock Throttle v401 about a week ago, and love it. It makes the car feel smooth as silk ... smooth acceleration and shifting. Even my wife loves it ... although she always is a bit nervous that I'm going to screw up our bimmer.

Today installed Stage 1 Aggressive Stock Throttle v401, and was taken aback by the extra power. Drove around for a while and decided to put it back to Stage 1 Sport, because it felt more "daily drivable", while Agressive didn't seem quite as smooth. Of course, when I'm in the mood I'll change it back to Aggressive.

Running 93 octane here, so even Drive and Sport modes kick butt ... while Agressive kicks a$$. :thumbup:

For the heck of it, I made some quick runs while monitoring the boost. They were run in regular automatic Drive, and all I did was hit the throttle to "passing gear" (as we used to call it). RPM went to about 6k each time. Boost for Stage 1 Drive maxed at 14.4 psi, while the Aggressive maxed an 17.1 psi. (That's another reason I went back to Sport. I felt that there's no need to work the turbo's too hard on a day-to-day basis ... just my feeling).

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey what's up Burnie. Im now running stg1 aggressive map also but I am using the linear throttle map. The stock throttle map lets you push the pedal down less to get more power. I like the linear better since it feels smoother when I press down the pedal and when I really press down the car goes into take off mode. The sport mode was fun but I'm going to keep mine in aggressive mode. If you are worried about the boost, which ive see other cars running 16-17 psi max, you can datalog a couple of runs and send them to Cobb or post them on their forums for examination.

#3 ·
Thanks for the great write-up. I am exactly like you - want a healthy bump - but not at the expense of over stressing the sweet in-line 6 we have. Im planning to order my cobb in a few weeks. It has been so hot here I thought it would be better with cooler ambient temps while I install and 'learn' my new Cobb tune. Also, I think Cobb was on the verge of going to a new version for the N54 - as it had been in beta for a while. I too use 93 octane. You mention it is very smooth - is it also noticeably quicker in sport setting?

#4 ·
You mention it is very smooth - is it also noticeably quicker in sport setting?
Yes, a lot quicker and smoother than the factory settings. I used the Drive setting for a little bit, but it didn't do much for me.

#5 · (Edited)
Glad to hear that you're happy with the COBB AP as it definitely gives the car the extra power and kick it deserves! The v4.01 and v4.02 Off-The-Shelf maps for BMW N54 Cobb AccessPORTs have been promoted to General Release. The v4.01 and v4.02 maps now supersede v3.01 maps, which have been archived. COBB Tuning recommends upgrading to the latest version of the maps for optimal performance. These maps can be downloaded from the BMW AccessPORT Off-The-Shelf Map Database. For instructions on downloading maps, transferring them to the AccessPORT and flashing them to the BMW ECU, please see the Step-by-Step Map Download and Install Tutorial.

#7 ·
I assume the production version 401 is the same as the beta 401 ... am I correct? Or do we need to download a copy of the General Relase version. If they are different, normally they would have a different number.

#6 ·
When looking at the various maps, they list requirements for the various stages.

What do these abbreviations mean in that chart? IC, DP

For "Intake", I'm assuming they are referring to a dual cone intake?

#12 ·
Just out of relative curiosity, what are the rough estimates on cost for each of these mods?

Intercooler?

Downpipe?

Catback exhaust?

#13 ·
Uwhusky, you have all the items installed, however they are stock BMW parts that are somewhat restrictive. In order to run Maps besides stage 1 you would need to upgrade certain components to allow the tune to work its magic of giving you more POWER. For instance stage 1+ fmic(front mounted inter cooler) aggressive, your car needs 93 octane and a upgraded inter cooler to cool a larger volume of air. The pricing for most of the items above is ~$800 to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you want more power then the stage 1 map you need to do some upgrading. The DCI you are looking at will help your car breathe easier and is a step in the right direction. I'm going to look at a drop in intake though for my car.

#20 ·
There are not many makers for 5 series parts so your selection is limited. Even though the 3 series has the same engine, all 3 of the above parts are different.

CP-E is the only company I know of that has a confirmed fit in a 5 series for an Intercooler. It's about $800 and expect $400 for the install. You WILL need their oil cooler or have a shop good enough that can fabricate a bracket to move the OEM oil cooler.

