BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission issues

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  caneschik 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 328i automatic with steptronic. I have almost always driven the car in manual mode. This morning, I put the car in manual mode as always and before I got to the end of the street, the computer put it back in D. I looked down and the shifter was still to the left and should have been in M. When I stopped, I put the car in park and then back into M and again, the computer put it back into D. Is this a common problem? What can I do to fix the issue?

#2 ·
Broken wires in the shifter are a common problem leading to this issue. Do you have paddles on the steering wheel?

#6 ·
The few times that the computer has put it in D when it should be in M, it has been harder shifting because I don't realize that it is in D and has already up shifted and then I up shift it again. When I put it back to the right where it should be for D, it seems to shift smoothly. Something else that I am worried about now is that sometimes I get a hard knock when the car is sitting still. I read on some other forums that other people had the same problem and then lost the whole transmission. I am getting very scared now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.