BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

removing resonator only??

159K views 437 replies 80 participants last post by  derekwilkinson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?

#34 ·
I just jizzed

It sounds AMAZING

#35 ·
hahaha dude you gotta post a sound bite...I am dying

#38 ·
Wow. When it comes to the sounds of these cars we have been beating this subject to death for quite a while but it all comes down to what you want. How about putting in the AFE intake and deleteing the air box? I've heard that soind and it sounds really nice. Everything else was stock. Let us hear how this setup sound eurowned.

#39 ·
What a great thread! This is fanstastic guys!!!

I should be receiving my AFE intake this weekend. I'll post vids up shortly after the install. After WhiteDropTop and Eurowned post of vids of their respective set ups, ill make the decision which way I go; then will post more vids.

#40 ·
the iphone 4 video sound quality sucks, ill try to use other devices to record the sound,
it actually sounds alot better than the video does.
ill prod take the one inside the 6 and outdoor!

#41 ·
Wow that sounds perfect. I think this answers my question on what to do. Nice thing about this mod is it's simple and saves a ton of weight.

#42 ·
it actually sounds alot better in person, idk why it sounds like that in the video :(
but yeah you should def get the muffler out! it was freaking heavy haha

#43 ·
nice work sounds great! when I remove my resonators I will post a sound bite

#45 · (Edited)
I would think the resonators and cat would serve as a muffler. As long as you are not exceeding and noise laws, it shouldn't be a problem. Mufflers are for noise control and not emission related. You guys are making me want to make a trip to the muffler shop.

eurowned, car sounds awesome and really isn't loud. How much difference is noticed at highway speeds.

#48 ·
We are not sure yet really. I have magno flow mufflers and removing all three resonators and adding an Xpipe next week. If I had stock exhaust I would remove the stock mufflers instead fo the resonators just for the weight savings. Got to be close to 75lbs or more I would think? Thn if not loud enough for my taste I would remove one of the resonators and so on.

#50 ·
Just put your stock tips back on

#51 ·
just for the record, state laws govern what you can and can't do to your motor vehicle.

several states say that you cannot remove any portion of the pollution control system.

make sure you check your local laws and regulations, especially if you have mandatory inspections. if your state doesn't have inspections you just have to find a way not to piss off an officer enough to necessitate him getting on all fours to check the under carriage.

#58 ·
my shop said they cant take the OEM tips off and put them back on because they would be too short.

he recommended going with a 9" tip so that way it wouldn't be immediately obvious that that it does have mufflers.

and a "nice" Christmas card to your mechanic should get you around any inspection issues you might have. wink wink

#59 ·
my shop said they cant take the OEM tips off and put them back on because they would be too short.

he recommended going with a 9" tip so that way it wouldn't be immediately obvious that that it does have mufflers.

and a "nice" Christmas card to your mechanic should get you around any inspection issues you might have. wink wink
look back at this thread at post #30. Maybe show your muffler shop. EUROWNED just had it done. Your shop sounds like they just want to sell you tips

#64 ·
After reviewing all the great info here, I decided to replace my 2010 650i coupe stock mufflers, which is too quiet, with meganaflow mufflers and tips. I think this mod will produce just enough sound for me. Called the dealer and was told that the BMW performance exhaust is not available for 650 and muffler delete may be illegal and void warranty. The dealer asked me to wait till new car warranty expires. But I can't wait for 45 months. I will settle with less db and possilbe less warranty trouble. Bought mufflers and tips from e-bay for around $210. Will install after receiving them.
What is your decision, guys?

#67 ·
Yes Kbakker is that all resonators removed (3) and an x pipe with magnoflow mufflers? I have magnoflow mufflers and removing all resonators Friday and installing an x pipe

#70 ·
Yes but barely and only really any different sound while in sport mode. it is a deep sound sort of muscle car sounding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.