AR Design is, again, the only company I know of with a verified fit for a 5 series. You can expect to pay about $1000 for catless, or $1300 for race catted DP's. Install on these things are a huge pain. Expect a 5 hour install at about $500 or so. You also need to check out your local emissions policies to figure out which is the best direction for you to go. Catless gives you a little more power but its stinky. If you have a sniffer emissions policy you'll probably fail it. Our cars have two sets of cats as well. If you go catless, you'll need to get the O2 simulators so you don't have a contant CE light.

Catback exhaust - there are a couple of options out there, most above $1000. I got a magnaflow I am happy with. $800 and the install was cheap $150. I had them remove my secondary cats (so I am running one set of race cats) but the O2 sensor is right after the race cat, so removing the secondary cats will not cause you an issue with the computer, but it could cause issues with emissions.

#23 ·
All the supporting mods do is allow you to go more aggressive with the tune. Believe me, there is a huge gain between stag 1 and stage 2 plus. Around 40hp. It all depends on how far you want to take your car though.

The intake should be used with any tune. Adding an exhaust did little for me, performance wise, besides making it sound better. It did, however, remove the back pressure from the system (turbos do NOT like back pressure) and make me about 40 lbs lighter (about a 4hp gain in weight reduction).

The high you go with any tune the more in diminishing returns you will get unless you are making serious engine modifications (bigger turbo, single turbo, engine swap, etc). When you consider the price of those items though, the amount of HP we get, per $$ from a tune is outrageously cheap!

#24 ·
All the supporting mods do is allow you to go more aggressive with the tune. Believe me, there is a huge gain between stag 1 and stage 2 plus. Around 40hp. It all depends on how far you want to take your car though.

The intake should be used with any tune. Adding an exhaust did little for me, performance wise, besides making it sound better. It did, however, remove the back pressure from the system (turbos do NOT like back pressure) and make me about 40 lbs lighter (about a 4hp gain in weight reduction).

The high you go with any tune the more in diminishing returns you will get unless you are making serious engine modifications (bigger turbo, single turbo, engine swap, etc). When you consider the price of those items though, the amount of HP we get, per $$ from a tune is outrageously cheap!
I told myself i was going to only do a cobb ap and nothing else. But I'm finding myself looking at the bms dci and a remus exhaust. I know many have argued this point with stock box w/bms dropin vs bms dci. The only thing is having to uninstall when i take it in for servicing and vice versa. That is what has me on the fence still from pullin the trigger. Damn these cars get expensive.

#29 ·
Well, it's been about a month since I loaded the Cobb AccessPort Stage 1 Sport (Stock Throttle) to my bimmer (2009 535i Sport). And I must say, it's been a blast! Even my wife enjoys the extra acceleration and power.

But alas, I had to uninstall the Cobb a few minutes ago because it's time for a "check-up". Now have almost 46k miles on her, so it's due for an oil change, spark plug change and intake filter change. Also, since I'm so close to the 50k miles end of warranty (I didn't opt for and extended warranty) she'll be getting a good once-over at the dealer, along with checking things that I've identified as possible problems. (We've had 3 bimmers from this dealership in Orlando since 2005, have had the same service rep the whole time, and so far at least, have been well taken care of).

Can't wait to reload the Cobb next week though! :thumbup:

#30 ·
I just drove a rental X3 today up in Chicago. OMG, what a pig. Engine sounds so rough when pushed. I am so used to my tuned N54 engines that anything else feels like a slug on the road. Made me appreciate how amazing these tuner options are. Whole different world.
Drove home from the airport afterwards in my OWN CAR! Swishing through highway traffic as if they were cones on the road. Hallelujah!

#31 ·
Just ordered my Cobb from ModBargains - Alan was very helpful. Question I have for current Cobb owners - (I have 93 octance) should I start with a sport or aggressive mode? I plan to use stock throttle mapping. Want to maintain the nice linear and smooth power delivery that the N54 has - and also do not want to throw codes and other issues.
Let me know your thoughts.
Also, do you notice more power with cool ambient temps? I assume so.

#32 ·
Hey Mermar, it really depends on you. The power is very, very addictive so I tried aggressive, then I tried sport and went immediately back to aggressive. Neither sport or aggressive should throw codes for you. Just make sure you have fresh plugs and you should have no issues at all. Remember that a tune will tax your plugs harder then normal so plan on changing them every 30k or so when tuned.

es, when the temp drops, the air will become denser and you'll have more power. This is the reason some guys (me included) run methanol injection which cools the charge air temp (and raises the octane).

Have fun with the cobb!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.